PDA

View Full Version : Details about Grand Californian

kkmickey
01-12-2006, 04:59 PM
Ok, I have some rather detailed questions that I just KNOW you all can answer for me.

1. If you have a comp pass (like for those with reservations for Club 33) and you are staying at the Grand Californian, can you take advantage of early entry?

2. If you have reserved a standard room, what is the most likely way to get a free upgrade, or is it even possible?

3. In terms of room location, where is the best part of the hotel to stay to ensure the least amount of walking? How would I request that area?

4. Are there mini fridges in the rooms, or in the mini bar is there extra room (for sodas, etc)? If you request a mini fridge, is there a charge?

5. For a standard queen room, are there just two queen beds, or do they also have a day bed in the room like at PP and DLH?

6. How much are massages, and what times do they operate? I also heard a new spa was taking over (in Feb?).

Thanks in advance for you answers!

WITron
01-12-2006, 05:35 PM
The only question that I can answer is question 1. They have been testing allowing guests staying at all 3 hotels to use Early Entry any day that is offered. All you need is your park admission and your card. This can change at any time, so be sure to ask if it is still available.

janell
01-12-2006, 06:18 PM
1. As long as you have your ticket, you can get in early if you are staying at one of the Disney three hotels. But if you have Club 33 tickets, I’m not sure if you can pick them up the day before or not. Last time I went, we had to go to guest relations the morning of our reservation. I am not sure what time they open.

3. When you call for your reservations, ask the CM what rooms will be less walking. They have two sets of elevators in the hotel. And let the CM know that your preference is to have a room so you don’t have to walk so far. They can’t guarantee rooms, but if its noted that you prefer something they will do there best to accommodate you.

4. It’s a mini bar and I don’t think there is room for extra stuff. I usually being a cooler. I am not sure if they charge of the refrigerator.

5. Standard rooms are 2 queens with no day bed (I wish) even congers doesn’t have day beds. There is just two chairs and table. The baloney has a small table and two chairs, so there is a bit of extra setting.

6. Not sure of the prices of the spa, but I was there over New Years and they had a flyer in the room and I think the spa may be open already, but I am not sure.

Darkbeer
01-12-2006, 06:28 PM
The Massage room is temporarily on the 5th floor, the workout machines are outside in a large tent near the pool and DCA.

The fridge in the room is already stocked, and if you touch something, it shows up on your bill. Have them lock it, and ask for a mini-fridge. If they have any available, they will bring one up at no cost.

The Grand Californian rooms are somewhat small, and they do not have rollaways, they will offer a sleeping bag instead.

SeansMom
01-12-2006, 06:37 PM
2. We reserved a standard room and didn't want to get stuck looking at the parking lot. I requested, per fax, a room overlooking the courtyard with the monorail running through it (can't remember the name). On hindsight, I'm sure I could have requested a view room, if available, as first choice, and a courtyard as second, or whatever it is you want. They did a fantastic job of meeting all our requirements AND making our DS 12th birthday a great one.
3. Wish I could remember our room number, but we were facing the courtyard and had a VERY short walk to the elevator. The time we had a theme park view room we walked for what seemed like miles to reach the elevator!
Have fun!

pisces
01-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Question 2. I payed for a standard room, and requested a courtyard view about 6, or 7 months in advance. Once I arrived at check in.....without my asking, or even wanting, they automatically upgraded me to a 6 floor, theme park view. I don't know why they did that, or how it came to be. I would have been very happy with just a courtyard view. But, I was absolutely floored when I got up to the room, and saw a view of absolutely everything, a little bit of the Sun Wheel, the lit pool at night, Grizzley, partial Hollywood Tower etc....

So it is possible to get an upgrade, but I don't know how or why they do it. I usually stay 6, or 7 nights, so maybe they feel that warrants it, but I really don't know. It may have been just a once-in-a-lifetime thing, and frankly, my philosophy is to just pay for the exact room view you want, and don't rely on them doing upgrades.

Question 3. Walk to where? Where are you walking to that you need to be close to? DCA? Parking? The Original Theme Park?

Somewhere on the net, you should be able to get a room map of the GC. I wish I had my map in front of me.

Walking isn't such a big issue when you are staying at GC. The hotel is so pleasant, and the wonderful plush carpet with thick padding underneath, that walking the corridors is a lot of fun. More fun than walking on outside pavement, or along Harbor Blvd, that's for sure!

sierranevada
01-12-2006, 07:33 PM
Echoing some of the answers -

Currently, they are still letting all DLR hotel guests use Early Entry EVERY day that it is offered - you just show your hotel charge slip - the white slip of paper they give you at check in.

You can request a room close to the elevator if that is what you are referring to. I also have a .jpg map of the GC that I can email you. If you want it, PM me with you email address and I will send it to you.

No mini fridges and don't touch the mini bar - they are on sensors and you will be charged. We requested a mini fridge ahead of time and it was waiting in our room - no charge.

As far as I know, no daybeds and no rollaways - just sleeping bags, like Darkbeer said.

Hope that helps.

kisroo
01-12-2006, 07:51 PM
I agree with sierranevada~ask for a room close to an elevator. If you get a room by an elevator, you will either be by the elevator that is closest to DCA entrance and Storytellers or by the one that exits out by the "great room". This one is closer to DtD and the DL entrance.

Not sure about upgrades. I have a feeling that pisces might have been "upgraded" due to the hotel being sold out of the type of room he/she requested. We've been upgraded at hotels when our requested room wasn't available (e.g., we booked a queen room and were upgraded to a king suite when I said a single queen wouldn't meet our needs...).
I've only stayed concierge at the GCH, but that's what's happened at other hotels.

The fridge~they only have a mini bar fridge like Darkbeer said, but both times we've stayed there they have brought up another fridge free of charge.

The concierge queen room had 2 queens. The concierge king had a couch and chairs but no daybed. I've been told they are exactly the same as the standard rooms. No rollaways~they give you a pad and sleeping bag, I think.

If you called or emailed the hotel, I'm sure they could give you info on the spa. Massages were done on the 5th floor (like Darkbeer said earlier) because they were renovating.

Opus1guy
01-12-2006, 08:12 PM
1. As long as you have your ticket, you can get in early if you are staying at one of the Disney three hotels. But if you have Club 33 tickets, I’m not sure if you can pick them up the day before or not. Last time I went, we had to go to guest relations the morning of our reservation. I am not sure what time they open.

Yeah. That's the key if you're talking about Club 33 comp'd tickets. They are only available the day of your reservation. But I think the Guest Relations Window at California Adventure opens at least an hour before the first Guest is let in (Early Entry or not), so I don't think you'll have a problem. But you might want to call Disneyland just before your visit and ask what time Guest Relations opens on the day of your visit.

But other than the logistics of that...any comp ticket can be combined with your Early Entry privilege.

princess fiona
01-13-2006, 08:30 PM
When we stayed at DGC in Dec. I asked for an upgrade when we checked in. No dice. They were completly booked. We stayed in room 534 and had a great view of Downtown Disney but quite frankly I was so tired from walking in the parks and to our room that I really didn't care about the view. The area in a standard room just outside the bathroom and to the entry door is large enough for a blow up bed with room to spare. We always bring a twin size bed and have no problems.