PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Pot in Room at Disneyland Hotel

Pages : [1] 2

jazzysmom
01-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Ok, my mom wants to know if there is a coffee pot in the rooms at the Disneyland hotel? Does anybody know? We have a stardard view room, no upgrades. Thanks!

ILovePoker
01-07-2006, 09:55 PM
Unfortunately, I don't believe so. I checked the Disneyland website and it doesn't mention coffee makers. It does have a fridge but I guess that wouldn't help. Though I do believe the Paradise Pier has coffee makers.

Burnt Toast
01-07-2006, 09:56 PM
You can call housekeeping or the Front Desk (and they'll call for you) for a coffee maker and they'll send it up.

Suites come with coffee makers on the wet bar... but the regular rooms do not.

ILovePoker
01-07-2006, 09:58 PM
Seems kind of cheap of Disney to charge 200 dollars a night and not have a coffee maker in a room. Especially when lower budget hotels like the Best Western do.

Opus1guy
01-07-2006, 11:16 PM
Seems kind of cheap of Disney to charge 200 dollars a night and not have a coffee maker in a room. Especially when lower budget hotels like the Best Western do.

You might like to think so, but in practice it's almost the opposite in the entire hotel industry worldwide. It seems the business model in the hotel industry is that if you can afford the higher room rate...then you can afford to pay for more amenities and services that might be included in your room rate at much lesser properties.

At the Hotel Prince de Galles for example, which is a luxury hotel in the center of Paris, France that can start off in the $500 a night range...there are no coffee makers to be had even if you ask. And you can't even get a single cup of coffee via Room Service. The only way to have coffee delivered to your room is by ordering a mini pot at US$29.

Want hi-speed internet? US$62 for 24 hours use!

At many cheapo hotels there and here in the U.S...those items might be included with your $69 a night rate.

This "what's included" disparity that might seem puzzling to many, is actually quite common in the hotel business. The more you pay for your room...often the fewer amenities come included with it.

Other than strict economics...often hotels will not include things like coffee makers because of their image of catering to the type of clientèle that would think a coffee maker in the room would be almost beneath them. A common kitchen appliance sitting in your guestroom or bathroom? How crass! ;) They expect to be served by Room Service or at the hotel's restaurants.

Still other hotels don't include coffee makers in an effort limit the time you spend in your room. Get you out spending more money. In fact, until just a couple of years ago when the Westin Las Vegas put coffee makers in their rooms...not a single Strip hotel had guestroom coffee makers. When the Westin opened...the coffee maker in the room thing even made the newspapers! The Vegas hotels want to get your out of your room ASAP and walking by those tables and one-armed bandits on the way to pickup a cup-o-joe.

At least at the Disneyland hotels...if you ask for a coffee maker, they'll send one up.

ILovePoker
01-08-2006, 12:13 AM
Paris is Paris. You can't really compare the two because they are so different. They have different customs then other continents. I checked expedia one time and the Disneyland hotel in Paris was about 1000 dollars a night! It's definitely a total rip off. In Europe many hotels are super expensive. Some cheaper hotels don't even have bathrooms in the rooms.

Plus, the Disneyland hotel is still only a 3 star, it just happens to be expensive. I wouldn't consider it too luxurious to have coffee makers.

geoffa
01-08-2006, 01:10 AM
Paris is Paris. You can't really compare the two because they are so different. They have different customs then other continents. I checked expedia one time and the Disneyland hotel in Paris was about 1000 dollars a night! It's definitely a total rip off. In Europe many hotels are super expensive. Some cheaper hotels don't even have bathrooms in the rooms.

Plus, the Disneyland hotel is still only a 3 star, it just happens to be expensive. I wouldn't consider it too luxurious to have coffee makers.

If you don't ask you don't get! Surely its not beyond anyone's capability to ask the front desk if coffee makers can be provided.
We stayed at Grand Californian and there was one in our room (park view)

On the subject of Disneyland hotel Paris. Presently a room sleeping four is $750 a night and it INCLUDES park admission. (Bear in mind an average salary in Europe is $3000 - our cost of living is way higher than USA )- Sure there are more expensive rooms - "castle" rooms - so called because they face into the park with a view of Main Street and the castle - Le chateau de la Belle au Bois Dormant - Sleeping Beauty's castle - these are equivalent to the concierge rooms at GCA. And it 's the ONLY hotel that is IN A PARK! The rooms do NOT have coffee makers!

We always take our travel kettle with us ($5.99 at K Mart) so its never a problem:)

Opus1guy
01-08-2006, 08:09 AM
Paris is Paris. You can't really compare the two because they are so different. They have different customs then other continents.

Nope. My example is not at all invalid and it's not at all simply a custom of different cultures and regions. Guess you missed where I said "worldwide." I only gave Paris as one example. I could give you dozens of similar examples in the U.S. It's pretty standard, really. The St. Regis in Laguna Beach, CA (not too far from Disneyland) is just one more example of a hotel that you won't find coffee makers in it's standard guestrooms.

http://www.starwoodhotels.com/preferredguest/property/rooms/amenities.html?propertyID=1361

And as I also wrote above...there are other reasons not at all related to price of rooms.

Disneyland hotel being 3 star or not...many resorts and/or upscale hotels simply do not offer "included" amenities that you would often find included at lesser properties, for the many reasons I stated.

It really is rather SOP in the hotel industry. If you don't want to accept that, well then that's certainly your prerogative. But as a business traveler that stays in hotel rooms on average over 100 nights a year (I'm typing from one right now) and who does business in the hotel industry, I can tell you this is pretty much to be expected in certain segments of the hotel industry (yes...and right here in the USofA), and is common knowledge to most road warriors.

I agree with you that it doesn't make "sense" in that one's natural assumption would be to expect more includeds for the more you pay. But that's just not always the case in this industry. Sorry.

Personally, when Disney attempted to "upscale" and re-segment some of their properties with the creation of the Disneyland "Resort"...I wasn't at all surprised to see them eliminate the coffee makers from many of their rooms.

I checked expedia one time and the Disneyland hotel in Paris was about 1000 dollars a night! It's definitely a total rip off. In Europe many hotels are super expensive. Some cheaper hotels don't even have bathrooms in the rooms.

BTW, I usually pay only around US$450 a night (single, room only) for the Disneyland Hotel Paris, and have never paid more than US$500 (no coffee maker, BTW). I would guess that the US$1,000 per night you saw on Expedia was for a Jr. Suite or Park View or something. This hotel is not a "rip off" IMHO. It is stunning with exceptional locale, facilities and service! :)

In Europe many hotels are super expensive.

So are many here in the U.S.!

Some cheaper hotels [in Europe] don't even have bathrooms in the rooms.

Yes, but that's mainly only at the oldest and extremely budget type hotels and hostels and such. Economy hotels right in downtown Paris and most of Europe can easily be found with "en suite" facilities these days. That old stereotype of most economy hotels in Europe having a shared bathroom down the hall have largely been put to rest over the years as many of these older properties have long since modernized, and other new modern properties and chains have been added to the mix.

It's very easy to find decent but economy en suite hotels in downtown Paris in the US$100 range (taxes and "petit déjeuner" breakfast included!). And even though we do stay at much more upscale properties often, a couple of our favorite "romantic" hotels fall into this hundred buck range, and we stay at them often too. :) This one (http://reservations.unitedvacations.com/Common/DetailInformation.aspx?Type=H&Site=VAXWEBUAT&Vendor=UAH&Provider=UAH&RemoteSource=Ltms_Hotel&Uniquer=&HotelId=PARGOPA&TourOp=UV&SBU=UVA&DynamicPackage=H&ItemId=534b83e1-4316-48fb-8961-412bc80b36c0&Destination=PAR&RemoteSourceCode=LtmsHotel&hotelCats=PARGORA1|VAXAvailabilityPlhJIFFy2_JIFFyM askedAvail_Pick_H_3_0|$%20448.00&currentPageNumber=1&currentSort=Preferred) we stay at often (en suite) does have coffee in the rooms, but it's just a water boiler thing and they give you packets of disgusting instant coffee. But the coffee downstairs in the little restaurant that is included in the room rate with the petit déjeuner, is great. As is the hot chocolate and selection of wonderful breakfast breads.

At an upscale hotel very near this one, we'd be asked to pay US$30 per person for this same light breakfast service!

Price and features set to the targeted market and sometimes brand, that's all.

:)

I will bring up one big regional difference that generally still exists between European and U.S. hotels...and that's Single vs Double occupancy. On two fronts.

Here in the U.S. most standard rooms at a hotel are the same size and you'll get the same size no matter if you book a Single or Double occupancy room. But in much of Europe, a Single room is often much smaller and sometimes no larger than a large closet!

Second, even at the more modern one-room-size-for-all hotels...they price their rooms very differently for Single vs Double occupancy. And if you try to book a Single room and sneak another person in...they take that very seriously and consider it stealing. Now, we Americans might think "What's the difference...it's the same room?" And here in the U.S. most room rates are for Single or Double occupancy...same rate. But in Europe they tend to look at it as using more water and towels, etc, etc so they price it differently and that's just how they often do it.

Minnie66
01-08-2006, 11:18 AM
After some of the disgusting stories I have heard in reference to in room coffee makers, I would NEVER drink anything out of them. Especially if they were always left in the room. At least if you have to request one your chances of them having been throughly cleaned are better. I'm not a coffee drinker, but the stories are so horrible that I wouldn't even drink out of a glass left in the room. If it is a sealed paper one maybe, but not a glass one.

Opus1guy
01-08-2006, 01:11 PM
After some of the disgusting stories I have heard in reference to in room coffee makers, I would NEVER drink anything out of them. Especially if they were always left in the room. At least if you have to request one your chances of them having been throughly cleaned are better. I'm not a coffee drinker, but the stories are so horrible that I wouldn't even drink out of a glass left in the room. If it is a sealed paper one maybe, but not a glass one.

This is generally very good advice to follow. I've also heard many of those stories and seen some of the "Special Reports" on television about these items and it makes you want to bring rubber gloves with you some times.

Another travel related area where there are horror stories are the communal toiletries that you find in airline lavatories. Those dispensers of soap, hand cream, moisturizer, etc. Some of the things some sickos place in those containers would make your stomach turn.

Best to bring your own.

01-08-2006, 02:21 PM
Best to bring your own.

Oh, ew. Never thought about the airline angle.

MammaSilva
01-08-2006, 04:29 PM
That's why I have one dedicated little rolling suit case, it has our own 4 cup coffee maker and supplies, an ice tea pot/supplies, cups/glasses from home...any other little things like snackies and stuff that are can't live without. I won't even use their ice buckets unless there are the plastic liners! Oh in that little suitcase, ziplock baggies, I'm so happy these days that someone noticed there is a demand for larger sizes, and I have the bigger 2 and 2 1/2 gallon ones in there for ice.

ILovePoker
01-08-2006, 05:24 PM
Nope. My example is not at all invalid and it's not at all simply a custom of different cultures and regions. Guess you missed where I said "worldwide." I only gave Paris as one example...Seems to me like your just bragging about where you've stayed and how you love the luxury. Have fun.:D I have my opinion and you have your own. I didn't bother reading all of your post because it's not neccesary because I'm not going to argue with you. If the Paradise Pier (which is very similar to the Disneyland hotel) has coffee makers, then the Disneyland hotel might as have them too for what you pay. It wasn't neccesary for you to go off track to try and prove me wrong because their is no right or wrong.

Opus1guy
01-08-2006, 05:47 PM
Seems to me like your just bragging about where you've stayed and how you love the luxury. Have fun.:D I have my opinion and you have your own. I didn't bother reading all of your post because it's not neccesary because I'm not going to argue with you.

Ooookay. I think it's obvious you didn't read all my post or you would have seen the bit about the $100 cheapos we enjoy staying in.

:)

leota's necklace
01-08-2006, 06:00 PM
I didn't bother reading all of your post because it's not neccesary because I'm not going to argue with you.

And yet you found it necessary to quote the entirety so we could all see it twice. How quaint.

ILovePoker
01-08-2006, 06:11 PM
And yet you found it necessary to quote the entirety so we could all see it twice. How quaint.
Good quality post, keep it up.

Opusguy1, I read it. It's a difference of opinion. I apologize for what I said in the post above. Let's just agree to disagree.:D

Chiidesu
01-08-2006, 07:11 PM
Good quality post, keep it up.

Opusguy1, I read it. It's a difference of opinion. I apologize for what I said in the post above. Let's just agree to disagree.:D

There are always differences of opinion, but it's nice to be open to others, especially when they go through the trouble of writing ones like Opus1guy did. And what he was correcting you on was more of FACT rather than OPINION.

kisroo
01-08-2006, 07:32 PM
Opus~I figured out the same thing you posted when we went on a road trip this summer and stayed at several different hotels. And our stay in Vegas confirmed my suspicions.

Our "nicer" aka more expensive hotels didn't have coffee makers/micros/fridges...but they did have bottled water (for sale...$4 a bottle) and nicer cookies and other "gourmet" snacks ($5+ per package). Our Vegas hotel really killed me~the internet, the safe, the water...it all cost more moolah! :rolleyes:

Interestingly enough, our room at the GCH had a coffee maker. :confused:

twist1980
01-08-2006, 09:59 PM
You can call housekeeping or the Front Desk (and they'll call for you) for a coffee maker and they'll send it up.

Suites come with coffee makers on the wet bar... but the regular rooms do not.

Thats what we did. They delivered a coffee maker without a problem! :D

Opus1guy
01-09-2006, 12:30 AM

Sounds good to me. :)

geoffa
01-09-2006, 04:23 AM
That's why I have one dedicated little rolling suit case, it has our own 4 cup coffee maker and supplies, an ice tea pot/supplies, cups/glasses from home...any other little things like snackies and stuff that are can't live without. I won't even use their ice buckets unless there are the plastic liners! Oh in that little suitcase, ziplock baggies, I'm so happy these days that someone noticed there is a demand for larger sizes, and I have the bigger 2 and 2 1/2 gallon ones in there for ice.

At last! A sensible individual. If you want little home comforts then take them with you. As I said previously, we bought a travel kettle at K Mart. It has two cups and two teaspoons. All for under $6. I prefer to drink tea so a coffee maker doesn't fill that bill for me.:)

pisces
01-09-2006, 07:04 AM

In a coffee maker, you are boiling the water. Boiling usually kills ....whatever.

I usually bring rubbing alcohol for the glasses.

You can ask Housekeeping for bleach. Rooms are usually sterilized once guests check-out, and you can always verify/request that before you check-in.

JookyG
01-09-2006, 09:55 AM
For those coffee snobs out there (or plain old junkies, like myself), there's an electric espresso maker out there that fits nicely in my suitcase. It's called Moka Easy, and it makes the best espresso I've tasted from a home jobbie. Took it with me last time I went to Disneyland, even though the Tropicana has coffee makers in all the rooms, and myself and my 3 companions enjoyed hot, fresh espresso every morning and afternoon.

Heh, I also took it on the 3-day ferry ride between Bellingham, WA, and Juneau, AK. I was the only one on the boat drinking good coffee.

But there IS good coffee to be had in the parks. Unlike my last visit a few years ago, the espresso being served at that coffee cart in DCA, at the Blue Ribbon Bakery on Main Street, and probably other locations, is surprisingly good straight-up. It's Nescafe, which isn't so popular here in the U.S. but is a big seller around the world.

MsYumiBr
01-09-2006, 10:01 AM
My husband and I are big coffee drinkers and stay at the DLH a lot. So, this is what I do. When I make the reservations I ask for two coffee pots to be in the room. Now, keep in mind that they do not place them in the room until the afternoon of the night you get there so if you check in early, don't get upset that they forgot. You can also request two coffee pots when you get there. Bring with you the small filters or round filters with coffee in them because these are only 4 "cup" pots. I do not like the hotel coffee although it has been hit and miss with me. I either buy the sampler coffee in Disneyland or bring my favorite pre-ground grocery store or Starbucks. It makes for a really happy experience. One coffee pot makes one big cup of coffee.

Minnie66
01-09-2006, 02:19 PM
In a coffee maker, you are boiling the water. Boiling usually kills ....whatever.

Unless the person before you boiled urine (yes, I know this has happened) and then no amount of sterilization would do it for me, but then as I said, I'm not a coffee drinker so probably not even something I should be concerned about. It grosses me out so bad though that if the room I was staying in had one in it, it would be the first thing I put out in the hall for housekeeping to come and get.