PDA

View Full Version : Who has been to Disneyland on the 4th of July.

Claudia
01-12-2006, 10:36 AM
We live in Texas and I only get to go to Disneyland once a year. We take a tour bus and we go to 3 other parks besides Disneyland, my concern was , how are the crowds for that day since it will be on a Tuesday in the summer and a holiday. Keep in mind that we only have one day at the park. Also will they have the fireworks show and also Fantasmic? I just want to go and have fun and not stress out about the crowds. Last year we went and we didn't get to see the fireworks show nor Fantasmic and my kids really want to see them this year. Thanks in advance.

Andrew
01-12-2006, 10:43 AM
July 4th is the single busiest day of the year at Disneyland, with New Year's Eve and the week after Christmas following closely behind. All entertainment offerings will be running--shows, fireworks, parades, Fantasmic!, etc.

The fact that it's a Tuesday may mitigate the crowd level ever so slightly, but not much. If you can go any other day, even the 2nd or 5th, you'll have more success in seeing the things you want to see. The 5th might be rather less busy than the 4th, since many people will take a four-day weekend and go back to work on the 5th.

MsYumiBr
01-12-2006, 11:18 AM
Let me share with you my 4th of July experience. Keep in mind I am very crowd tolerant normally. Do you know what it is like to get stuck in a crowd after a parade at Disneyland? It is much worse after the fireworks on the 4th of July. I had my daughter in an umbrella stroller and she was only about 2 when people would literally step over the stroller!!!! It was very stressful and sickening. I should have found myself a corner and wait for the crowds to dissipate but we started out in the middle of the street and got caught. As far as earlier in the day, the lines were long, we waited for about 2 1/2 hours for Blue Bayou (no reservations back then) and 45 minutes for the train. The fireworks were an extra long show but I would never suggest bringing small children to that chaos. Get a room at the DLH with concierge and camp out in the concierge lounge to watch the fireworks if you do decide to go during that time. It's summer. Plan to stay during the week, go EE to the park and enjoy the pool in the afternoon. Get the Fantasmic! buffet as a treat so you can watch the show without fighting the squatters. It is a horrible feeling holding a place for 3 hours only to have your view impaired by the poor little kids whose parents walk up 15 minutes before the show and look at you with sad faces. I can't say no. Then end up babysitting through the show. Ugh! Get the buffet. Check in 1 hour before they tell you to check in if you get the riverside view. If your kids are bigger, and you can handle long lines, summer is my favorite time to go to the park. It has lots of street performers, lots of interaction from the vendors, great music, great shows, all the rides ar eopen and it is more magical in my opinion. When you have to deal with all the lines and crowds, you have a sense of accomplishment when you finally get on the ride or watch a show. I hope this helps.

Claudia
01-12-2006, 11:35 AM
I still can not decide, but thank you for your opionions. By the way my kids are 15, 12 and 9. We could take the tour on another day besides the 4th but that would mean we would miss pirates and like my kids said, it won't be the same if we don't get to on pirates so off we go to fight the crowds. I really am not worried about the rides, as long as we get to go and just be there and see the shows. I have never seen the fireworks show and the last time we saw Fantasmic was in 2000, the kids really don't remember it. We went last year on March 14, it was not that crowded but we didn't get to see any shows since it was on a Wednesday. We shall see what we decide but more than likely we will be there on the 4th. Wish me luck....Last year we got to go to Knottwberry Farm, Sea World and Universal Studios besides Disneyland and when we got home I asked my kids were they had the most fun and my 11year old son (then) said, Disneyland, even though the rides are scarier at Knotts, just the fact that we are in Disneyland makes it funner.I guess since i brought them up on Disney and i love everything Disney, they have it in their blood.

dlandnut
01-12-2006, 11:59 AM
I know this will really tell you how old I am, lol, but I was at Disneyland on July 4, 1976 (a biggie in 4th of July history). It was the most CROWDED, BUSIEST, pain in the ******* day I have ever experienced at DL! What a mess! What a crowd! Ok, I've calmed down now. Consider another day, if possible. You won't regret it. :)

bassett1976
01-12-2006, 12:17 PM
As already stated, the 4th of July is insane. Remember to get to F! or the fireworks early (Like 2+ hours early) to where you want to watch them and just take it easy. Also, do not try and leave the park right after the fireworks. I believe one year it took my wife and I three hours to get from Small World to our cars and onto the 5 freeway. INSANE!!! Two years ago we got a room at the Carousel Inn (Sp?) and walked back easily.

charpaul
01-12-2006, 01:40 PM
I have been to the 4th at Disney for the last 2 years now. It IS crazy and the park IS full!! But I LOVE going there that day.

My advice is to get there early and DO NOT LEAVE THE PARK!!!! It may close on you and you would be stuck outside.

DO get dining arrangements made FAR ahead of time (I think you can do this at the 90 day mark now???)!!! If you have not seen "Remember Dreams Come True" this would be a hard day to really enjoy the show.
They do whatever the "regular" firework show is and then after a short delay they do a special 4th of July Fireworks. (I assume they have to reload some of the launchers and reset the show...) For the last two years they have used the music from An American Experience in WDW (Golden Dream) and added a traditional salute to the Armes Forces. It is a very moving show!!!!
They usually add a 3rd Fantasmic! to your day at 11:30PM. It is a fun filled day, but VERY crowded!!!! I do not really try to do too many attractions that day becasue the wait time is LONG.... Also be prepared to wait until the park closes at Midnight... do NOT try to leave after the fireworks!!!!
If this is really your only day to go it can be a really fun and memorable day - just keep in mind that you need to be prepared for the crowds and be prepared to wait for EVERYTHING!!!! Get those dining reservations early!!!!!

sierranevada
01-12-2006, 07:00 PM
Okay - my experience was slightly different. We were there last July 4th (2005) and went expecting horrible crowds. Yes - it was crowded but it never closed to new admissions that day and was not unbearable. We booked the 50th tour that day and it was the single best thing that we did in advance! Not only did we did backdoored onto three rides, we had reserved seats for the fireworks. All I can say about the fireworks crowd was.... WOW! I have never seen that many people shoulder to shoulder in DL and it was the same in the esplande betweed DL & CA! But the firworks were extra special that night and it was so worth it.

Now, my thinking is that my experience may be different than the past because the offical 50th bday celebration was coming several weeks after that so maybe people chose the 7/17 weekend instead of 7/4.

Good luck and enjoy!

adriennek
01-12-2006, 07:02 PM
I still can not decide, but thank you for your opionions. By the way my kids are 15, 12 and 9. We could take the tour on another day besides the 4th but that would mean we would miss pirates and like my kids said, it won't be the same if we don't get to on pirates so off we go to fight the crowds.

Why would you be missing Pirates on another day? Is that because you'd be coming before June 16 if you don't come on July 4? Just curious because it would be open any day the park is, of course, unless you were drastically changing your schedule.

Adrienne

Gone2Disneyland
01-12-2006, 10:10 PM
As a local, I went there spur of the moment last year for the first time. Got there mid-afternoon as I recall, went by myself, and didn't find it quite as crowded as I expected. I remember waiting for the fireworks show in the Hub a couple of hours before it started, just hanging loose, eating my corn dog, and relaxing. So I wasn't spending much time navigating thru crowds to go on rides. But it did get pretty dense in the Central Hub leading up to the start of "Remember..." The second fireworks show, Golden Dreams, was printed on the park guide and introduced shortly after the end of "Remember..." That was pretty cool too, and I was tickled that I got two fireworks show for my two hours of waiting.

Then, rather than get stuck in a sea of pushy, cranky people all exiting at the same time down Main Street, I randomly headed into Tomorrowland to wait things out. And that was the best idea in the world, because that was when I discovered The Fab Four for the first time. They're a Beatles cover band that I learned play in the park from time to time, and they were absolutely incredible. Maybe it was the surprise of finding myself in a really good mini-concert at 11pm at the Tomorrowland stage, but it was a terrific way to end the evening. In fact, as I was walking back to my car after midnight (the trams shut down early that night, as I was warned by the little note I received as I entered the parking structure, so everyone was walking all the way back to their cars in the parking lots), I remember thinking every night at Disneyland ought to end with live Beatles music. :)

Claudia
01-13-2006, 07:46 AM
Thanks again everyone for your advice. I talked it over with the kids, and it official, we will be there on the 4th. I can't wait. I think I am more excited than the kids. Oh, and to answer adriennek's question, the other dates the tour has are for March and June but before the 16th so yes if we go another day we will be missing pirates. That is why we decided to brave it and go on the 4th. Thanks again everyone!!!!! :)

THpoohbear
01-13-2006, 09:42 AM
I was there in 2004. I honestly don't remember too much about the day, meaning crowds didn't stick out in my mind as being insane. However, we did stake out a spot for fireworks hours ahead of time. We brought a blanket to help reserve our spot (just me and my hubby), then I went off to get dinner at Pizza Port. I had a very difficult time making my way back to my hubby. I was trying to be as polite as I could, but got angry glares all the way around. We were sitting in the hub in the spoke that faces the castle. Most people around us were nice and we chatted. They had the normal fireworks show and then a second 4th show. I remember being slightly disappointed at the 4th show, probably because it couldn't compare with the normal one.

I don't remember it taking unusually long to exit the park after the fireworks. I do not tolerate crowds well at all. If it taken us hours to get of the park, I would have remembered. If you choose that day, you'll have fun if you get there early and use fastpasses wisely. Don't leave the park in case they won't let you back in, and you'll have to sacrifice plenty of time for good seating for the fireworks. Have fun!

TowerofTerror
01-19-2006, 02:23 PM
I have gone on the 4th of July several years in a row the park is usually at capacity. I say your best bet is to get there early.