PDA

View Full Version : One Day Disneyland trip from Seattle

ryanthekiwi
01-11-2006, 11:26 PM
Hi there, I'm surprising my girlfriend this weekend with a quick trip to Disneyland. We will be arriving at LGB on Saturday at 10:45, and quickly heading over to the park for the day, then leaving early Sunday morning. I have a few questions:

Since time is of absolute importance as we only have one day (and not even a full day) should I arrange in advance for a taxi to pick us up or are there always taxis waiting at the airport?

I am assuming since it is a holiday weekend we can expect large crowds, but how many rides can we realistically expect to get in from about noon until midnight when the park closes?

Thanks everyone and if there is anythign else I should know about my trip (tips or what not) please fill me in. Can't wait!

PrincessLeia
01-12-2006, 06:08 AM
I would suggest getting ridemax www.ridemax.com to make the most of your limited time if rides are important! :cool:
Have fun!

sandrajamrock
01-12-2006, 08:03 AM
Ryan , I am sooo envious ...even if it is for just a day ! I am from the Seattle area as well and never thought it was possible to do a quick trip like that to Disneyland. So you have given me hope ! Please give details or a trip report when you get back ... I'd love to do the same with my husband soon as a surprise.
:D Have fun !

P.S. What hotel are you staying at?

got2travel
01-12-2006, 09:00 AM
There have always been taxis waiting when I've flown into LGB. But I would suggest checking into a car rental. I've been able to get deals on a car that would either be equal or less exspensive than a shuttle or taxi. Check mousesavers.com for rental car codes for discounts.

There is the threat of rain this weekend, so that may keep the local crowds away. Find Darkbeer's Joy of Fastpass thread to make the most of your fastpass options. But just let the excitement of being in Disneyland be enough. Then whatever you get to do will just add extra magic.

That is such a special birthday present. Have a great time.

Bolivar
01-12-2006, 10:26 AM
By early Sunday morning I assume you mean a red eye and you aren't getting a hotel room, is this right?

I don't know if spending the night is a cost issue, a time issue or something else, but you can find pretty inexpensive rooms that aren't too bad. If you could add a half day on Sunday morning it would really make a big difference. Park opening being the best time to be there as far as the crowds are concerned. That would then be a Sunday afternoon flight home.

This would of course add time and cost, but not a lot of either.

ryanthekiwi
01-12-2006, 02:44 PM
To answer some questions,

Yes it is a redeye on the trip home and while I considered waiting until the afternoon for a flight and getting a hotel, but I made this decision based on the fact that we will get home at a decent hour. We both live in Vancouver so that is a 3 hour drive after we leave the airport. We are both experts at sleeping in airplanes so we should be able to get some rest on the flight home.

About renting a car, I'm only 21 and from what I understand American rental agencies tend to only rent to 25+, or at least they will charge a healthy surcharge. I would LOVE to have a car, so if anyone knows of an agency that will rent to me for one day at a reasonable price please let me know.

And I will definitely write up a trip report once we get back!

Bolivar
01-12-2006, 03:18 PM
What about extending the other way -- flying Friday night and then having all day in the park on Saturday?

Honestly the trip sounds fantastic without doing that, these are just the things I would be thinking about. Three quarters of a day in the park seems a bit rushed -- I would rather do that than not, but the whole day would be even better.

It's been a long time since I was twenty-one so I have no idea about the car.

murdock23
01-12-2006, 08:58 PM
check with enterprise. last i checked you only had to be 21 to rent with them.

have a good time man

ryanthekiwi
01-12-2006, 10:31 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, I rented from Enterprise, and only 32 bucks all in. Much cheaper than a taxi and it will suit the trip a lot better.

murdock23
01-13-2006, 06:54 AM
good. glad to see that, that worked

JookyG
01-13-2006, 10:14 AM
FYI, I flew into LGB last month with 2 friends (from Seattle, incidentally), and the one-way taxi fare from the taxi stand at the airport is a flat $34 to Disneyland. Since I was there for several days, it was way cheaper than renting a car, which is always more of a hassle than it's worth if you don't plan on going "off campus."

The return taxi fare was a bit higher, but I think that's because I didn't negotiate it beforehand. I asked the hotel (the Tropicana) to call me a taxi, and I got a van that ended up being about $45. I should have specified that I wanted a taxi from the company that brought me in the first place. Instead, they probably called their buddy who runs a shuttle service. Oh well, after all the money I spent at the parks, the extra $10 didn't hurt too bad.

And what an awesome surprise for your gf!!!

chrisaustx
01-13-2006, 05:34 PM
It will rain all weekend mostly likely, no parades, no fireworks, a lousy weekend for Disneyland, please plan your day wisely.

DatabaseDiva
01-13-2006, 06:04 PM
Ryan , I am sooo envious ...even if it is for just a day ! I am from the Seattle area as well and never thought it was possible to do a quick trip like that to Disneyland. So you have given me hope ! Please give details or a trip report when you get back ... I'd love to do the same with my husband soon as a surprise.
:D Have fun !

P.S. What hotel are you staying at?

We take several one or two night trips from Seattle to Disneyland each year. We either fly late Friday evening or early Saturday morning. We fly into Orange County. The airport is small, and the rental cars are on site. We can be at Disneyland within an hour of landing. We usually stay at the Anaheim Sheraton, but that is because I'm in the Sheraton loyalty program. We have stayed at several hotels in the area, and they were all fine. We fly back on Sunday evening, around 8. We usually leave the park around 5 or 5:30.