PDA

View Full Version : Tropicana Inn and Suites

rentayenta
01-09-2006, 10:08 AM
Hi Padders. I am looking for some feedback on the Tropicana Inn and Suites. We have a 2 room suite with full kitchen booked for a possible May-June trip. Is it clean, close, how are the beds, pool etc.?

All comments welcome. :)

Andrew
01-09-2006, 10:10 AM
We've stayed there, but before their recent renovation. It wasn't too bad, except for the irritating flashing light from the low-clearance driveway. That light flashes all night and if you happen to have a room anywhere near it, it will blow right through the curtains and light up the room.

poohlover
01-09-2006, 10:18 AM
We stayed there just one night in October (since our reserved room next door at the Carousel wasn't available until the next night). We had just a regular double room. It was quite small (smaller than the Carousel), but it was very clean, beds were fine, and from what I saw, the pool looked nice. Plus, the Tropicana is only one hotel away from the crosswalk to Disneyland, and that counts for A LOT in my opinion!!

MammaSilva
01-09-2006, 11:08 AM
We stayed there in December. It's the first driveway to the left as you're crossing Harbor from the resort. It has a mini mart, a coffee shop they pass off as a food court and another little shop with the usual souvieners. It has a laundry room with 3 washers/2 dryers, and the 2 room suite with the kitchen totally rocks.

JookyG
01-09-2006, 11:15 AM
I always stay at the Tropicana--except for the one time I stayed at the Ramada Maingate and regretted it. Was at the Trop in Decmeber. The remodeling isn't all that--mostly fresh paint and carpet. The rooms are still small, but you've got a suite, so I'm sure it's much bigger. But you're not in Anaheim to see the inside of a hotel room, so I figure it doesn't matter too much. I'm only there to sleep and shower. The beds and pillows are decent--not bad for a budget motel.

My only complaint about the Tropicana is the rubber sheets they put on all the beds. I've never made an issue of it, since I figure all the motels in the area do it because of all the bed-wetting kids, but I sometimes have a hard time sleeping on them. They squeek whenever you move, and they don't breathe. But it's worth suffering for staying so close to the park. Besides, I'm usually so exhausted I don't care by the end of the day.

Oh, and the continental breakfast is crappy. But that's pretty standard in the maingate area too.

You can't get much closer to the esplanade than the Tropicana! To put things in perspective, it's a 1/4 mile walk from the front of the Tropicana to the Disneyland entrance turnstiles. It's almost a 1/2 mile walk from the Disneyland Hotel, through Downtown Disney to the entrance turnstiles. As the crow flies, it's the same distance between the Tropicana and the center of the esplanade, as it is from the esplanade to the castle drawbridge. (I LOVE Google Earth!!!)

You'll probably pay at least $25/night extra for a "maingate" motel, compared to one a few blocks away. But given how big Anaheim blocks are, it's a big difference. I find it's well worth the money. It's just a 5-minute walk to the park. It makes it easy to slip away to the room during crowded afternoons, to change clothes or take a quick power nap. On a long high-season weekend day, a mid-day break makes all the difference!

jrsharp21
01-09-2006, 11:21 AM
Our last trip we had the suite with the kitchen. Basically the kitchen is an extra mini area that can connect two rooms. It is in the back near the bathroom. Bathroom to the left (or right depending on the layout) and then to the other side is the door to the kitchen. I believe there was even a little table in the kitchen area. We had the two rooms that connect to the kitchen so they opened it up to us for free. We got a good rate on the room and it was definately worth it. I have stayed there two years ago as well and the rooms were definately alot better since the remodel/upgrade. Also the convenience store downstairs is very convenient. :)

cstephens
01-09-2006, 11:28 AM
Hi Padders. I am looking for some feedback on the Tropicana Inn and Suites. We have a 2 room suite with full kitchen booked for a possible May-June trip. Is it clean, close, how are the beds, pool etc.?

In case you haven't already taken a look, here's the review page for the Tropicana in MousePlanet's review system (http://www.mouseplanet.com/cgi/reviews/do/display.cgi?product-sku=dlrtropicanainnandsuites). I've got a review posted there from May 2005, and others have posted more recent reviews, and maybe those reviews would be helpful to you.

Nancy
01-09-2006, 01:39 PM
My only complaint about the Tropicana is the rubber sheets they put on all the beds. I've never made an issue of it, since I figure all the motels in the area do it because of all the bed-wetting kids, but I sometimes have a hard time sleeping on them. They squeek whenever you move, and they don't breathe. But it's worth suffering for staying so close to the park. Besides, I'm usually so exhausted I don't care by the end of the day.

I agree, especially about the cover on the beds. It is the only place we stay too (except of course if we can get the DLH for a good rate!!):)

crasher11
01-09-2006, 03:39 PM
We stayed there last June and really loved how close it was. It was nice not to have to wait for shuttles and when we got tired in the park we came back and had lunch or swam. The pool was really nice after a long day at the park. The room was nice, clean, and well kept. We got there before check in so they had a place to store luggage too. Here is a couple of pics from the Tropicana Inn. You might also try searching it on trip advisor for other reviews

1. looking back from the Disneyland Walkway across Harbor Blvd, Tropicana Inn is the third hotel to the left.
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/crasher11/harborblvdcrossing.jpg

2. The pool area
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b283/crasher11/Picture407.jpg

rentayenta
01-09-2006, 03:56 PM
Thanks for input guys! I am thinking of bringing my own sheets. The thought of rubber sheets sorta creeps me out.

The walk looks easy and the kitchen is a HUGE bonus. On our last trip my kids were asking why I couldn't just cook them dinner instead of going to dinner again. :D

junglemom
01-09-2006, 06:49 PM
The only thing I liked about the hotel was it's closeness to the park. I have a feeling we ended up in a handicapped room the tub was only a shower (not good for toddlers),the room was run down, beds uncomfortable, noisy, and a horrible breakfast. Yes the walk is fabulous, would I stay there again, no.

wwithers
01-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Um, Jenny. You already know what I would say here, so I won't say it.

But if you have to bring your own sheets....:|

MammaSilva
01-09-2006, 08:48 PM
Whit, I was just there in December...you do NOT need to bring your own sheets, in fact I can honestly say that the rooms/suite we had was as clean if not cleaner than the room I had when I stayed on property. I think what people are talking about is the protective covers they have on the matteress's UNDER the sheets, some people aren't used to sleeping with a matress protective cover and that's what they are commenting on. My niece and her husband slept in the king room and Miss B and I were in the double on the other side of the kitchen and both rooms were immaculant every day, fresh towels all folded kind of cute and the kitchen was spotless...heck they even did the dishes I left in the sink to do when we came back.....The Disneyland Hotel is a 3 star, the Trop is only a 2 star but it's 1/4 mile closer to the gates....

TTFN92
01-09-2006, 08:52 PM

All comments welcome. :)

We stayed there last March and it was nice but the beds were HARD :eek: . I hate sleeping on a hard mattress. It is clean and it is close so I couldn't complain about the hotel because of those things. My kids swam but my DH took them so I can't comment on it but they didn't complain about it so it must have been fine :) .