PDA

View Full Version : Another Character Meal Question!

MermaidHair
01-08-2006, 09:32 AM
Yes, I know there are tons of threads on this board about character meals but I am still conflicted so perhaps you can help.

DD is almost 5 and loves princesses, especially Cinderella. DS is 2.5 and likes Mickey and Pluto (they are on his diapers!). I have been trying to decide between the Princess lunch, Minnie and Friends breakfast and no character meal at all. I guess I kind of feel like we will be able to see the characters we want to (if we make it a priority) in the park so why pay extra for the meal. I guess that's my real question. Why pay extra for the character meal? We will only be in the parks for 2.5 days so should I pass on the meal this time? If I don't plan for one and then change my mind when we get there, will I still be able to do a character meal?

Thanks for your help!

MammaSilva
01-08-2006, 09:43 AM
of the two I'd actually recommend doing the princess meal for your daughter, you can 'wipe out' seeing most if not all in one 90 minute time frame and have a sit down they bring it to you meal all in one fell swoop! you 'can' see the characters/princess's in the park but it's hit or miss and you can count on a line at each and every one. The Minnie breakfast, Mickey doesn't show up at all, she does, and assorted other characters but never Mickey. You can however, tour his house and visit him in his movie studio in the barn which is why I recommend going to the princess meal and then doing Mickeys house for Mickey.

potterphreak
01-08-2006, 10:00 AM
I agree with Mamma (maybe because my maiden name is Silva, hee hee!), the Princess meal is truly amazing and magical. First of all, the theming is GORGEOUS and fabulously pulled off. Second, we almost NEVER see Princesses at the Park just out and about and when we do, they either have a huge line or are just doing the "hi, great to see you but I have to go" wave. I will NEVER come to DL with my kids and miss this meal again. Awesome, awesome, awesome!!! I have done Pooh at the Plaza Inn two years in a row, Princesses at the Plaza Inn one year, and breakfast at Goofy's Kitchen and Ariel's Avalon just takes the cake. In fact, it IS the cake!!!

MammaSilva
01-08-2006, 10:13 AM
Oh I didn't respond to this part, if you change your mind... let me say this in no uncertain terms, Priority Seating is your friend. Call and make them, it's much easier to cancel a PS than to get into the meal as a walk up. I hadn't bothered with PS until my last trip, I can promise you I'll never make another without every meal accounted for with PS if that's our plan, we walked up to the Carnation Cafe and the line was HUGE, we gave our name and we were seated very fast.... the people in the line GLARED.....we went to dinner, and they weren't even TAKING walk ups, no PS no meal that night, we had PS for the next day at the Plaza and the standby line snaked back into tomorrowland, PS line still took us about 10/15 minutes to get seats, not bad at all considering everything. I can't stress this enough, if you even think you MIGHT decide to take your kids, make the PS.

Wendi
01-08-2006, 10:40 AM
I agee... go to Ariel's for the Princess dinner - the character interaction really can't be beat. You will have photo opportunities with each princess and they really do a great job... The food is decent and you have to eat anyway, so you may as well spend your meal with the princesses and save a huge amount of time that it would take to wait in line to see them if you encountered them in the parks.

Visit Mickey's house in Toon Town for a meet & greet with Mickey for your son. If you don't see Pluto anywhere else, stroll over to the Disneyland Hotel and I bet you'll find him in the lobby or just outside in the courtyard area near the hotel lobby and Goofy's Kitchen.

Definitely make a PS, you can always cancel or simply no-show if you don't end up wanting it.

cpeak
01-08-2006, 10:52 AM
I just took my two girls to Ariel's for lunch during our last trip 1/3. We were so tired when we got there it was great to have someone serve us and not have to do the buffet type meal like at Plaza Inn. This gave my husband and I some time to rest, as it did for the girls. Also very neat to see is Ariel in her "legs" something we had never seen before. The princesses also come to you, you don't have to worry about tracking them down or being passed up. They rotate aroundt through the resturaunt. Some even stopped by twice to make sure everything was good. We had a very friendly waitress as well.

Genris
01-08-2006, 03:18 PM
We've done several of the Character meals (Arial's Grotto, Lilo and Stich, Goofy's Kitchen, etc) and always loved them. After hearing about the Princess one, I'm sorry we've never done that. I'm particularly fond of Goofy's kitchen, because I think the food is really spectacular. I'd say it's the best buffet food I've ever had.

We always include at least one character meal, and it's always a highlight.

I agree about the reservations. It's so wonderful to just waltz up and sit down within moments. In July, I was able to call the first day of our trip, and make some changes and new reservations for days later in the trip, so keep the Disney Dining phone number with you.

01-08-2006, 03:23 PM
I'm particularly fond of Goofy's kitchen, because I think the food is really spectacular. I'd say it's the best buffet food I've ever had.

What stood out for you?

Genris
01-08-2006, 03:31 PM
What stood out for you?

I can't even tell you, as we didn't make it there on our recent trip. I just remember having some carved meats, side dishes, and desserts, that were of a quality I would expect at a sit down restaurant, and being very surprised to get it at a buffet.

Of course, the prices are much more than a typical buffet, so the quality should be good.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
01-08-2006, 05:31 PM
I would highly recommend the princess meal,we had lunch there on 1/6 and the character interaction was the best we have ever encountered. Each princess stopped at the table, wished my daughter a happy birthday, chatted with her for a few moments (she and Ariel discussed roller coasters) gave her an autograph and posed for pictures. They even involved my son, when they could pry him away from his fish sticks!

It was nice to sit down and be served, and to not have to chase the characters through the restaurant. The kids were much more focused on their food and didn't get upset and stressed that they were being passed by by characters, which tends to happen at the buffets, as it can be total chaos.

ILovePoker
01-08-2006, 05:46 PM
Yes, I know there are tons of threads on this board about character meals but I am still conflicted so perhaps you can help.

DD is almost 5 and loves princesses, especially Cinderella. DS is 2.5 and likes Mickey and Pluto (they are on his diapers!). I have been trying to decide between the Princess lunch, Minnie and Friends breakfast and no character meal at all. I guess I kind of feel like we will be able to see the characters we want to (if we make it a priority) in the park so why pay extra for the meal. I guess that's my real question. Why pay extra for the character meal? We will only be in the parks for 2.5 days so should I pass on the meal this time? If I don't plan for one and then change my mind when we get there, will I still be able to do a character meal?

Thanks for your help!
I wouldn't bother with the character meals because you will see all the characters in the park without having to pay $$$. Mickey doesn't appear at character meals but you can easily find him in his house for free.:)

MermaidHair
01-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Thanks for all the input and advice. I will call tomorrow to make a PS for Ariel's Lunch for our 3rd day. If it looks like we would rather do something else by that point in our trip we will cancel it. Who knows, Mom and Dad may just want to sit for a while - nobody is going to be pushing us around in strollers when we get tired!;)

Gilliegrl
01-11-2006, 06:37 PM
Please do at least one character meal. I didnt think it would be worth it but it is, yes you can see the characters in the park but at the meals you really do get some one on one interaction that you cant get at the park as the characters simply dont have the time to spend with everyone.

momuvseven
01-11-2006, 07:18 PM
We love the character meals. Your little boy is free since they do not charge for children under the age of three. The pictures we get at a character meal are priceless. The princesses are really very beautiful and a fantasy come true for any little girl.

momuvseven

Shadowcat
02-23-2006, 10:45 AM
I was going to make a new post, but figured I should just add to this one LOL!

After searching through the boards and the reviews, I still haven't found all the info I am looking for to make my decision. Was hoping you fine people could help...

We are going to the DLR in early May during the week (myself, my husband, 5 year old autistic son, and 2.5 year old daughter) and want to take the kids to a character meal. We've came to the following conclusions:

Goofy's Kitchen: No. Sounds too "busy" and loud for our son to remain focused. He does good in restaurants, but if it is too loud for too long he loses focus and won't want to eat. He'll just want to run around which for him is a no-no.

Ariel's Grotto/Princesses: Sounds nice and pleasant, but son isn't going to be thrilled. LOL!

Minnie & Friends at the Plaza Inn: Sounds good, it's in the park, but not too sure about the lines for food I've heard some people complain about.

Storytellers: Sounds quiet and low key, but not sure my kids would recognize the characters unless Pluto showed up.

Lilo & Stitch: Appears to be the one we're leaning towards the most. Character variety, food is either buffet or off menu. Seems to be a bit of a walk though, and read a few things about it being loud too.

So we're sort of torn between Minnie/Friends and Lilo/Stitch. For those that have eat there, how would you describe the noise level, convience of getting to the food (having to weave through tables too close together, etc...), and time you are left alone to actually eat.

Any help is appreciated.

Hakuna Makarla
02-23-2006, 10:53 AM
I have a question,
what if we have 6 reservations ( 6 tables)to story tellers, can we all go in, or do we need to wait for each table to clear first? So we made reservations, but will they really be waiting for us? I am new to reservations pretty much to. thnks much

hlbtimes2
02-23-2006, 11:00 AM
Minnie & Friends at the Plaza Inn: Sounds good, it's in the park, but not too sure about the lines for food I've heard some people complain about.

Storytellers: Sounds quiet and low key, but not sure my kids would recognize the characters unless Pluto showed up.

Lilo & Stitch: Appears to be the one we're leaning towards the most. Character variety, food is either buffet or off menu. Seems to be a bit of a walk though, and read a few things about it being loud too.

We havent done the plaza breakfast for a couple of years (Pooh and friends when we were there). We didnt find the food lines to be bad- but for people thinking they were going to a typical serve yourself buffet, I can see them not being happy with the lines. It does take more time to get food this way. However, I like it becuase then I know other guests have not touched what I'm going to eat! It is a bit crowded, there is not a lot of room between tables. We, there is some room, because the characters in those big fuzzy costumes fit between them. LOL

We have not done the PP meal. It will take you about 15 min or so to walk from the main gate to PP.

hlbtimes2
02-23-2006, 11:04 AM
I have a question,
what if we have 6 reservations ( 6 tables)to story tellers, can we all go in, or do we need to wait for each table to clear first? So we made reservations, but will they really be waiting for us? I am new to reservations pretty much to. thnks much

Do you have 6 seperate reservations or 20+ people all on one, and you are thinking it will be 6 tables?

They are not really "reservations" like you would get at a typical restaruant. They are "Priority seating" meaning you have your name on the list and get seated before someone that just walks up. You will have to wait for a table, they dont hold one and wait for your party to arrive.

If you have 6 PS / reservations, you'll each need to wait for a table to open up. Doubtful that all 6 would be at the same time. If you booked one large party, that will need 6 tables, then I would think they would have it all ready at once.

markarkaymat
02-23-2006, 11:16 AM
So we're sort of torn between Minnie/Friends and Lilo/Stitch. For those that have eat there, how would you describe the noise level, convience of getting to the food (having to weave through tables too close together, etc...), and time you are left alone to actually eat.

Any help is appreciated.

I went to Lilo & Stitch. I did like this one over Goofy's only becuase my daughter managed to get some GREAT interaction with Minnie. The buffet food was okay, nothing like over at goofy's (we did breakfast for both). You'll probably be able to find something you'll like. I believe that they did have an omelet station at lilo & stitch (they definitely do at goofy's). I did look at the reg menu but when you add a drink to your breakfast it comes out to very close to what you'll pay for the buffet so we all had the buffet. (Used AAA card for 10% off I believe). We had stitch come to our table and he stayed there for quite a while (maybe 5-10 minutes). Pluto hugged my DD who was in the high chair and now when she sees the picture she says "wow wow". Max came by as well. Minnie and Lilo came out to do some dancing activities. Our table was about 20 feet away from where they were dancing so I don't think I found it distracting. This is where Minnie spent some QT with DD. DD cried when we took her away from Minnie. While the older kids danced DD was "dancing" with Minnie assistance. They also do some kind of conga line or something throughout the restaurant I believe. The table spcing was good, I don't remember being too close to another table. However, we did go during a slower season and the restaurant was not full while we were there (which probably accounted for the great character interaction and minimal noise level). Goofy's kitchen is a mad house, definitely not one to take your son too. I say go with Lilo & Stitch (the walk is a little long but we did cut thru the Grand Californian to make it just a little bit shorter) and when you check in kindly request a table away from a lot of the action, I am sure they'll try to accomodate.

Hoppypooh
02-23-2006, 11:24 AM
Shadowcat,

Goofy's Kitchen: When we were there in September we were seated on a bit of an upper portion (a few stairs off the ramp near the entrance.) There are only a handful of tables in this area and it's raised so if your back is to it, you can't see the rest of the diners below or the actual bufffet/food area. That might do nicely, as he won't be distracted be food, other diners, and charcters at other tables. Also we had a 7 am seating (first one of the morning) and there were only a few other people so we got lots of attention and there was obviously less noise and hustle/bustle than during the peak dining hours. I also agree with the above poster that the food was good - lots of variety and child friendly options... (My hubby eats like a 5 year old.)
We saw Donald, Goofy, Mad Hatter, Mary Poppins and Pluto.

Minnie and Friends: Also a lot of fun - but it's very open plan with big windows looking out onto the Hub/Main Street. There are characters eveywhere and it's noisy with background music. Also the villains appear here. Now I'm almost 30, but I still don't like villains! My husband also kept pestering me to hurry since we were in the park already. At Goofy's it's a world unto your own, but once you're through the gates at DL it can be hard to focus on a meal at the Plaza Inn when all those rides are waiting for you.
We saw Chip, Dale, Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore, Minnie and Captain Hook.

Storytellers is a gorgeous location with top notch food. I'd say it's the most "adult" of the character options. There were minimal characters, only Chip and Dale and Brother Bear when we were there.

I won't comment on the princesses, since your son isn't interested.

In the end, I would highly recommend doing at least one of the meals (we did 4!) You never know what characters will be out in the parks and when. There will always be long lines and the characters have to take breaks, so ven if you wait in line, there's no guarantees. At least with the meals you will be assured of getting quality time with your favourites - photos, autographs etc. But the interaction can't be beat. i.e. Chip kept stealing my husband's food and blaming it on Dale... Pooh toook a picture of me with my camera and when I developed it back home, it turned out to be just a close up of the Pooh on my t-shirt...