PDA

View Full Version : Crooked Castle?

SoCalDude
01-06-2006, 09:02 PM
I have seen and taken many pictures of the castle at DL - and I notice in many of them the castle looks crooked. Like for example the people in front of the castle are not leaning to the side but the castle in the background is - and it ALWAYS leans to the right.

Has anybody else noticed this? Are we all bad at taking pictures or just drunk? Or is there an angle that is throwing people off?

Wesley815
01-06-2006, 09:05 PM
See what happens since the sub lagoon was drainned!

...oh wait, that was supposed to happen to the Matterhorn ;)

hehe, but I never really noticed the 'leaning' castle, I'll have to look at more pics now.

Disneyland_042006
01-06-2006, 09:18 PM
I am not sure if this is reason it may appear to be "crooked" (I say may beacuse I have never been to the park but am going in late April) But when Mainstreet and the castle were designed a technique called "Forced Perspective" was used to make the buildings and castle seem larger and not noticably the actual 5/8 scale. I am surious to know that in your pictures that the castle looks crooked, what angle is the picture taken. I mean is it stright on like from mainstreet or from one corner slightly?

SoCalDude
01-06-2006, 10:30 PM
No, not forced perspective - I do not think that owuld make it lean to the side.

Looking at a pic my of my friend there on Christmas is what really got me thinking about this. I have a few pics of my own with the same crooled castle, even had some taken by the "pros" with the same thing -

click here to see the example. (http://www.landofbricks.com/temp/crooked.jpg)

Osky
01-06-2006, 10:50 PM
Your camera is tilted slightly... You can tell because the line on the star on the ground behind your feet is tilted at the same angle, but in reality it is parallel to the front of the castle.

Here are some straight ones:
http://grundler.smugmug.com/photos/20619478-L-2.jpg
http://grundler.smugmug.com/photos/21195490-L.jpg

ralfrick
01-07-2006, 07:29 AM
There is going to be some tilt if the plane of the castle, lens, and film (or digital sensor) is not the same. From gound level it is inevitable(sp?) that this will happen, because you will be aiming up. View cameras (the "old timey" types with an accordian bellows between the lens and film) are used by architectural photographers because the lens can be raised to shoot up without tilting it, which keeps the lens and film parallel.

Cheers.

Tinkermommy
01-07-2006, 08:09 AM
No, not forced perspective - I do not think that owuld make it lean to the side. [/URL]

You're right. Forced perspective draws the eye to a specific point to make an object look a different size, or to make it look closer or more distant. Some really good examples are the castle, which has larger bricks on the bottom and smaller bricks as you go up, drawing your eye upward and making the castle appear taller, and along Main Street, where each floor of each building gets smaller as they get higher.

A REALLY good example is the waterfall across from the wishing well in Fantasyland. Snow White and the Dwarfs are all actually the same size. To make Snow White appear taller, they placed her at the top of the waterfall and put a small animal next to her. The Dwarfs are on lower levels, with large animals next to them. If you look closely, it's kind of scary, because the squirrels are the same size as (or larger than) the deer. The effect really works here!

It's kind of the same as the effect you get when you draw a road or a railroad track that is wide at the bottom of the page and narrow at the top, creating the illusion of distance.