PDA

View Full Version : Birthday Party at Disneyland

Gilliegrl
01-07-2006, 08:05 AM
Hi all...I need some help...
Im planning my birthday party (if I dont do it it wont get done :)
Anyway Im turning 42 and want to celebrate at Disneyland. Ive go the room reservations etc and was going to book time for Tea with Mary Poppins but they dont do that anymore. Any ideas of something fun to do? It doesnt have to be at DL we are staying at PP. I didnt really want to just get a birthday bucket at a character meal but wanted to do something a bit more but Im stumped. Any ideas????

Wendi
01-07-2006, 08:46 AM
If you want something fun to turn you into a kid again, I'd do the Plaza birthday party for $10. Otherwise, a really nice dinner would be my recommendation... how many people are you having? We did a huge Birthday party at Storyteller's Cafe a few years ago, the restaurant managers are good at getting special menus etc for large parties and will work with your budget, etc. We've also done a large reservation at Ariel's (but not an actual party for that one) and it turned out very well too.

If you are staying at PP and like Japanese food, I highly recommend Yamabuki!!!

Gilliegrl
01-07-2006, 08:51 AM
I had forgotten about Yamabuki!
There really isnt going to be that many of us. Myself my kids, 7 and 3 and my husband and a couple of girlfriends. I just found out that Ariels grotto does the Princess lunches and dinners so that may be an idea and then do a girls day at the park. Im not sure...at least I have time its not until February. Thanks for the ideas though it really helps me think about it.

Disney Debbie
01-07-2006, 02:15 PM
Don't miss doing the birthday party at Plaza Inn. We did this for my 50th last September and just had so much fun and it is well worth the $10.00.

Debbie :)

Gilliegrl
01-08-2006, 06:16 AM
Since you are the second to post about it. Can you tell me what is it? Im thinking about adding the interactive scavenger hunt package on that day to make it a bit more fun but still havent decided what to do for the birthday itself.

momuvseven
01-08-2006, 06:42 AM
I've not been but I would think the makeovers at the Sephora (sp?) would be a must do for a girl's day out. We have gone to the Rainforest cafe for ice cream sundaes and that was fun. There are birthday parties at the Make a Bear Workshop and that is a lot of fun. You only need a group of six I think to make a reservation there and you can set a budget and the party host will work with that.
The plaza birthday party is fun but after a few times our family tired of it. Age 3 and older pay $10 a person. You get a mickey shaped plate with a big cupcake, frosting and decorations and everyone decorates their own birthday cake. Their is a party host and I think they call him PattyCake. He leads some games and songs. Everyone gets punch, once it was served in souveneir cups which was great but the last time we got paper cups. At the end Mickey and Minnie come and this is a great photo opportunity because everyone has a chance to have their picture made with them. A CM takes pictures but I always use my own camera or have them take it for me and we have gotten great family pics this way.

Mumuvseven

Gilliegrl
01-08-2006, 09:14 AM
Thanks Sephora is another great idea. I think what Im going to have to do is have 2 birthday celebrations :)
One with my kids and one with just the girls!

Genris
01-08-2006, 03:37 PM
We did the Plaza birthday party for my son two years ago (it was new) and it was cute. They had Goofy and Mickey come at the end, and dance a conga with all the birthday kids. DS was at the head of the line, and I have a wonderful pic of him dancing while holding Mickey's hand.

I don't know how they might have changed it since though.

Goofy's kitchen also did a special birthday thing for him. I paid extra (maybe $20?) and they brought him a plastic mug with a cake on top, and stuffed Mickey inside, and some other things I can't remember. Goofy brought it out and acted out to the "happy birthday" song, along with some other staff.

I made reservations for that at the time I reserved the Goofy's Kitchen meal.

Micki0624
01-08-2006, 06:59 PM
Get the special seating for Fantasmic! call the Disney dining number and you can reserve the seats and I think some dessert (they used to do dessert). I'm sure Mouseplanet has more info as well.

Gilliegrl
01-11-2006, 05:35 AM
Thank you all.
Micki that is a great idea....see all of these are things that I wouldnt have thought of doing!!! I have yet to see Fantasmic....

MsYumiBr
01-11-2006, 08:32 AM
Don't forget there are two different areas for the Fantasmic buffet. Riverside and Balcony. I suggest the balcony for the buffet, although I like the show better from the river. It is much less stressful to get the balcony though. Riverside is crowded, complicated to get seated (riverside is first come first serve whereas the balcony is first reserved, first served), and they don't mind in the balcony if you "graze" at the buffet table during the show and even offer to make you coffee or cocoa, etc. If you need to suffer the crowds down at the river, just camp out from about 5 or so, have dinner at your little camp and you will probably end up with a better view than the riverside buffet viewing. However, it is your birthday. Splurge on the balcony viewing. Oh, and don't forget the special dinner. I went to Napa Rose for dinner and we sat at the kitchen "bar". My husband and I had the vinter's meal and boy was it a lot of food (and drink). We could watch them make everyone else's food in the restaurant. I couldn't tell if the kitchen staff were playing (acting) or for real in what was going on. The head chef was chastizing one guy who was on his knees, etc. It was great fun.

CariBelle
01-11-2006, 11:13 AM
Do you need to make reservations for the Plaza birthday party? This is something I want to do when I go next month.

MsYumiBr
01-11-2006, 01:21 PM
Plaza Inn is a character buffet so I would highly recommend getting reservations. There is a kiosk in the front of Plaza Inn that is specifically for the birthday celebrations.

cstephens
01-12-2006, 04:21 AM
Do you need to make reservations for the Plaza birthday party? This is something I want to do when I go next month.

It's not required, but if you want to be sure to get in, you should make reservations because they can sell out.

Plaza Inn is a character buffet so I would highly recommend getting reservations.

Well, breakfast at Plaza Inn is a character buffet, but while Mickey and Minnie do show up for the birthday party, I wouldn't call it a buffet since you just get a cake and frosting and sprinkles and some punch and water.

CariBelle
01-12-2006, 11:36 AM
Thanks everyone :) Do I call Disney Dining for reservations?

mkraemer
01-12-2006, 08:44 PM
As with everything...YMMV...

My two cents' on the Plaza Inn birthday parties--never again!

We had our twins' birthday there several years ago, and while it was wonderful that our friends came to be there with us, I felt that the 'event' was rushed, we had zip for choices (you want a little yellow cake to decorate or a little yellow cake to decorate?), was loud, and there was a full charge for *babies* in attendance, for crying out loud.

It didn't last long, and really, in some respects, that was merciful because of how loud it was. Pat E Cake was obnoxious and too over-the-top for what I'd expect from Disneyland. Nope nope nope.

We have had birthday celebrations at Goofy's Kitchen, and we liked that much better.

But then, the most fun of all are the UNbirthdays that we prefer to celebrate, but that's another (more insider) matter altogether. Right, AVP?