PDA

View Full Version : Haunted Mansion & Small World

Disney Daddy of 4
01-05-2006, 06:04 PM
After years of listening to the,hype I finally got a chance to go to DisneyLand during the holidays DEC. 30- Jan 5. I thought everything was great and even though I live in Reno, NV I have used my season passes a lot. 45 days to be exact. But after the trip a few things stuck out and I am curious if Disney will improve these items.

1# Holiday Haunted Mansion seemed cool, but it I was suprised that so much of what is normally there seems vacant and not filled in by Jack and friends. I even saw a big black garage door that seemed down.

2# Holiday Small World was cute and a nice change from the norm, but again it seemed so much less than the normal SW. and then there was even a big black curtain to block of stuff.

I guess I just feel that Disney....being Disney should really go ALL OUT!!! I know that these have probably been discussed, but I just needed to say something. I thought that they really could have Gone the extra mile...As they did on the new monsters inc. ride (which was awesome)

DisneyDustin22
01-05-2006, 09:09 PM
I have to disagree only because you have to remember that SW and HM are already two very in depth and well done attractions. The holiday overlays are strictly that, overlays. They are meant to add some holiday atmosphere to the already existing interior/exterior of the attraction. I dont see how comparing either attraction to Monsters can be argued seeing as how Monsters is an entirely new attraction. Granted, it uses existing elements from SSL. The overlays already take two months out of the year for each attraction for set up and take down. I dont know how much more "all out" they can go on them without sacrificing more down time for prep. HMH's story is actually about Jack taking over the mansion. So in sense, by leaving various elements untouched, fits for what they are trying to accomplish.

cstephens
01-06-2006, 11:11 AM
I have to say that I'm amazed anyone could have the opinion that HMH is not "going all out". Even Small World Holiday has a lot of stuff on it, and the first time I was on HMH, I wasn't sure what to expect, probably something along the lines of the Small World Holiday overlay, but when they say that the mansion has been transformed, they're not kidding. There is so much stuff in there for HMH that when it goes back to being the regular mansion, it takes a while for me to get used to the mansion being quiet, dark and boring, relatively speaking.

I'd like a mind wipe so that I could repeatedly experience the first time seeing the graveyard as the doombuggy turns to give you a full view right before you descend down the hill...

jdee
01-06-2006, 11:56 AM
After the Christmas decorations come down from SW it looks really bare. I think they already "go all out". Can't think of much more that would improve either for the holidays.

Disney Daddy of 4
01-06-2006, 05:43 PM
Please know that I really did enjoy both attractions a lot. The exteriors are amazing and so are most of the interiors. There just seemed to be patches of emptiness. Such as the garage door that was down and the big black curtains in SW. I agree that when the exteriors go away they will not be as cool.

twist1980
01-06-2006, 09:56 PM
I'm another Holiday first timer and I totally agree with Big Blue Genie. I was there 12/13-12/18 and felt like both rides were not quite as full or detailed as they normally are.

Now before you all jump to the defense of the rides, I understand they are overlays and not rides on their own! I believe what Big Blue Genie is saying is that the overlay doesn't have as much detail as the original ride. And you have to admit that is true! What is impressive about the rides is how they can completely transform them into a whole new theme in a limited time period and on a budget! I still like the originals of both rides better than the holiday overlays though!

Since this was my first time seeing HMH, all I did was compare it to the regular HM. I kept thinking "this should be there" and "where is the attic bride?" and so on. I'm just so enamored with the original that I don't like to see it changed!

And Big Blue Genie, I know exactly what you mean by the big black garbage curtains, I think there could be a better way to transition scenes.

cstephens
01-06-2006, 10:53 PM
Such as the garage door that was down and the big black curtains in SW.

The big black curtains are over the rainforest section of Small World. We always joke that it's covered with a black curtain because the forests are decimated from all the trees that were cut down so people could have Christmas trees in their homes! :)

I believe what Big Blue Genie is saying is that the overlay doesn't have as much detail as the original ride. And you have to admit that is true!

Ummm, both of you are of course entitled to your opinions, but I don't have to admit something is "true" when I don't agree with you. There are *lots* of details on the HMH version of the ride. Others may have already noticed, or maybe this was the first year, but on my last ride this year, I noticed that one of the boxes in the attic was wrapped in a paper that resembles the design of Sally's clothes. I thought that was cool.

I Since this was my first time seeing HMH, all I did was compare it to the regular HM. I kept thinking "this should be there" and "where is the attic bride?" and so on.

The attic bride has a tribute paid to her - there's a monkey bride with a beating heart in the attic, but you can really only see her if you're sitting on the right side of the doombuggy and you remember to turn and look back at the end of the attic. I love that it's there, and this year, I even managed to get a couple friends to see it who hadn't noticed it in previous years.

I always love the gingerbread house in the ballroom, but I particularly loved the wreath gingerbread house this year, especially with the speared gingerbread man in one tentacle, another gingerbread man in another tentacle, and a fork to spear the second gingerbread man in a third tentacle. Last year, when the gingerbread house was Zero's doghouse, I loved that some of the desserts on the table were themed for Zero. My husband had pointed out the "kitty pie" that had a wagging tale.

I'm not trying to convince you to change your opinion. I'm just staying that I disagree with you and notice a lot of details in HMH from year to year.