PDA

View Full Version : Movies that inspired rides

Pages : [1] 2

Duchess mermaid
01-04-2006, 07:04 PM
I was thinking it would be cool to watch all the movies that have rides (or shows) about them before I leave for my trip. I can't find "Song of the South" (for splash MT.) on DVD and I don't have a VCR. I did find "Third man on the Mountain" (for Matterhorn). And of course the more traditional movies will be easy...
So does any one know if Space Mt. was based off a movie? or Big Thunder Mt. RR? Or any lesser known movies that might be cool to add to the list?

ILoveChurros
01-04-2006, 07:44 PM
The Indiana Jones Trilogy!!! Watch them and then you can catch all the different elements from the movie on the ride.

mi_mous
01-04-2006, 08:16 PM
You won't be able to find Song of the South in the US. It was not released in the US. (wierd huh??) There are a lot of people who are trying to get it released, but haven't had much luck.

KDR
01-04-2006, 08:22 PM
I was thinking it would be cool to watch all the movies that have rides (or shows) about them before I leave for my trip.

Well, you can at least be thankful that Country Bear Jambouree is no more -- you won't have to force yourself to sit through that film!

neffyh
01-04-2006, 10:03 PM
Not exactly like the ride but how bout Pirates of the Carribean. Or The Haunted Mansion.

SandraVB79
01-04-2006, 11:31 PM
You won't be able to find Song of the South in the US. It was not released in the US. (wierd huh??) There are a lot of people who are trying to get it released, but haven't had much luck.

One day, I'll be able to convert my Song of teh South video to DVD (or other format), and then I'll send you all a copy! ;)

pretty Omi
01-04-2006, 11:42 PM
Song of the South has actually been scheduled for release on DVD sometime in the not too far off future... it's listed on Ultimate Disney.com's dvd release schedule

Vegitabeta
01-05-2006, 03:30 AM

It isn't on DVD anywhere in the world as far as I know, just a few videos on ebay.

SandraVB79
01-05-2006, 03:38 AM
I don't know whether they sold it over here on video, but I know we have it, because we taped it from television!

Vegitabeta
01-05-2006, 08:24 AM
I don't know whether they sold it over here on video, but I know we have it, because we taped it from television!
I have it taped from the T.V too! It was on last year I think.

potzbie
01-05-2006, 08:50 AM
Well, you can at least be thankful that Country Bear Jambouree is no more -- you won't have to force yourself to sit through that film!

What are you saying?
When I saw the Country Bears movie, I said to myself, "The music is fantastic, and the flow of the movie tells a good story, so surely this movie will be one of Disney's biggest winners."

Opus1guy
01-05-2006, 09:14 AM
Innoventions is based on the film "Blade Runner." A futuristic world where product advertisements are everywhere you look.

;)

MouseLover
01-05-2006, 10:34 AM
It isn't on DVD anywhere in the world as far as I know, just a few videos on ebay.

Has anybody tried this? I found this site from Amazon.com. Don't know about the quality so I was wondering if anybody had tried it.

http://www.relivesongofthesouth.com/

lauramaynot
01-05-2006, 11:50 AM
Here are a few movies I thought of:Tower of Terror starring Kirsten Dunst, Who Framed Roger Rabbit, Honey I shrunk the kids (and its sequels if you can stomach them), Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea (ok I'd watch that one for nostalgia sake then stare at the big wall surrounding the lagoon and sigh:D )
Boy if you were to compile a list of every movie that inspired attractions or vise versa your list could include almost every attraction.

Tinkermommy
01-05-2006, 11:51 AM
Don't forget Star Wars (Star Tours), Toy Story II (Buzz Lightyear's Astroblastes) and if you can find it, Tower of Terror. (It's not really a Twilight Zone episode -- as far as I know -- and there is a cute movie that expands the Tower of Terror story.)

You've probably already thought of Wind in the Willows (Mr. Toad's Wild Ride), Snow White, Peter Pan, Dumbo, Alice (Alice as well as the Teacup rides), Pinocchio (sp?) Sleeping Beauty (okay, so it's just the castle). There are probably more, but my mind's now a blank...you're gonna have to watch a LOT of movies! LOL

Cnjp
01-05-2006, 12:17 PM
The 1951 film "The African Queen" starring Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn was Walt's inspiration for the Jungle Cruise.

The interesting thing about the "Tower of Terror" TV movie is that it is a TV movie based on an attraction, which in turn is based on a television show. :)

JookyG
01-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Here's the list I used before my recent Disneyland trip. Just looking at this thread, it looks like I missed a few. And of course there's a few here I wouldn't bother with. Bear in mind these are just the Disney flicks I could think of. I omitted the Lucas films, just like I omit Star Tours from my visits anymore (George, we need a new film!!!). Also omitted ToT because it wasn't a real film.

DEFINITELY see Pirates of the Carribean before you go, if you haven't seen it recently. Almost all the scenes from the attraction are faithfully recreated in the film. Beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing how they update the ride for the new film. Yeah, go ahead and flame me. :p

* Snow White (1937)
* Fantasia (1940)
* Pinocchio (1940)
* Dumbo (1941)
* Song of the South (1946)
* Wind in the Willows (1949)
* Alice in Wonderland (1951)
* Peter Pan (1953)
* 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea (1954)
* Davy Crockett and the River Pirates (1956)
* Swiss Family Robinson (1960)
* The Sword in the Stone (1963)
* The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977)
* Who Framed Roger Rabbit (1988)
* Honey I Shrunk the Kids (1989)
* The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)
* Toy Story (1995)
* A Bug’s Life (1998)
* Tarzan (1999)
* Monsters, Inc. (2001)
* Lilo and Stitch (2002)
* Pirates of the Carribean (2003)
* Haunted Mansion (2003)
* Finding Nemo (2003)

Pat-n-Eil
01-05-2006, 02:14 PM
Has anybody tried this? I found this site from Amazon.com. Don't know about the quality so I was wondering if anybody had tried it.

http://www.relivesongofthesouth.com/

I bought a Song of the South VHS tape from ebay. It was in the European PAL format and I had a local shop convert it for me.

So I do have it, but the Pal conversion makes it less than pristine. I have the technology at home to convert it to DVD, but I wouldn't feel good about making it or even giving it away for the cost of the Disk & Shipping because it looks like a copy of a copy..

I think it is silly that they have kept it from the American audience and after watching it again, I really have no idea why there has even been a fuss about it. Maybe I'll make a WMV of it and make it available for download. I wouldn't do this for any other movie - but I feel it should be available and would do it for the principle of it! :)

PinkFloyd
01-05-2006, 04:10 PM
On my commute home from work today I was thinking about posting the same question! Kinda freaky. Can't wait to read everyone’s replies.

Chiidesu
01-05-2006, 04:16 PM
Song of the South was released I think a few times in theaters back in the day, I think they had a video release but then stopped after it was boycotted, banned or something I forgot, by this one African American organization because they deemed it as racist(IMHO I see nothing racist about it) But yes, they are scheduling a release next year which I absolutely cannot wait for, it's one of my favorite movies :D

Duchess mermaid
01-05-2006, 06:16 PM
DEFINITELY see Pirates of the Carribean before you go, if you haven't seen it recently. Almost all the scenes from the attraction are faithfully recreated in the film. Beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing how they update the ride for the new film. Yeah, go ahead and flame me. :p

Pirates is sadly going to be down when I go... It was my favorite ride too. But i'm excited to see the new one on our next trip.

Thanks for everyones input on the movies. Luckily I have Blockbuster online so I won't have to spend a ton renting or buying them all. And I still have time to watch them all since our trip isn't until may.

adriennek
01-05-2006, 07:06 PM
I don't know about DVD but Song of the South has been released internationally on laser disc.

Adrienne

WITron
01-05-2006, 09:00 PM
I have one no one has thought of yet. The Adventures of Tom Sawyer. I know it was done for the Wonderful World of Disney back when I was a kid. I don't know if that version is out on video or not, but there was a more modern version, I think it was called Tom and Huck. If you include Storybookland there is more than I can count.

anniedg
01-05-2006, 09:16 PM
I have a DVD of Song of the South that my sister got off of ebay for me a couple of years ago, it's not great quality, but better than nothing! There's actually an auction on ebay of one now -- current bid $67

Sy-
01-06-2006, 09:52 AM
What would make a neat list would be to list the movie and then what ride(s)/attractions it inspired. For example:

Movies that inspired rides:
Dumbo (1941): Dumbo, Casey Jr. Circus Train
Sleeping Beauty (1959): Sleeping Beauty Castle
Alice in Wonderland (1951): Alice in wonderland, Mad Tea Party

Rides that inspired movies:
Haunted Mansion: The Haunted Mansion (2003)
Pirates of the Caribbean: Pirates of the Caribbean (1,2 &3)

then there is inspector gadget. does it go:
Cartoon, Gadget's Go Coaster, Movie or Cartoon, Movie, Gadget's Go Coaster

I dunno... wow this could be a long list... especially when you do "A Bugs Life (1999)":confused: