PDA

View Full Version : A truly magical Trip, long report

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
01-06-2006, 08:51 PM
Arrived at DLR yesterday for a quick birthday trip for my DD's 5th birthday. After a swift trip up the freeway we arrived at the GCH at 10:30 in the morning, as we have always found to be the case at the GCH the rooms would not be ready until 3:00. As I was signing for the room charge and keys, the CM at the desk said "oh, well this is nice, you've been upgraded from a City Standard to a theme park view". I told my DD she would get to see DCA out her window when she got up in the morning and she ran back to my husband and son to tell them we were going to be sleeping in the good room in MIckey's really expensive "house". This is the first time I have ever been upgraded, and I think in the future I may start asking. What a great room!! We were right over the monorail and could see Condor flats and GRR from the balconey.

Checked our bags at the bell desk and headed straight for DL, since it was unseasonably warm we headed straight to Splash Mountain for Fast passes. The line was long and snaked back up the hill, DD, DS and I walked over to RIde Pooh Bear (no line at all) twice, it's one of my son's favs. Fast pass times at 11 am were 3 hours out, with a 85 minute standby. Walking away from Splash we saw the HMH had a 15 minute line, so we rode our final holiday ride for the season and made our way to Pirates. Up to this point it didn't seem too crowded, until we got to Pirates the line was HUGE! Out into the walkway and bunched up, Jungle cruise was the same way, long long long. DH suggested we get a Dole Whip and that line rivaled some of the rides, so off for the standby corn dog we went. Waited in line for 15 minutes while the kids sat over by the Plaza Paviliion frolicking with Peter Pan and Wendy. Ran over to BLAB and picked up fastpasses. Back to Splash Mountain to use the FP's we had picked up earlier in the day. Used child swap pass for the first time, my DD was thrilled she got to ride twice, in the front both times, the CM's at the ride told her since it was her birthday she could wait to ride in the front. 3 o'clock by this time and back to the hotel we went for naps and some quiet time.

Dinner from White Water Snacks, and went into DCA around 6:45, walked by Monsters to see how long the line was. 25 Minutes so we rode. What a cute ride, my husband thought it was lame, but I and the kids really liked it. Back to DL, swimming upstream as the fireworks had been cancelled and the park was emptying quickly.

We were going in as everyone was leaving as we were attended a private party, which if you ever get the chance do it, so awesome, no lines, nice entertainment and great opportunity for character interaction. Sadly, my company will not be doing this again as there were not enough tickets sold and they had to absorb too much of the cost.

Wesley815
01-06-2006, 09:10 PM
Yeah it still has been extreamly busy in the park this past week... glad you had fun plus went to a private party! I'm a CM and they are fun to work as well! Sorry your company isn't holding another one, but you're right that they are pretty speical and normally have different entertainment/things to see compared to during the day.

Hope you're DD had a great birthday and thanks for the report! :)

BTW- Great way to explain the GCH, "Mickey's Expensive House", haha :D so true!

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
01-06-2006, 09:14 PM
Slept in until 8, which for my family at DLR might as well be noon. Breakfast from White Water snacks, as promised DD and DS ate on the balcony watching GRR test runs and the Monorail driving by. Packed, checked the bags and got to DCA just before 10. DD and DH went straight for GRR, walked off of it completely dry, I think my DH sprays himself with scotch gard before he gets on that ride!! Grabbed Fast passes to use when it heated up later in the day and off we went to Playhouse Disney. DS loves Playhouse Disney and this is the first time we have seen it with Jo Jo. Its so cute to watch the little people dance and jump around. We had reservations for Ariel's grotto for lunch for DD's birthday (she had no idea), walked by looked at the menu asked her if she would like to eat there sometime and took her down to California Screaming to check her height, well since this was her magical birthday trip, she was finally tall enough. Same shoes as the last visit a month ago, last time just a bit too short, today, she was ready to ride the ride. But not until lunch, back to Ariel's we went. Much to my daughter's joy and surprise. Great table, we were the first table visited by all of the Princesses. Each one wished her a happy birthday and of course posed for pictures and signed autographs. DS's fav princess was Cinderella, boy had a grin from ear to ear when she stopped at our table. Food was fine, I think for our family it is one of the best character dining experiences.

DD wanted to go on the roller coaster right away,told her she needed to let her food settle, so off to Turtle Talk. Our last trip my MIL took her to see Crush, she was really upset Crush talked with her friend and not with her.

OH not this time, she had quite a bit of chat time with Crush and had the dude birthday song sung to her. It was so cool, she was so happy.

Enough time had passes and she was able to ride California Screaming for the first of what became 4 trips on the ride (combo of fast pass and child swap).

DS really wanted to go to DL and ride Pooh and BLAB (he is two) we started to walk out of DCA when my husband said"OH MY GOD! HAVE YOU EVER SEEN A LINE LIKE THAT!". We figured it wouldn't be too awful at DL as DCA was pretty empty. The lines for DL at 2 pm went well out into the Esplande. Much to the little guy's dismay, we headed back into DCA to ride the rides at Flik's and the carousel in Paradise Pier. Had a soft serve ice cream and made our way to GRR for a final ride before heading home. While waiting in line with DD, I started talking to the family in line behind us, they had attempted to spend the morning at DL and finally left when the lines were really long and the walkways very crowded. They were visiting from Northern California and always came at this time of the year, but had never seen crowds such as these. I figured some of it was leftover visitors from the Rose Bowl, but I have to say by the time we left even DCA was starting to get busy.

Retrieved the bags and the car, loaded the kids in and my daughter said "Mommy, daddy, this was the very best trip to Disneyland ever!"

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
01-06-2006, 09:19 PM
Yeah it still has been extreamly busy in the park this past week... glad you had fun plus went to a private party! I'm a CM and they are fun to work as well! Sorry your company isn't holding another one, but you're right that they are pretty speical and normally have different entertainment/things to see compared to during the day.

Hope you're DD had a great birthday and thanks for the report! :)

I'm so glad they are fun for the CM's to work , it felt like there was no one there. I was thinking all night, the bands seem to be playing to only a few people and the characters, especially Winnie the Pooh seemed to be looking for kids to play with. (That was cool, the characters were really having a great time with the kids and adults)

Apparently there were 5500 people attending.

Do you have any idea what it costs to buy DL out for an evening?

rentayenta
01-07-2006, 06:32 AM
What a fun trip! Thanks for sharing. :)

One of these days we are going to have to stay at the GCH but I am afraid once we try it, we'll be ruined. ;)

Wesley815
01-07-2006, 06:45 AM
Do you have any idea what it costs to buy DL out for an evening?Honestly I have no idea, sorry. I've heard different rumors, but nothing official. Also, private parties can be held differently depending on the company... some "rent" just a certain section/land(s) of the park and others choose the whole park. I know a lot of private events happen at DCA in the Hollywood Backlot area so only those attractions are open. I'm sure that changes the price as well.

I guess if you're friends with someone in the finance dept. of your company they probably know... although since it's a large company details like that I doubt can be released.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
01-07-2006, 12:41 PM
We had the whole park and a special viewing of Fantasmic, hopefully the powers that be will reconsider and let us do the event again (it was a yearly occasion until 2003).

ILovePoker
01-07-2006, 01:45 PM
I don't think I've ever seen Pirates of the Carribean have a huge wait time. It may look like there's tons of people in line but Pirates has the biggest capacity of all rides in the park. :D

Wesley815
01-07-2006, 08:16 PM
We had the whole park and a special viewing of Fantasmic, hopefully the powers that be will reconsider and let us do the event again (it was a yearly occasion until 2003).WOW! Fantasmic to! :eek:

Well, I know that couldn't be cheap, lol