PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on good places to eat?

Pages : [1] 2

ArielleBelle
01-06-2006, 07:44 AM
Hello everyone. Well we are heading over to DL Jan22-Jan25th. When we go we always go to the same places to eat and I was wanting some different options this time.
The usual places we go are
day 1 Blue Bayou
day 2 Minnie Breakfast ( our little boys pick)
day 3 Princess Dinner ( our daughters pick)

This trip we will be there four days and are staying on the Disney Land Hotel for the first time. I am looking forward to this very much! But where to eat?
Does DLH have continental breakfast? (probably not) Anyway any help and input would be great!
Thanks
Dee

P.S. We are first time AP holders and aren't sure all the extras you get with this, so I was wondering about those early admission days? Do they do those Mon-Thurs? Thanks again!

stan4d_steph
01-06-2006, 07:47 AM
No breakfast with your room at DLH unless you stay concierge level.

Places to eat:
Whitewater Snacks in the GCH. Good for breakfast or lunch, and the prices aren't bad.

Tortilla Jo's Taqueria in DTD. This is the walk-up window. Great tacos, good prices.

Ralph Brennan's cafe for beignets. Go elsewhere for coffee though.

infinite
01-06-2006, 07:48 AM
Goofy’s Kitchen is a lot of fun, they serve brunch and dinner, I believe. It is located in the Disneyland Hotel.

We like Storytellers, both for the character breakfast and just for meals.

ArielleBelle
01-06-2006, 08:14 AM
What is Storytellers?
GCH (Grand California Hotel? Right)
Also can you order Pizza, chinese, etc... at the DLH?

stan4d_steph
01-06-2006, 08:28 AM
Storytellers Cafe is in the Grand Californian Hotel (GCH)

You should check out the reviews on our MousePlanet Review Database (http://www.mouseplanet.com/reviews) too.

nursemelis374
01-06-2006, 08:49 AM
I second Whitewater Snacks, LOVE those nachos! I pretty much agree with all that stan4dsteph said.

mckygirl99
01-06-2006, 08:50 AM
What is Storytellers?
GCH (Grand California Hotel? Right)
Also can you order Pizza, chinese, etc... at the DLH?

I love Storytellers!!! Their food is excellent with a great themed atmosphere. I highly recommend it!

01-06-2006, 09:14 AM
Redd Rockett's Pizza Port in Tomorrowland for chicken fusilli (like Alfredo sauce over pasta with chopped chicken breast)

Hoppypooh
01-06-2006, 10:39 AM
Add another vote for both Goofy's kitchen and Redd Rocket's. I would also add the Plaza Inn and Taste Pilot Grill at DCA.

Wendi
01-06-2006, 10:48 AM
Yamabuki
Storyteller's Cafe (Pizza is really good, will feed a couple of people easily... kids get to make their own at the table then it's cooked and brought back.)
Whitewater Snacks
Hook's Pointe

Staying at DLH will give you the privilege of early entry each day it is offered. Be sure to use your AP discount at restaurants - I always forget this!!! D'oh!

Dom262
01-06-2006, 11:07 AM
In DCA you have Taste Pilots, and the Trattoriaa. Very good food

In Disneyland we also like the Corn Dog Cart at the end of Main St as well as the Royal St Veranda.

If you are looking to eat on the run, you can also order the Monte Cristo from the Blue bayou to go.

cstephens
01-06-2006, 11:14 AM
The Catal Uva Bar in Downtown Disney. If you want to go a bit nicer, then the upstairs Catal Restaurant in Downtown Disney. And if you want to go even nicer, Napa Rose in the Grand Californian.

PrincessLeia
01-06-2006, 11:21 AM
Downtown Disney:
House of Blues ~ we enjoyed Christmas Eve dinner here
Napolini ~ the take out portion of the italian place, good pizza!
La Brea Bakery ~ not stellar but reliable.

DLP:
Pick a churro cart, any churro cart...
Amazingly, we loved the corn dogs from the cart at the end of Main Street! (not a corn dog fan usually)

DCA:
Can't pass up the free, FRESH tortillas at the Mission factory!!

have fun. And wear a pedometer for fun. One day I walked 21,000 steps!!! (that's 7-10 miles)

kkmickey
01-06-2006, 11:57 AM
Redd Rockett's Pizza Port in Tomorrowland for chicken fusilli (like Alfredo sauce over pasta with chopped chicken breast)

The first time I ate here, it was great. However, the last time I ate here (Nov 05), it was horrible! The pasta was overcooked, and we waited SO long in line that the sauce was very cold by the time we ate. I was really disappointed.

davies901
01-06-2006, 01:26 PM
I am a food snob : ). I love good food! I had promised a food review when I returned but had surgery on my hand and couldn't type. Now - not sure I remember the details to do a good review.

Red Rocketts is OK, but not great - fast food alfredo sauce - tastes like the jarred stuff to me. For gluten-free pasta it wasn't bad. My husband reported the regular pasta was a bit overcooked, but not horriblely so. We had gluten-free pizza, which wasn't bad and nice to get too, but can't say much about the real stuff..

We didn't do Blue Bayou, but kind of wish we would have. Being snobs we didn't want to be disappointed, but kind of wish we would have now just so we would know...maybe in three years when we go back (I have to wait for my husband to get another break in school!).

We liked Rancho in Fronteirland...we didn't do the taqueria, but the next room over. We liked the roasted chix. Good flavor, although did stay under the heat lamp a bit long. We ate there twice because we liked it.

We did Tortilla Jo's and thought is was OK. Great ideas, nice presentation, a lot of fun for the kids (face painting and balloons), but some of the dishes lacked flavor or complexity. I would go again, just order 1 dish to share...

Napa Rose was good too, but pricey and a bit tricky with the kids. Overall, I enjoyed it very much. Again, I had a whole real review I can't get to anymore, which was more detailed...oh well...

999thghost
01-06-2006, 02:15 PM
Go down Harbor to Los Sanchez. It has the best cheap Mexican food in the area.

Petersgj
01-06-2006, 03:19 PM
Hello everyone. Well we are heading over to DL Jan22-Jan25th. When we go we always go to the same places to eat and I was wanting some different options this time.

Don't forget Rainforest Cafe. I'm pretty sure that AP holders get a discount there too.

cstephens
01-06-2006, 11:03 PM
Go down Harbor to Los Sanchez. It has the best cheap Mexican food in the area.

Is that the one across the street from Target?

We were at Target last week, and I saw the sign for the restaurant and was wondering if that's the place Mr. Tod has been raving about...

Ilovemypixie
01-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Where is Whitewater Snacks? We've looked for it the past two trips, we can't ever find it on the map. We wander around and try to find it, but never can!

Wendi
01-08-2006, 06:29 PM
Where is Whitewater Snacks? We've looked for it the past two trips, we can't ever find it on the map. We wander around and try to find it, but never can!

Whitewater Snacks is in Disney's Grand Californian near the pool. If you are coming in through the DCA private entrance, you would just make a left and walk to the end of the walkway. If you come through the hotel lobby, just follow the signs for "Restaurants" and keep going along the walkway, it's all the way at the end.

twist1980
01-08-2006, 10:38 PM
I always eat at the Blue Bayou for the ambiance, but I really don't care much for the food.

At DCA, I was actually impressed with Award Wieners. My boyfriend and I shared a chili dog and a Sicilian Dog (Italian sausage w/marinara and mozzarella). They have great fries too!

For some reason I love DL's cheeseburgers (Hungry Bear or Village Haus). It might just be the fact that I am starving when I eat there.

The snacks are what really stand out (Dole Whips, churros, frozen lemonade). One "snack" that turned out to be a meal for me was everything at the Bengal BBQ. The Chicken skewers and beef skewers (and jalapeño cheese pretzels) were fantastic. Many other members swear by the bacon wrapped asparagus as well. That was probably my favorite meal of the trip...and cheap too! :D

tinklover25
01-09-2006, 12:12 AM
In DCA you have Taste Pilots, and the Trattoriaa. Very good food

In Disneyland we also like the Corn Dog Cart at the end of Main St as well as the Royal St Veranda.

If you are looking to eat on the run, you can also order the Monte Cristo from the Blue bayou to go.

I love the corn dog cart a trip is not complete w/out 1.

Moderator's note: Post converted from all caps. Please do not post in caps. On the internet, it is read as shouting. Thanks. -3894 or Helen

ArielleBelle
01-09-2006, 08:17 AM
Hey thankyou everyone for the great suggestion and we will ahve to try some of these this time!
12 more days & counting!
Thanks again!
Dee

momuvseven
01-09-2006, 11:19 AM
If you head south towards Target there are quite a few places we like:

Sizzler, the kids like the super salad bar there that includes an ice cream sundae bar, hot foods like nachos, tacos and chicken nuggets and all types of fruits and veggies. Kids can eat there for about $5 each and under three is free.

Joe's Crab Shack and Red Robin are good but a little more spendy.

IHOP this is walking distance from the park and very clean. Waiter was very accomadating and they have space to park a stroller. The kids like the HUGE portions. One child age 3-12 eats free in the evenings (4-10 pm) for every adult meal purchased. No need to order a toddler meal because the other kids will have plenty to share. All the entrees I saw were HUGE. They have a big selection of diet friendly entrees and give nutritional information. I thought they were a little over priced for entrees but feeding the kids for free makes up for it and it was a nice quiet break from the park.

We aren't crazy about the food in the Rainforest Cafe but like the atmosphere. We usually go in for sodas and an appetizer or dessert.

We have not tried the Mexican place across the street from Target but will now.

Once you are away from the park there is very little traffic and we find it is good to take a break. We always end up needing something from Target anyways.

Momuvseven

999thghost
01-09-2006, 03:26 PM
Yes it is across from Target. I do need to stress that this is a REAL Mexican food restaurant and not Taco Bell or El Torito. This tastes like what my grandma makes. Try the cocido or the Works burrito with carne asada.