PDA

View Full Version : Have You Attended a DVC "Spiel"?

Wendi
01-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Or whatever you'd call it. I seem to recall reading something here about someone being stopped at the Disney Vacation Club kiosk outside of the DLH to go to their little marketing ploy and they were given maybe $100 or $150 in Disney Dollars. Maybe I've totally lost it, not sure... but if this sounds like it's true, can you let me know what you know about it? I don't think it would be worth it to join at this time since we only go to DLR regularly and not WDW, but for that amount of pocket change I might be interested in finding out more about it. If you've attended one, can you tell me how long it lasted and if you felt highly pressured or like it was a complete waste of your valuable Disney time???

TIA!

JeffG
01-14-2006, 09:49 AM
If you have no interest in joining, I think it would be very unethical to attend the presentation just to get whatever compensation they were offering for your time.

-Jeff

Wendi
01-14-2006, 09:59 AM
I understand your point, but I didn't say I had no interest... just probably won't be joining NOW. I would like to know more about the plan though... so it's not just for the comp. I have read a lot that the plan isn't worth it if you're using it for DLR though, which is where we go most often.

RStar
01-14-2006, 11:31 AM
I wouldn't call it unethical. They "pay" you for your time. They want to get the word out, and the more that hear it the better. They know a persentage will not join. But perhaps if you don't, after seeing the info you may tell someone else about it. Or you may join later like Windi said. They are comping you for your time, not bribing you to join. If you spend the time there, they compinsate you for that time, nothing more.

nursemelis374
01-14-2006, 02:34 PM
I do not think it is unethical. Their entire goal is to just get people to listen to their presentation. There are probably tons of people that went to a timeshare presentation not thinking they would buy one who ended up making a purchase. Sometimes the people working the booth get money or credit just for getting you to sign up and attend. I say go for it! Just be prepared for the pressure.

Rhiannon8404
01-14-2006, 02:41 PM
We went when we were there in November. I told the guy who was scheduling the meeting we were very likely NOT going to sign up this year, but maybe in the future. He said, no problem, listen to the speech, get your Disney $$, and think about it.

When we got to the meeting it was really interesting. We actually came away thinking hard about joining. We told the woman no way would we be making a decision within a year and she said no problem, gave us a ton of information and her card, and said call when you're ready. We got our Disney $$ and treated ourselves to dinner.

We were totally surprised by the lack of hard-sell. A few times she alluded to the fact that they had some special financing rates for a limited time, but that was it. We were impressed.

Wendi
01-14-2006, 02:52 PM
We went when we were there in November. I told the guy who was scheduling the meeting we were very likely NOT going to sign up this year, but maybe in the future. He said, no problem, listen to the speech, get your Disney $$, and think about it.

When we got to the meeting it was really interesting. We actually came away thinking hard about joining. We told the woman no way would we be making a decision within a year and she said no problem, gave us a ton of information and her card, and said call when you're ready. We got our Disney $$ and treated ourselves to dinner.

We were totally surprised by the lack of hard-sell. A few times she alluded to the fact that they had some special financing rates for a limited time, but that was it. We were impressed.

Rhiannon, do you remember how much they gave you for attending and how long the meeting lasted? Was it right there at the DLH?

Rhiannon8404
01-14-2006, 02:58 PM
Rhiannon, do you remember how much they gave you for attending and how long the meeting lasted? Was it right there at the DLH?

The DVC offices are behind the Disneyland Hotel. The meeting was exactly an hour. I think they have it timed out. It think we got a $50 Disney Card.

Petersgj
01-14-2006, 04:00 PM
Does anyone belong to the DVC? I have heard that it isn't too good for the DLR area compared to DW. Are there properties around DLR?

Rhiannon8404
01-14-2006, 04:15 PM
Does anyone belong to the DVC? I have heard that it isn't too good for the DLR area compared to DW. Are there properties around DLR?

We asked about DLR area properties when we were there. They said they are hoping to have DVC properties in the area sometime in the next few years. They were vague, but hopeful sounding. It's definitely in their plans. In the meantime, we were told we could use our points at the various DLR hotels.

JeffG
01-14-2006, 09:09 PM

We are members and, no, it isn't particularly worthwhile unless you are planning frequent trips to Walt Disney World. We do annual visits to Orlando (as much due to relatives in that area as due to WDW), so we do find it to be worthwhile.

While the points can be applied towards a stay at any Disney-owned property, they go considerably further when staying at any of the DVC properties than they do at the other hotels. At this point, the only DVC properties are at Walt Disney World (Old Key West, Saratoga Springs, Villas at Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk Villas , and Beach Club Villas), Vero Beach, Florida, and Hilton Head, South Carolina. There are no DVC properties near Disneyland or anywhere else on the West Coast.

To give a point of comparison, 1 week at the Villas at Wilderness Lodge (typically one of the most expensive of the DVC resorts) during one of the low-cost seasons (January, September, or the first half of December) costs 104 points for a studio, 200 points for a 1-bedroom suite, or 270 points for a 2-bedroom. The rates do get higher during more premium seasons, but are still generally achievable. You can also typically get points to go quite a bit further at Old Key West, Boardwalk, or Saratoga Springs.

During that same time period, you would need 203 points for a standard room at the Grand Californian, 161 for a standard room at the Disneyland Hotel or 175 points for a standard room at the Paradise Pier Hotel. The number of points needed goes up substantially if you want to go for a better view or for Conceirge service. The point charts don't even show the rates for suites. Obviously, you don't get nearly as much for your money at DLR as you would in Florida.

-Jeff

Mark099
01-15-2006, 12:02 AM
The key here is that if you want to be a DVC owner in California, you do not want to buy ownership in a WDW resort.

Wait until a California resort is being sold.

jdee
01-15-2006, 05:45 AM
About 5-6 years ago I worked in the Ivine, CA area and was out exploring one day and was driving along the coast, posted was a sign for Disneyland condos or vacation club. I was always going to go back and get the phone number, but never did. It might have been more in the Newport Beach area. The view was fantastic over looking the ocean. Does anyone know about that property?

Mark099
01-15-2006, 09:10 AM
About 5-6 years ago I worked in the Ivine, CA area and was out exploring one day and was driving along the coast, posted was a sign for Disneyland condos or vacation club. I was always going to go back and get the phone number, but never did. It might have been more in the Newport Beach area. The view was fantastic over looking the ocean. Does anyone know about that property?

That was sold shortly before or after completion.

spectromen
01-16-2006, 06:03 PM
That became a Marriott timeshare - Marriott's Newport Coast Villas.