PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Mansion - Jack Overlay [merged]

Pages : [1] 2

cabozone
01-08-2006, 10:00 PM
I was talking with a shopworker near the Haunted Mansion and she told my wife and I that this was the last year that they are going to do the Jack overlay on the haunted mansion. Can anyone confirm this?

I always loved going during different times of the year and having it be like 2 rides.

Thanks!!

Thomas - Cabozone.com

Vegitabeta
01-09-2006, 08:25 AM
Damn, I wanted to see it!:'(

murdock23
01-09-2006, 08:28 AM
I was talking with a shopworker near the Haunted Mansion and she told my wife and I that this was the last year that they are going to do the Jack overlay on the haunted mansion. Can anyone confirm this?

I always loved going during different times of the year and having it be like 2 rides.

Thanks!!

Thomas - Cabozone.com

This was rumored on the message boards last month. The contract with Tim Burton for the rights to the characters had expired after this year and was not going to be renewed, for reasons unknown to me

sunfun94
01-09-2006, 08:37 AM
Its suprising really, as it seems the HMH seems to be pretty popular. Though this year I noticed not as much advertising for the overlay most likely due to the 50th celebration?

audibleatom
01-10-2006, 08:34 AM
i have grown so fond of the overlay that i cannot imagine the mansion without it during x-mas.

murdock23
01-10-2006, 08:58 AM
and i realize i'm in the minority, but i actually like it better with the overlay

kohl
01-10-2006, 09:14 AM
My family really hopes it will be there next year. We love the HMH!!!!

olegc
01-10-2006, 10:43 AM
nothing has been officially announced as to the status - but if desire to maintain revenue is a goal of any company you know Disney will work hard to renew some sort of contract to maintaint merchandise and park special enhancements.

Monte Cristo
01-10-2006, 01:55 PM
Okay - these threads pop up every other month or so. Here goes:

The HMH overlay WILL be returning next year.

EVERY year for the past 4 have been "rumored" to be the last year due to Burton supposedly owning the rights to the characters or the overlay being sent to DW for a few years. Take your pick - either way, both are untrue. Lots of CMs have said LOTS of things over the last few years, and they've never turned out true.

This past year the only thing cancelled was the HMH merchandising event that normally preceeds its opening.

Mark it down - a couple of months prior to Christmas this year and after you will see threads popping up proclaiming THIS to be the last year of HMH. I'm sure someday, they'll be right.

murdock23
01-10-2006, 05:11 PM
Okay - these threads pop up every other month or so. Here goes:

The HMH overlay WILL be returning next year.

EVERY year for the past 4 have been "rumored" to be the last year due to Burton supposedly owning the rights to the characters or the overlay being sent to DW for a few years. Take your pick - either way, both are untrue. Lots of CMs have said LOTS of things over the last few years, and they've never turned out true.

This past year the only thing cancelled was the HMH merchandising event that normally preceeds its opening.

Mark it down - a couple of months prior to Christmas this year and after you will see threads popping up proclaiming THIS to be the last year of HMH. I'm sure someday, they'll be right.

well this is definetly great news.. glad i heard wrong!!! :)

cstephens
01-10-2006, 05:47 PM
I'm of the opinion that all these "no more HMH" rumours are started by WDW diehards who are majorly ticked off that they STILL haven't gotten HMH yet...

Monte Cristo
01-11-2006, 06:06 AM
I'm of the opinion that all these "no more HMH" rumours are started by WDW diehards who are majorly ticked off that they STILL haven't gotten HMH yet...

Heh...or the folks that hate the overlay and want to see it gone. ;)

Now I will say that normally I LOVE the overlay - in fact I may even prefer it to the original. However, I did notice that this past year it felt like it could use a bit of freshening up. Then again, the first time we rode it was in the middle of October when it was 80 degrees in Anaheim so maybe that affected my mood.

janell
01-11-2006, 06:33 AM
The only thing I have heard is that 2006 may be the last year they will have the overlay, if Tim Burton doesn't resign the contract.

It is rumored that Disney wanted to do the overlay in FL too and TB got upset saying its over doing it. And that is what I heard may be the reason TB doesn't sign again.

Again I have no idea if this is true or not.

Monte Cristo
01-11-2006, 07:35 AM
The only thing I have heard is that 2006 may be the last year they will have the overlay, if Tim Burton doesn't resign the contract.

It is rumored that Disney wanted to do the overlay in FL too and TB got upset saying its over doing it. And that is what I heard may be the reason TB doesn't sign again.

Again I have no idea if this is true or not.

It's not. Tim Burton does not own the rights to the film - Disney does. There is no contract Burton needs to sign. There will continue to be an HMH overlay provided DL decides it wants to do it. Considering the huge popularity of the attraction, it's a safe bet that it'll be around for a long while.

If Burton were really upset about the film being overexposed, than someone's going to have to account for the incredible amount of merchandise available for the film as well as the VIDEO GAME that was just released last year.

olegc
01-11-2006, 10:09 AM
It's not. Tim Burton does not own the rights to the film - Disney does. There is no contract Burton needs to sign. There will continue to be an HMH overlay provided DL decides it wants to do it. Considering the huge popularity of the attraction, it's a safe bet that it'll be around for a long while.

If Burton were really upset about the film being overexposed, than someone's going to have to account for the incredible amount of merchandise available for the film as well as the VIDEO GAME that was just released last year.

well at least two entertainment websites and two separate Disney-blogs (of which don't necessarily see eye to eye but have sources at Burbank) have stated that Burton does own the rights to the characters and principal story -which he owns as well.

So - the problem is not necessarily the movie but using the characters from the movie in certain areas - theme park shows, attractions, merchandising, etc. I think that's why you have not necessarily seen new uses of the characters within the attaraction during the overlay from at least year 2 (year 2 is when they provided the HMH "advent" characters in the loading area). Year 3 they added Oogie Boogie but that was the last major addition to any characters from the movie.

Monte Cristo
01-11-2006, 10:27 AM
well at least two entertainment websites and two separate Disney-blogs (of which don't necessarily see eye to eye but have sources at Burbank) have stated that Burton does own the rights to the characters and principal story -which he owns as well.

So - the problem is not necessarily the movie but using the characters from the movie in certain areas - theme park shows, attractions, merchandising, etc. I think that's why you have not necessarily seen new uses of the characters within the attaraction during the overlay from at least year 2 (year 2 is when they provided the HMH "advent" characters in the loading area). Year 3 they added Oogie Boogie but that was the last major addition to any characters from the movie.

Burton doesn't own the rights. The characters are all over the place - mechandizing is everywhere in DL around the holidays. The characters were recently licensed for a video game (so much for the "rumor" Burton thinks they're overexposed). There is no contract with DL to run the overlay - DL will continue running it until they decide they don't want to run it.

The deal Disney had with Burton is the same deal they had with Pixar. Pixar created the stories and characters for their movies, yet everything released under the Disney banner is owned by Disney. Same with NBC.

b-dof
01-11-2006, 05:00 PM
jim hills artlicle on the subject

http://jimhillmedia.com/article.php?id=1653

Monte Cristo
01-11-2006, 05:26 PM
jim hills artlicle on the subject

http://jimhillmedia.com/article.php?id=1653

Sigh. More of the same that's been floating around out there. The article is filled with "supposedly's" and "certain rights" and "rumored's". There's no substance to any of it.

Look at it this way: for the past few years there have been a group of people who swear that the rights are owned by Burton and this year will be the last year because the "contract" has run out. Every year they're wrong.

Hill's article just regurgitates the same stuff that's been floating around these very forums for years. His "poking around" doesn't seem to yield anything new or revealing other than he probably reads the same stuff on the same websites that we do.

Phantom2006
01-12-2006, 01:35 AM
I think HM is better the HMH.

Sub Maniak
02-17-2006, 11:48 AM
In 2005 the contract with Tim Burton for Haunted Mansion Holiday ran out. Will it come back in 2006?

stan4d_steph
02-17-2006, 11:50 AM
In 2005 the contract with Tim Burton for Haunted Mansion Holiday ran out. Will it come back in 2006?See above for previous discussion.

Sub Maniak - please check your PMs.

Another Dimension
02-17-2006, 05:29 PM
Heh...or the folks that hate the overlay and want to see it gone. ;)

Now I will say that normally I LOVE the overlay - in fact I may even prefer it to the original. However, I did notice that this past year it felt like it could use a bit of freshening up.

It was freshened up a bit this year.. again.

Some of the falling snowflake projections over the graveyard had spiderwebs in them, the centerpiece on the table in the Ballroom was definitely new & awesome, there was a new Zero location in the Ballroom, and actually several other things, new/freshened up, that I mentioned in a post on MP around Oct or November '05 ..
(it has been a few months, I have forgotten other details and specifics of HMH 05/06).

Another Dimension
02-17-2006, 05:33 PM

But yet TDL has had HMH for the past two years (with no word on 06/07), where the merch is unbelivably even more popular than it is in America.. at DL and Hop Topic combined.

If DL doesn't have HMH this year.. I think there will be a long line at City Hall.

Those that love HMH far out number those that hate it and maybe even those who are indifferent about whatever Mansion is open when they visit. As long as they experience one or the other.

Monte Cristo
02-17-2006, 08:06 PM
It was freshened up a bit this year.. again.

Some of the falling snowflake projections over the graveyard had spiderwebs in them, the centerpiece on the table in the Ballroom was definitely new & awesome, there was a new Zero location in the Ballroom, and actually several other things, new/freshened up, that I mentioned in a post on MP around Oct or November '05 ..
(it has been a few months, I have forgotten other details and specifics of HMH 05/06).

Well, then let me be a little clearer - when I say "freshening up", I mean "noticeably different". I'm not suggesting they change the overlay, but perhaps adding or swapping out characters would be a nice idea.

Vegitabeta
02-18-2006, 02:55 AM
They should send it to DLP:D