PDA

View Full Version : It's Tough to be a Bug?

kimbopotamus
01-06-2006, 08:16 AM
Hello all! I am planning a spur of the moment trip for President's Day weekend and will probably have a bunch of questions between now and then!
First of all, is 'It's Tough to be a Bug' still showing at DCA? I am assuming it is, but I couldn't find any info on it on DL website. I took my 8 year old daughter last April and we LOVED that show so much that we saw it twice on the same day. I really am looking forward to seeing it again, and again, and probably again!:D
Thanks in advance, and if anyone has actual show times, that would be GREAT too!

Mommy2NicknMax
01-06-2006, 08:24 AM
Here ya go! It's Tough To Be A Bug (http://disneyland.disney.go.com/disneyland/en_US/parks/attractions/detail?name=ItsToughToBeABugAttractionPage)

I think the show runs every 9 minutes?

Niwel
01-06-2006, 09:56 AM
I think the show runs every 9 minutes?

Close to that... no line, slight waiting for preshow... :)

kimbopotamus
01-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Yay! Thank you both! I searched for it on DL.com but couldn't find anything, hmmm. Oh well, glad it's still there, it's a great show!
For those who need to know, go ALL the way into the hole in the ground to the farthest door, it's the front of the theater! I did that on accident the first time we saw it, on purpose the second time, hehehehe!

tom522
01-06-2006, 03:49 PM
The show runs every 11 minutes and 10 seconds all day continuously ( this includes load and unload time) so you never wait longer than this all day long regardless of when you enter the waiting area to see it.

averagedork
01-09-2006, 10:29 AM
Just a side thing: I hate getting poked in the back at that ride. Scares me.

potzbie
01-09-2006, 11:41 AM

More warnings for IT'S A BUG'S LIFE
(warning: spoilers ahead)
If you hate the "mosquito bites" then you must hate the finale, i.e., having the grubs, termites, and cockroaches crawl across your butt as FLIK orders those little bugs to exit first, prior to the humans exiting afterward.

(The mosquito bites are an illusion. The prodding you get in your back via hidden rods in the seat backing, while the room is completely dark, and as the order is given for the mosquites "to attack the humans". Thus, the mental suggestion of (a.) hearing an order "to attack," plus (b.) hearing the stereophonic "buzz" of the mosquites all around you in complete darkness, plus (c.) feeling a quick prod in one's backside; suggest that you have been "attacked" by the mosquitoes, which you can HEAR in the dark, as they buzz, but CANNOT SEE. It is just a Hollywood audio/physiological illusion.)

(Regarding how they acheive the effect of grubs, termites and cockroaches: The seats have hidden circular devices which rise and touch your buttocks, and which are synchronized to give the impression of a left - to - right motion, thus simulating many "somethings" underneath your buttocks moving in the direction to the side of the room where the exits are located. It is not quite a "goose" effect, but can offend the sensitive audience member, or can frighten a child. -- Who wants icky bugs to crawl on you, or under you?)

Be forewarned:

• The stink bug will do his thing.

• Black widow spiders (super-sized, of course) will drop within yards of your head.
(Audio-animatronic; all they do is wiggle their legs and show red-glowing eyes, then they are all wound back up into the ceiling.)

• Acid from the soldier terminite will be sprayed upon the audience.
(i.e.: Don't be surprised by moisture on all benches. As you enter the building, you will feel your seat being wet, due to water from earlier show's effect of "acid" being "sprayed" on unoccupied seats, which has not yet evaporated.)

And, as I said above:
• Mosquitos will bite your back (through the seat backing).
• Cockroaches will crawl across your keester, as they exit the building (via the seat bottom).
All in all, great fun!
Highly recommended.
Shocking and surprising, in a safe Disney environment.
3-D effect is excellent.
The Hollywood illusions are quite convincing (to hear X and to feel Y, and conclude that X and Y are related, whereas they are only special effects).
You may wish to "see" the show twice, just to pick up on HOW all the special effects are technically accomplished.

kimbopotamus
01-09-2006, 12:47 PM
Wow, Potzbie! Thanks for the great description of this show:) I didn't know anything at all about it the first time we saw it and it REALLY gets your senses going!
My little girl got 'stung' the first time we went and then leaned forward in her seat the second time to avoid it, the cheater! What a sensation to have grubs crawling under your tooshie! Ugghh! I can't wait to see it again, LOL!

geoffa
01-09-2006, 01:37 PM
Just before Hopper gives the commands to attack the humans move forward on your seat so you're sitting on the edge. The device in the back of the seat won't be able to "sting" you. It relies on your back being in contact with the seat back. SPOILER: It's actually a "fired" solonoid.
I actually love the effects - so simple and yet so effective. Especially like it when the bugs leave the theater and brush pass your feet.:)

tom522
01-09-2006, 10:20 PM
It's not mosquitos that attack it's hornets.

averagedork
01-11-2006, 11:17 AM
It was fun the first time, when it's new and "wow... this if crazy..." but yeah the hornets aren't my thing. I am 24 and I am dodging things like a nerd. I don't like "Honey I Shrunk the Audience" for the same reason.