PDA

View Full Version : confusion about HoJo

zandy
01-11-2006, 07:50 PM
We are planning a trip to DLR in early May and have found a good package deal with Howard Johnson for the accomodation. For a slightly higher price, we could use the Carousel in the package. Before I found this deal, I was leaning toward the Carousel due to its proximity to the main gate. I guess what I'm wondering is, how reasonable is the walk to/from HoJo? I have read conflicting times in minutes (anywhere from 5-12, depending on the review/post), and also things like, "HoJo is great, it's so close, etc", and also, "HoJo was nice, but with 2 small kids it was too much of a walk". We will have our 2 kids, ages almost 7 and 2.75 (the younger will be in a stroller), as well as my parents (61 and 70, both in reasonable shape). We will be going back to the room (at least some of us, inlcuding the 2-year-old) every afternoon for naptime. Is it reasonable to do this while staying at HoJo? We will not be driving or taking the ART---it will be walking only for this crew.
Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

WITron
01-11-2006, 08:31 PM
We stayed at the Carousel for one night on our trip and the walk was very short. The longest part was waiting for the light to change. I have never stayed at the Ho Jo's, but it just a little further north of Carousel. I would say maybe an additional 5 minute walk. It all depends on how much walking you think you can handle.

Darkbeer
01-11-2006, 08:47 PM
Alex Stroup figured out the different distances to the Main Entry Plaza...

http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=46907

The Carousel is about .35 miles, HoJo's is just over .5 miles, both are fairly close. HoJo's is basically just east of Tomorrowland, so think about walking from the Tomorrowland RR station to the Main Entry Plaza, and that is about how far you need to walk down Harbor Blvd.

I am a HoJo's fan, but see which hotel will give you the better deal.... check MouseSavers.com for current rate discounts.

mamatojon
01-11-2006, 08:49 PM
We stayed at HoJo with a four year old and a six month old and went back to the room every day for a swim and a nap. I would say it was about 10-12 minutes or so, more if my son dawdled on the walk, less if we caved and pushed him in the stroller. It was doable but not ideal, but it was also 94 degrees in August, I think the heat had much to do with our irritation with the walk. The rooms at HoJo are definitely bigger and the pool/sprayground is great, much better than Carousel's little rooftop pool. I would put the walk as about 5 to 7 minutes more than Carousel's, worth it to me even with the aggravation. You can take the ART to HoJo, but it goes all over and back before it gets there, count on at least a 20 minute ride to go a 10 minute walk, LOL.

Have a great trip!

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
01-11-2006, 08:50 PM
I have never stayed at Carousel. We LOVE HoJos. We have stayed there numerous times over the last 2 years that we have had APs. It is a futher walk, but not much further. We do it with our guys, 4 and 2, both in a stroller.
To me the walk is worth it for the great staff, clean and spacious rooms.

zandy
01-12-2006, 09:35 AM
thanks to all who have responded. To me, the HoJo's sounds nicer, even if it is a touch further. I'm assuming it won't be swelteringly (?) hot in early May, so we can handle the walk, I think. I think it would be worth it for the nicer pool, which I know my 6 year old will be wanting to do during his brother's nap.

Barbossa
01-12-2006, 10:12 AM
Carousel is closer than HoJo, but HoJo is plenty close. I've stayed at both and HoJo is the superior hotel.

mamatojon
01-12-2006, 02:57 PM
thanks to all who have responded. To me, the HoJo's sounds nicer, even if it is a touch further. I'm assuming it won't be swelteringly (?) hot in early May, so we can handle the walk, I think. I think it would be worth it for the nicer pool, which I know my 6 year old will be wanting to do during his brother's nap.

Yeah, I think May will be fine. Like I said it was mid-August when we went - big difference. Have a great time! :)

SCUBAbe
01-12-2006, 03:14 PM
the walk to the park was ok, but after walking around both parks and dtd all day without a break the walk back was LONG. We haven't stayed at that hotel agagin. We are rarely in the room and for us it's not worth it.

davnat
01-12-2006, 03:28 PM
We stayed at the carousel inn in October and the pool was unswimable it looked like it hadn't been cleaned in months. If the pool is a big deal to you I would stay at Hojos, from what I have heard the rooms are nicer as well.