PDA

View Full Version : AP and reg. ticket question (s)

lotsafuzz
03-29-2002, 01:23 PM
Hello all!

I've got a question about AP tickets if ya'll don't mind.

I'm in the process of purchasing my AP for my vacation in June (have to drive to the next state to get to the nearest Disney store....a hardship I *somehow* handle ;)). The main reason I'm getting the AP is the discount I can get at the DLH.

My question is this: The person I am going with doesn't need an AP, so we are getting him a 5 day park hopper pass (at a great rate through the local military base...$83). Is this going to pose any problems? I'm assuming only one of us needs an AP for the hotel, and we will only be going inside the park for 5 days, but am I missing something that is going to cause problems come trip time?

Also, I've requested the Sierra tower at the DLH (I understand it is only a request, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will get that tower).....did I pick the right one? Not to sound too dorky, but I *want* the TinkerBell on the wallpaper with pixie dust and I *want* to be able to look out my window and see the park. (What I'd *really* like to do is just take a sleeping bag and bunk with Mickey, but it seems that isn't all that likely :().

Ghoulish Delight
03-29-2002, 01:38 PM
You should have no problems at all with the different tickets. There are only two things I can think of to pay attention to. 1) When buying food, purchase it together since you'll get a discount with your AP on anything over $10 at many places, and 2) your friend will need a handstamp to reenter (one from each park if you plan on hopping back and forth) while you, once you receive your AP with your photo, will not. Otherwise, you only need one AP to get the hotel discounts, and no other issues should present a problem.

Can't help you on identifying the towers. I haven't stayed at an on-site hotel in about 15 years.

Lani
03-29-2002, 01:39 PM
Before you buy your AP, make sure to visit MouseSavers (http://www.mousesavers.com), a wonderful Web site put together by Mary, because AP holders get discounts, but this depends on room availability; you are not always guaranteed a discount.

There are various promotions going on simultaneously, whether they be with a Disney Club card, AP, or special deal. It is possible you can find a better deal than with the AP; it depends on when you plan to go.

Do your math carefully. If you think you will only visit this once for the next 12 months, you are paying $149 for the privilege of discounts, but you will want to see if the total room discount comes out to less than $66, since that is the price difference between your AP and a military pass your friend is getting. That is, find out if your friend can sponsor you a ticket and you can enjoy that savings yourself.

adriennek
03-29-2002, 02:38 PM
If you're getting the premium AP (I'm assuming you are since you're going for discounts, but I could be wrong,) consider this:

When you use your AP to get a discount, YOU have to be the person using it. If your friend wants to make a purchase on his/her credit card but the AP has your picture on it, they won't let your friend get the discount. I've even had them deny the discount using my AP on my husband's credit card. So that's just something to be aware of.

Adrienne K

lotsafuzz
03-29-2002, 05:29 PM
Hello all.

Ghoulish Delight: Thank you! Having some problem getting into (and between) the parks was a major concern. Given the price difference between my AP and his regular 5 day pass I figure they can stamp his *head* for all I care! Haha!

Lani: I've been to mousesavers (what a WONDERFUL site) and that is where I actually found out about the AP hotel deal. I've actually already made my reservations at the DLH so I'm not concerned about the room avaliablitly (they told me my room was held w/ my cc). It appears, please correct me if I'm wrong, that all I need to do is show up with my AP to get the good rates.

I checked out the other offers that you mentioned, but I really think the AP hotel deal is the best bet going right now for me (for the dates I'll be there...June 2-7th).

I had my heart set on staying IN the park and lucked upon this AP deal where I could stay for $99 a night (vs. the $230-50 I'd found everywhere else). I'm actually sponsoring this trip....'tis my dream, not his....but he will work it off lugging my packages around the park! ;)

adriennek: Thanks for that tip! Do you know if you can combine AP discounts with American Express discounts? I actually signed up for an American Express card just for this trip, well before I got hooked on this AP deal. I *do* plan on doing tons of shopping this trip! :)

adriennek
03-29-2002, 09:00 PM
Originally posted by lotsafuzz
Lani: I've been to mousesavers (what a WONDERFUL site) and that is where I actually found out about the AP hotel deal. I've actually already made my reservations at the DLH so I'm not concerned about the room avaliablitly (they told me my room was held w/ my cc). It appears, please correct me if I'm wrong, that all I need to do is show up with my AP to get the good rates.

Just to clarify because your response here confuses me a bit: When you called the DLH to make your reservations, you told them that you want the AP special deal *when you made your reservation* right? You can't just say: "Ok, I have an AP, please adjust my rate." But yes, if you have your reservation made as an AP deal, you 'just' need to show them your AP when you go to the hotel.

adriennek: Thanks for that tip! Do you know if you can combine AP discounts with American Express discounts? I actually signed up for an American Express card just for this trip, well before I got hooked on this AP deal. I *do* plan on doing tons of shopping this trip! :)

Nope, you can't combine discounts. And I know someone will correct me if I'm wrong BUT-- I believe that the AmEx discount is good on purchase of $50 or more while the AP discount is good on purchases of $10 or more. So if you're buying less than $50 in one location, you'd need the AP discount. You probably know this part better than I do- but I think AmEx is 15%? I know that AP is 10%.

I don't know what the restrictions, if any, are on AmEx discounts and food. AP discounts apply to buffeterias (generally speaking) and are 10%.

Adrienne K

lotsafuzz
03-29-2002, 09:12 PM
Originally posted by adriennek

Just to clarify because your response here confuses me a bit: When you called the DLH to make your reservations, you told them that you want the AP special deal *when you made your reservation* right? You can't just say: "Ok, I have an AP, please adjust my rate." But yes, if you have your reservation made as an AP deal, you 'just' need to show them your AP when you go to the hotel.
[/B]

Adriennek, You are correct....I made the reservations using the AP Super Sunday rates (asked for by name), I was told I had to show my AP at check in so I would be charged the SS rates. My impression was if I did NOT show my AP I would be billed at the higher rates.

At first, thinking the AP's were somehow numbered, that I would be in a pickle because I don't have my AP in hand while making the reservations, but that was not the case.

I forget what the American Express discounts were.

Thanks for the added info!