PDA

View Full Version : Where are the people coming from?

muppetlover
01-05-2006, 08:45 AM
Okay, seriously...it is now into the middle of the week and people are still flooding Disneyland and even DCA. I went into the parks yesterday, Jan 4th, which in typical years has been a nice empty day for the parks as off season has officially begun.

This was not the case yesterday. I first went into DCA to check out the Monsters Inc attraction with one of my friends. From the moment we entered the Hollywood Backlot we were amazed by the crowds of people. When we approached Monsters Inc, we were greeted by a line that streched past the attraction and all the way back to the stage across the way from the entrance. A friendly CM informed us that the line was approximately 1 hour and 10 minute wait. Seeing as that was what we were in the park to do, we did wait out the line, which ended up only being about 50 minutes, mostly in part I think due to people giving up halfway through the line and bailing out.

After that, we decided to hop on Tower of Terror. This had a 30 minute wait posted, and we waited probably close to that, maybe just a bit under.

Then it was over to Disneyland. My goodness were there tons of people in Disneyland. We had gone over with the sole purpose of seeing the hidden Bride Monkey in Haunted Mansion. Just working our way through the throngs of people to get to Mansion, took twice as long as a normal day. We actually re-routed our walk through Frontierland, just to avoid the congestion in Adventureland, yes it was that bad.

At Mansion the wait was tolerable, but still wayyyyyyyyyyy more than is seen on an average day. My friend was in a wheelchair for the day and when we had to come back to the elevator to be taken back up to the top, we had to wait through two elevators unloading just to be able to get through the crowd and enter the lift.

After that we walked up to Small World, just to remember it had closed and then worked our way back out of the parks.

I seriously could not believe the numbers of people I saw everywhere in the parks.

So could someone tell me....what the heck is going on?

01-05-2006, 08:54 AM

Well, a nice trip to thaw out my bones in Anaheim sounds pretty great to this Wisconsinite.

Crazy4DL
01-05-2006, 08:57 AM
Well, a nice trip to thaw out my bones in Anaheim sounds pretty great to this Wisconsinite.

Don't tempt this Washingtonian :D

;)

adriennek

Easily: Holiday break from school.

Many, many public and private schools have this week off for winter break this year. Yes, some schools had the week before Christmas off, but many did not.

In the past, it was much more common for people to go back on January 2 or 3. In our case, it has a lot to do with the year-round school schedule. The school district wanted four consecutive weeks between Thanksgiving and Christmas because of how our year-round calendar works in 4-week segments. But that's not the only reason. My mom's school is not year round and they still didn't get off that week before Christmas.

Adrienne

nvmom
Well, I believe that many schools that are on traditional track are still on Christmas break. I know here in Northern Nevada, while my kids went back to school this past Tues... all the schools in the Reno area are off thru this Fri. Perhaps that is contributing?

We went to DLR last Mar... we got so lucky in terms of crowds... as I'm (hopefully) planning a trip this year between Feb-May, I'm already wondering if there's going to be a true "off season" this year?

nvmom

hlbtimes2
01-05-2006, 09:12 AM

;)

Or this one.......

Opus1guy
01-05-2006, 09:20 AM
Where are the people coming from?

Well, since I can no longer refer you to the "Making Of Me" show at the "Wonders of Life" pavilion at Epcot...

First...a man and woman get together...

Ugh. Phone call. Be right back.

;)

hlbtimes2
01-05-2006, 09:30 AM
Well, since I can no longer refer you to the "Making Of Me" show at the "Wonders of Life" pavilion at Epcot...

First...a man and woman get together...

Ugh. Phone call. Be right back.

;)

My husband is always asking "how did we get these cute kids?"
My answer is always "well, you see, one night......"

For some reason I dont think that is what he means. LOL

Rteneyck
01-05-2006, 11:00 AM
The Rosebowl might have something to do with also. It was played really late this year and people may want to extend their visit or arrive earlier, since it was only played yesterday.

wenderella
01-05-2006, 11:08 AM
I think off-track is probably a good reason. Besides...who WOULDN'T want to be there? I'd be there if I could.!

SandraVB79
01-05-2006, 11:19 AM
I am leaving tomrrow for DLP. If I had been a little more in the neighbourhood of DL, I would have gone there, and I would have added to the crowds.

lauramaynot
01-05-2006, 11:40 AM
so after reading this thread and then the thread about Monday, Jan 2nd and the apparent light crowds due to weather and despite the close proximaty (sp?) of that day to the holidays, it dawned on me...could these crowds really be made up of mostly locals? Over the year as the attendance has increased, I thought there were more and more people who were at the park on week-long vacations, I was thinking wow I guess DCA is doing its job bringing in the vacationers. But now I am not so sure...seems like a lot of people are coming just for a day or two (our usual trip routine) We haven't been since the beginning of november since we are waiting for the crowds to lighten up...I assumed most locals would be doing the same thing as we are. Christmas is an incredible season at DLR but I am really surprised.

Tinkermommy
01-05-2006, 11:44 AM
The winter school breaks are usually pretty obvious, but since Christmas was on a weekend this year, they were kind of strange.

Our school district started the break the Wednesday before Christmas and our kids went back yesterday (Wed., Jan. 4). But I know of other schools that had this entire week off and don't go back until Monday.

I think if you combine that with all the out-of-towners here for the off-schedule Rose Parade & game (usually held on the 1st; this year stretched to two separate, later days), things won't slow down until Monday or Tuesday. (If then...who can say, this 50th year?)

adriennek
01-05-2006, 11:49 AM
We haven't been since the beginning of november since we are waiting for the crowds to lighten up...I assumed most locals would be doing the same thing as we are. Christmas is an incredible season at DLR but I am really surprised.

Well I think there's a difference between "locals with APs" and "locals with out of town guests and/or who don't have APs but go when they have vacation time even though they're locals".

There are still 'locals' who wouldn't be able to go or choose to go during the off-season.

Adrienne

lauramaynot
01-05-2006, 11:59 AM
Well I think there's a difference between "locals with APs" and "locals with out of town guests and/or who don't have APs but go when they have vacation time even though they're locals".

There are still 'locals' who wouldn't be able to go or choose to go during the off-season.

Adrienne

Good Point. I hadn't thought about that. I don't mind crowds - it seems to legitimize my obsession when there are so many other people going, but I think this has been a record year for the park.

Rteneyck
01-05-2006, 12:17 PM
I will be there this Sunday - Wed. I hope the crowds lighten up a little. I am keeping my fingers crossed that the fireworks will still happen on sunday since I am with some friends that haven't seen them yet. I guess I will have to camp out early...but it is definately worth it.

raych30
01-05-2006, 12:53 PM
What time were you there yesterday? I was in DCA with my two kids and we walked on most everything. Then again, we got to the park right when it opened. We even managed to snag lunch at Ariel's Grotto without a reservation. (That was just luck, they were booked the rest of the day) We spent a good 4 hours in that park, and I didn't think it was that bad. We headed over to DL where it was much more crowded, but not horrible. They ended up canceling the fireworks, due to the wind.
Over all, I thought it was a lovely day spent with my kids.

Cheers,
Rachel

mckygirl99
01-05-2006, 01:09 PM
I know that Los Alamitos, Cypress and Garden Grove Districts are off this week. I teach in Anaheim (year round) so there is always a track off right now (but not my track :crying: ) I believe Anaheim Union and Buena Park are still off so the guess about locals is probably the most accurate.

I know I am waiting until next week to go back!

charpaul
01-05-2006, 02:11 PM
All of LA Unified school district (LAUSD) had three weeks of winter vaction this year - including THIS week!!!
Some schools in Orange County and down into SanDiego have this week off too!! (But not MY district....:crying: )

So a LOT of families have free time this week, even if it is OFF season.

Check back next week and see if there is any difference in park attendance. I do not really expect an off season to start (if it really does this year) until next week.

Walt'sbirthdaygirl
01-06-2006, 07:10 PM
Just got back this evening from two, semi packed days. Noticed alot of people running around in Longhorn shirts, hats, etc.........

twist1980
01-06-2006, 09:39 PM

;)

This one is tempted too!

There are colleges that haven't gone back yet either. Gonzaga in Eastern Washington still has all of next week before the start back to school. I think the main state Universities are back in session, but a lot of the private colleges are out longer.