PDA

View Full Version : Splashless......continued

Pages : [1] 2

Superty88
03-28-2002, 02:23 PM
So do you think that MousePlanet is correct about it being closed all year? Or do you think they are over exsagerating. Im planing to go to Disneyland around June 15th and according to the Disney website it will be open around May 25th. I really really hope it is open!

innerSpaceman
03-28-2002, 02:31 PM
Well one bad truth will lead to another. If the Critter County ground is indeed all torn up, then I wouldn't expect any Splash Mountain for quite a long while.

tabacco
03-28-2002, 02:32 PM
It's possible that it will reopen... It seems that a project of such magnitude would take some careful design work, and it's possible that in the meantime they could reopen Splash for the summer months, until they're ready to start construction.

tabacco
03-28-2002, 02:33 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman
Well one bad truth will lead to another. If the Critter County ground is indeed all torn up, then I wouldn't expect any Splash Mountain for quite a long while.

Eh... I think 2 months is plenty of time for them to complete repaving. They did Fantasyland pretty quickly once they really got going.

Ghoulish Delight
03-28-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by tabacco
It's possible that it will reopen... It seems that a project of such magnitude would take some careful design work, and it's possible that in the meantime they could reopen Splash for the summer months, until they're ready to start construction. Judging from the fact that the amount of scafolding has been gradually increasing around the mountain over the past couple months, it's looking like they are just starting a major project, not just finishing a minor touch-up. The removal of the wall that would have blocked the public's view of the Pooh construction is another strong hint. They probably wouldn't do that if they expect to have the public over there by summer.

I would also tend to trust Al's track record. Whether you agree with his cynicism or not, you can't argue with the fact that he's usually right about such executive decissions. He doesn't guess. He has some high up sources, and always triple checks any "rumors" before saying anything. Not that he's never wrong (sometimes execs do change thier mind last minute), but in this case he's got enough visible evidence combined with his track record to convince me.

zapppop
03-28-2002, 04:00 PM
An article from the Orange County Register suggests the ride will re-open in July.

To read the story, CLICK HERE (http://www.ocregister.com/business/splash00327cci.shtml).

Superty88
03-28-2002, 04:10 PM
ahhhhhhhhhhhh very very depressing if Splash isnt open when i get there = ( it the best ride in the park.

lisap
03-28-2002, 04:12 PM
This isn't really a "high up source" but the captain of the Mark Twain said last week he heard the ride could be closed for two years if they decide to create new logs and widen the whole splashway. Where he heard this was unclear--maybe he reads Al's column.

Superty88
03-28-2002, 04:14 PM
*crossing fingers*

HBTiggerFan
03-28-2002, 05:39 PM
well my best freinds boyfriends sisters uncles mothers brothers sons nephews daugher-in-laws 2nd cousin twice removed who is married to this one guys wifes brothers neices sisters cousin who is related by ex-step-marriage to this girls brothers son said that splash will re-open when it re-opens :confused: :confused: :eek: :rolleyes:

MammaSilva
03-28-2002, 05:41 PM
and there you have the most correct answer so far!!!!!!!!!!!!

:rolleyes:

HBTiggerFan
03-28-2002, 05:48 PM
Why thank you MammaSilva! You have NO idea what I had to go through to get this reliable information either! Sheesh, that was exhausting, I think I am going to go take a nap now or maybe call the brother of my cousins daughters friends mothers son from her 1st marriage with the man who she has her 3rd marriage with who was married to her sisters neice.:eek: :rolleyes: :p :D

MammaSilva
03-28-2002, 05:50 PM
oooohhhhhhh if you do that then you can post the information we all need for the Space rehab!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tabacco
03-28-2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by lisap
This isn't really a "high up source" but the captain of the Mark Twain said last week he heard the ride could be closed for two years if they decide to create new logs and widen the whole splashway. Where he heard this was unclear--maybe he reads Al's column.

TWO years? In that time they could probably demolish Splash and rebuild it from the ground up. I think at the absolute most, nobody is talking more than 6 months to a year.

Ace
03-28-2002, 10:27 PM
well, that's the reasonable answer... but not the Disney management answer. Sorry Tabacco...with thinking like that, you'll never make it as the next Eisner.

all4thx
03-29-2002, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by innerSpaceman

If they can pour my 3,900 sq foot concrete driveway in a day or lay pavers on it in 3 days they can certainly finish all of the walkways around Splash Mountain between now and May 24 the date that the park has for the attraction to reopen.

The ground being torn up says only one thing. They're redoing the pavement in this area of the park. It says nothing about the situation with Splash Mountain.

Superty88
03-29-2002, 04:09 PM
I think it would be kind of foolish to start heavy heavy updates on Splash Moutain just befor the summer.

innerSpaceman
03-29-2002, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by tabacco
TWO years? In that time they could probably demolish Splash and rebuild it from the ground up.
Uh, does anybody remember how long it took them to build Splash Mountain, and how many delays and delays there were in the opening? It was the Test Track of the west coast.

DisneylandBoy
03-29-2002, 05:17 PM
There is a very good article on Laughing Place.com that answers a whole bunch of questions. Here's the link:

Laughing Place Article (http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID111110.asp)

MonorailMan
03-29-2002, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by DisneylandBoy
There is a very good article on Laughing Place.com that answers a whole bunch of questions. Here's the link:

Laughing Place Article (http://www.laughingplace.com/News-ID111110.asp)

Good Link, I clicked it and you will too. :)

Cadaverous Pallor
03-29-2002, 06:21 PM
Well, that Laughing Place article was a little disheartening, and I hope they're wrong. I am in total agreement with Al on this one (did I just say that?). If they are going to do it, do it right. Slapping some sort of half-baked restraint system on the current logs, thus either reducing capacity of the ride, reducing visibility of the show, or both, would be an absolute travesty. So if the choices are A) ruch so they don't lose one stinking summuer and open with lines you haven't seen since it debued plus not being able to see the whole show or B) deal with one measly summer without it to ensure that neither the ride capacity or the ability of the rider to fully enjoy the ride for years to come are compromised, I vote for plan B.

Of course, if there's a plan C, that being open it as is with a little refurb, keep the logs with no restraints, I'd much prefer that. But that seems highly unlikely.

Hrmmmm. Has no one considered Matterhorn style seatbelts? Would not restrict the riders, it would be absurdly easy to implement, no requirement to modify the track, and it would not impact the load time too much.

Nigel2
03-29-2002, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by all4thx

If they can pour my 3,900 sq foot concrete driveway in a day or lay pavers on it in 3 days they can certainly finish all of the walkways around Splash Mountain between now and May 24 the date that the park has for the attraction to reopen.

That doesn't quite mean the same thing since it's one thing to just pour out straight concrete and make it smooth but it's a whole different thing if the are going for a special texture or look to it that may take a bit longer. :)

adriennek
03-29-2002, 09:49 PM
Ray Gomez and Disneyland don't exactly have the world's greatest track records for "honest" answers. Just because Ray/DL PR says something's going to happen doesn't mean it will. Ray's job isn't always to give the most accurate information but to give the information that the PR factory wants the public to have.

Sure, it's possible to repave Critter Country before May 24. I'm not holding my breath that Splash is going to be back up for summer though.

Adrienne K

Ace
03-29-2002, 10:16 PM
well, when I was there on the 26th Splash Mountain was obviously not ready to open, and not because of the seatbelts. It's torn up, as well as Critter Country. They're getting ready for Pooh. There's been no actual confirmation of restraints, and I seriously doubt they will be put in. As the Laughing Place article says, the only injuries on that ride were caused by the guests and could not have been prevented by any restraints (barring over-the-shoulder, but those are illegal on "maritime" attractions... see the "Splash Restraints" thread). Adding seatbelts would not really stop anyone determined on exiting mid-ride from doing so. And as others have mentioned, why would the lawyers be so specific about a certain ride? Even if it is WDI's doing and not the lawyers, I bet they would have thought about it enough to realize it's a worse idea than light chasers...

of course, all of the above is my opinion, and since I have no proof it's probably not right.

adriennek
03-30-2002, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by Squinky
As the Laughing Place article says, the only injuries on that ride were caused by the guests

This is true on *so* many rides.

and could not have been prevented by any restraints

IMO, this isn't about preventing injury as much as looking at a jury and being able to say: Look, we did everything we could to prevent this injury. We live in a society where many people are very quick to blame someone else for their own stupidity or that of a family member.

Adrienne K