PDA

View Full Version : Multi page park guides from the 80's! do you have one?

Noah
01-14-2006, 10:04 AM
Hi, I do not know about you but I sure do miss the old multi page park guides from the 80's that used to provide information to the guest about each attraction and each eatery. The multi page guides really gave the paying guest an idea of what the parks offering's were and allowed you to sit and make a plan with your kids regarding what to do. The current park guides are nothing more than a map containing names of the attractions with no indications of what the attraction is. I miss the old park guides, they made great souvenirs to take home and plan the next trip with! (As a kid that was one of my favorite things to read through and get excited about the next Disneyland trip with)

The Mouse Is Back
01-14-2006, 10:24 AM
Yes, I have them! I'm pretty sure I have at least a few from the '70s also.

They used to have special seasonal versions, too. I miss them also. They were a wonderful FREE souvenier (which I think is probably the main reason they were discontinued).

It's fun and sometimes a little sad to look through them at what stores, attractions and rides used to be at DL.

I also have several different versions of ticket books, the original "three-season salute" passes (the precursors of the AP), and even an old parking ticket thingy - really old - I think parking was a dollar or so!

-Allegra-

The old man
01-14-2006, 06:21 PM
I have a number including the 25th anniversay edition.

David

Opus1guy
01-14-2006, 09:05 PM
I think I have almost every one ever made since the 60's until they discontinued them. Honest. They were issued by season back in the early days.

Noah
01-14-2006, 09:24 PM
It would be great if you could scan the guide into a PDF or some other document for those of us who do not have a physical copy! :) Hint, Hint <smile>

Opus1guy
01-14-2006, 09:41 PM
It would be great if you could scan the guide into a PDF or some other document for those of us who do not have a physical copy! :) Hint, Hint <smile>

Well...first I'd have to find them in the Opus Archives. Next...they're like 30 pages each. That's a lot of scanning. Then...there's like hundreds of different ones. If you've got a specific year, date and issue in mind, I could keep my eye out for it and if I find it and have a couple of free hours to scan and format that one issue...you might get lucky.

Have you tried Google? There's got to be lots of web sites out there that have these, you'd think.

The Mouse Is Back
01-15-2006, 11:45 AM
This is actually one of my "projects" for the coming year - to scan all my DL memorabilia and old pics and make them available on the web.

Now...how long it will take me to actually get around to doing it...that's another matter entirely. :p

-Allegra-

Noah
01-15-2006, 01:46 PM
Yeah it sure is lot's of work, well if anyone ever gets a chance to scan one of the books from a summer in the mid 80's that would be great.
I sure wish DL would start doing this again, now with day admissions up to over $60 dollars it sure would be a nice thing to bring back to the guests. The current maps are pretty bad in the attraction information department.