PDA

View Full Version : Desert Inn vs. Park Vue Inn?

Jungle Cruiser
01-10-2006, 08:36 PM
We are planning a trip to Disneyland in February. We are looking at both the Desert Inn and the Park Vue Inn and have not stayed at either hotel. There will be six of us in the room 3 adults, 2 children and a baby. Anyone have experiences with either hotel that they are willing tto share? Any help would be appreciated.

SandraVB79
01-11-2006, 02:01 AM
Stayed twice in the Park Vue Inn, once in July 2002 (5 nights, 1 adult), and once October 2005 (5 nights, 2 adults).
I really like the hotel, since it's clean, very very close to DL, the rooms are rather big, and they have remodelled the hotel (great bathrooms now!)
Every day, you get wonderful big fluffy towels (I liked tose!) free continental breakfast, a nice pool and a sundeck where you have a great view of the fireworks.
I will return to Disneyland, I am 200% sure I will stay again at this hotel.

I haven't been to Desert Inn, talked to people who were there, and they told us they were going to try the Park Vue Inn the next time they went; they weren't too happy about Desert Inn.

ralfrick
01-11-2006, 07:41 AM
We've stayed at the DI twice, and will likely do so again. They have a lot of suite options, good for a party of six. PV only has 4 suites total. DI is also closer.

Cheers.

uvsc_wolverine
01-11-2006, 09:12 AM
I stayed at the Park Vue back in October and I found it adequate. We weren't looking for a lot of frills, and that was what we got. I thought the the continental breakfast was kind of sub-par, there was no hot tub, and the room we had smelled like smoke (although they very promptly sent us some really powerfull air freshener when we complained about this). The service was good, the room was fine (other than the smoke smell), good-sized room and one of the nicest bathrooms I've ever seen in a motel. I stayed there for the price and the proximity. If I could get a good price on it, I would stay there again. That being saidm you could get a nicer place for probably not much more. What you're really paying for is the location, but it is a fairly well-maintained motel and we found it quite comfortable - and it was really nice not having a long walk or a long wait on a shuttle to get back to our room!

davnat
01-11-2006, 01:21 PM
We have stayed at the desert inn once before and are staying there again in March. You can't beat the prices, we booked a family suite that is essentially two rooms with four queen beds for $89 a night. Plenty of room with a sofa and a table and chairs & two tv's, all of their rooms also have a refrigerator and microwave. They also have a heated pool and spa that is not big but nice enough to swim in. You can't beat the location it is so much easier to walk to the park then try to catch the shuttle or pay to park.

tinklover25
01-11-2006, 01:29 PM
we usually stay at park vue nice sized rooms we normally take up about 4 rooms when we go. it is right across the street with ihop in the parking lot. nice not to have a long walk at the end of the night.

Petersgj
01-11-2006, 01:36 PM
We usually stay at the Park Vue, although their price has gone up quite a bit the last few years. I think with 6 people, you would need a suite. You can't beat the location, and if all you're looking for is a place to crash, then they are a good choice.

SandraVB79
01-12-2006, 01:13 AM
If you put yourself on the mailing list of the Park Vue Inn, you get emails with special codes you can use upon online reservation, to get special rates
If you want, I can look among my emails if I still have some

disneyhound
01-12-2006, 04:56 AM
We just returned home Monday from a four night stay at the Park Vue. The rooms were nice size. The first two nights we were in room 125, downstairs with a set of stairs attached to the exterior of one of our walls. It was pretty noisy! Plus we had a family above with two little girls who ran everywhere! The staff was very cooroperative, and kindly moved us to the upper floor away from the stairs. The free breakfast was typical. The location cannot be beat. The Park Vue Inn and BW Park Place Inn are the closest hotels to the crosswalk. They have a convience store in the hotel that was handy to pick things up at. We would stay again; ask for the upper floor!

mkraemer
01-12-2006, 08:52 PM
We have stayed almost exclusively at the Desert Inn for the last 10 years, and we go the DL several times (if not more) a year. We don't want fancy, and we don't want expensive (we could go across to the Disney properties for that). DI has remodeled a couple of times since we started staying there (last time, it looked like another remodel was getting started). It's basic. We like getting a room that will sleep six. We like having a refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker. My kids think the continental breakfast is OK; I take my own breakfast food and eat in the room. We've gone there so much that really, whenever I call, I get a room. And I get a good price for that room. So I don't shop around.

We have had friends stay at the DI on our recommendation, and in general, everybody has been quite pleased.

Many years ago, when it was called something else, we stayed at the Park Vue. Again, basic motel, clean enough and cheap. It bothers me now that people stand in the PV driveway and solicit the passersby--I have to wonder why they do that. If it's so good, they shouldn't need to be hawking the place. I know some people who've stayed there as regularly as we've stayed at the DI, and they've said the prices have gone up in the past year.

The price is good at the DI, and the two hotels are right next to one another on Harbor, right across from the entranceway to DL--the location can't be beat.

mkraemer
01-13-2006, 08:46 AM
I wonder if I sound biased toward the DI...

Does anybody else get Christmas cards from them???:cool:

Jungle Cruiser
02-08-2006, 11:04 AM
Thanks to everyone who took the time to post a reply. Your input is appreciated. I think we will stay at the Park Vue Inn, but only because we are driving down in a small motorhome and I don't think we can park at the Desert Inn. Thanks again.

Malcon10t
02-08-2006, 11:30 AM
Thanks to everyone who took the time to post a reply. Your input is appreciated. I think we will stay at the Park Vue Inn, but only because we are driving down in a small motorhome and I don't think we can park at the Desert Inn. Thanks again.My preference is the Desert Inn. However, if you have the motorhome, it will be an issue. Park Vue has slightly better parking.

markarkaymat
02-08-2006, 01:01 PM
I am starting to question my hotel reservations again. I thought $84.10/nt was good for a standard room at BWPPI but davnat's family suite at the desert inn for $89/nt is making me think it's not so great. I did find $62/nt (avg.) for Park Vue but thought that BWPPI seemed like a much better choice for the extra $20/nt. Should I book the $62/nt for Park Vue or just keep my $84/nt at BWPPI? We're staying 10 nights so it does make a somewhat sizeable difference money wise (I don't mind paying more but if the rooms and hospitality are very similar I would rather just stay at Park Vue and save a little extra for something else).

FMTX
02-08-2006, 01:07 PM
How many in your party? If more than four I would say Desert Inn Suite. Parking was a little challenging at night there, but I think that is the case at all the hotels along there.

markarkaymat
02-08-2006, 01:17 PM
How many in your party? If more than four I would say Desert Inn Suite. Parking was a little challenging at night there, but I think that is the case at all the hotels along there.
We have 2 adults (my mom and I) and DD who will be 2. I haven't been able to get a price quote for Desert Inn yet. But I am guessing what i thought was a good rate (84/nt at BWPPI) isn't sucha great rate after all. How do people get 49/nt at HoJo's? My searches always come up to about 99/nt. I am a AAA member and I work for the gov't. I do read mousesavers and subscribe to that as well but I haven't been able to find that great of a deal.

FMTX
02-08-2006, 01:37 PM
Can you get a Good Neighbor AAA package at BWPPI. If you can do that I say do that as I think you can get Enhance Fastpast with that which would be worth a little extra. Can anyone confirm this?

DangerMouse
02-08-2006, 01:40 PM
The $49 rate at HoJo's is an Entertainment Rate. You have to have a card from the Entertainment Book (www.entertainment.com), and you have to book early in order to get this kind of a rate. It is only for a standard or deluxe room at the HoJo. Premium rooms are more $$.

vicbella2
02-08-2006, 01:50 PM
Can you get a Good Neighbor AAA package at BWPPI. If you can do that I say do that as I think you can get Enhance Fastpast with that which would be worth a little extra. Can anyone confirm this?

Enhanced Fastpasses are only included when staying onsite (Grand Californian Hotel, DIsneyland Hotel, PAradies Pier Hotel). So NO enhanced fastpass with a aaa package with BWPPI.

mw9955
02-08-2006, 02:01 PM
I am starting to question my hotel reservations again. I thought $84.10/nt was good for a standard room at BWPPI but davnat's family suite at the desert inn for $89/nt is making me think it's not so great. I did find $62/nt (avg.) for Park Vue but thought that BWPPI seemed like a much better choice for the extra $20/nt. Should I book the $62/nt for Park Vue or just keep my $84/nt at BWPPI? We're staying 10 nights so it does make a somewhat sizeable difference money wise (I don't mind paying more but if the rooms and hospitality are very similar I would rather just stay at Park Vue and save a little extra for something else).

I stayed at BWPPI - and we loved it! Microwave, fridge, 2 large beds, couch come with standard rooms.. pretty large and clean for the 3 of us.. I wouldn't second guess.. but then again, I've never stayed at the others... Does Park Vue or Desert Inn have microwave and fridges too?

Malcon10t
02-08-2006, 02:13 PM
I stayed at BWPPI - and we loved it! Microwave, fridge, 2 large beds, couch come with standard rooms.. pretty large and clean for the 3 of us.. I wouldn't second guess.. but then again, I've never stayed at the others... Does Park Vue or Desert Inn have microwave and fridges too?Yes, and for me the difference for the Desert Inn is the couch is a seperate room (with door), so when I am ready for bed, I can close it on my teen boys, who will stay up all night! Also works for putting little ones down in the bedroom area, and shutting the door so adults can watch TV and chat in the couch area.

Nancy
02-08-2006, 07:09 PM
I just made reservations with WDT and am staying at a "good neighbor" hotel. When asked where I would like to stay I told them anyplace except the Desert Inn and Suites. They told me that they were no longer on their list of good neighbor choices. If that helps.

SandraVB79
02-08-2006, 11:48 PM
If anyone needs the "special prices" code out of the emails you get when you're on the mailing list of Park Vue Inn, just PM me!

Malcon10t
02-09-2006, 07:39 AM
I just made reservations with WDT and am staying at a "good neighbor" hotel. When asked where I would like to stay I told them anyplace except the Desert Inn and Suites. They told me that they were no longer on their list of good neighbor choices. If that helps.Why didn't you like them? For us, they have been great. NEVER an issue, and the rooms are huge. True, they are not a DLH, but neither is the price. Getting a suite for 10 for $189 is fantastic!