PDA

View Full Version : 100 Mickeys please read

BaltoBryan
03-27-2002, 11:45 AM
Hi im Bryan i used to work at WDW MK tomorrowland and toontown
i am in need of soem great soul who is goign to disneyland to email me
i want to know if i paid soemone if they would pick up a POD 100 Mickeys poster for me
if anyoen can help pplease respond

Thakn you
Bryan

disneyworldwide
03-27-2002, 02:05 PM
Yeah everyone check out www.100mickeys.com they are taking orders under the print on demand page.

Nigel2
03-27-2002, 09:17 PM
They are also selling individual POD things on disney auctions. They are actually making more money on those since there is only 1 of each style and it's the cheapest one probably.

Also are the canvas prints anygood or do they look like they came out of a printer?

cemeinke
03-27-2002, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2
Also are the canvas prints anygood or do they look like they came out of a printer?

The Canvas prints are very good, at least the samples in the Gallery are. You can see the brush strokes in the reproduction and the color is good. I think you'd be very happy with the reproductions

What you don't get is the real texture of the peices. Some of the works are rather thick with paint, or other materials, and the effects of that layering and it's properties just can't be reproduced. The texture of the canvase helps to mask that a bit, but in the end that's one of the reasons why original art work is superior to a reprint.

Nigel2
03-27-2002, 09:53 PM
Also (I am pretty sure they won't be since they are from a printer) but are the canvas ones streched over wood?

oh and for those keeping count, 3

cemeinke
03-27-2002, 09:57 PM
Originally posted by Nigel2
Also (I am pretty sure they won't be since they are from a printer) but are the canvas ones streched over wood?

oh and for those keeping count, 3

Alas, no. They're sent out in a tube so it's up to you to get them framed and stretched yourself.

disneyworldwide
03-28-2002, 07:50 AM
Hi everyone,

I think you have it all wrong. The Print on demand Canvas pieces are wonderfull I have one in my office right now. Also Disney Will get it framed for you at a price but it is very very reasonable for Disney.

If you have your favorite 100 Mickeys who should get it soon since the show only runs until September 8, 2002.

Good Luck! There is also going to be 100 Mickey pins.

Yahoo.

AVP
03-28-2002, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by cemeinke

Alas, no. They're sent out in a tube so it's up to you to get them framed and stretched yourself.

I talked to the representative of the company that runs the print-on-demand service at Disneyana last year. He said that the canvas prints can not be stretched, due to the printing technique. The ink will flake off of the canvas. (I know that the ones on display are on a wood frame, but I was told that those were printed in a dfferent manner) They can, however, be framed. If you chose to have Disney frame them, the free shipping offer does not apply.

AVP

disneyworldwide
03-28-2002, 12:38 PM
All, AVP is wrong. I must correct everyone on this. Print on Demand Canvas Prints can be framed and they are being framed & Stretched at the Disneyland Resort as we speak.

Take a look at the ones in the gallery they are framed and stretched.

Call the Disney Gallery. Get the facts straight.

AVP
03-28-2002, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by disneyworldwide
Call the Disney Gallery. Get the facts straight.

OK, I did.

As I already said above, the ones shown on display in the gallery *are* stretched on a wood frame. However, the respresentative of the company that designed the print-on-demand system said that they should not be stretched, because the ink could flake off, or the image could be distorted. This is a giclee process - the ink is sprayed directly onto the canvas. Just as with stretching a t-shirt with a painted-on logo, the image can be affected if the canvas is stretched.

According to the Gallery CM I just spoke with, Disneyland is offering framing of both the canvas and paper prints, as in, under glass and with an external frame, NOT stretching onto a wooden frame. $150 for the smaller size, $200 for the larger size. (No, I don't understand the idea of putting a canvas under glass either, but that was clearly what I was just told)

I've sent an e-mail to the representative I spoke with in August. I'll print his reply as soon as I receive it. I'll also double check at Gallery in person tomorrow. If the information that I have been repeatedly given is incorrect, I'll be sure to post a correction.

AVP

disneyworldwide
03-28-2002, 01:51 PM
Okay I just called the gallery at 714-781-7531 talked to Christina a wonderfully castmember.

She explained to me the the Canvas Prints are not under glass they are streched and then framed with a black frame.

The Paper Print on Demands are framed under plex glass.

Also I called the framer Picture This and they said that they stretch the canvas. There is a special spray that they spray onto the canvas that protects it from fading away was it has been stretched.

I have done my research and I am 100% sure that they can be stretched and they look marvolous.

AVP
03-28-2002, 03:13 PM
You gotta love conflicting information. I'm still waiting for a reply from the printer representative, but here is the official information from Disney:

Print on Demand Canvas prints can be framed by an experienced framer.

Below is what a Guest receives when they purchase a Canvas print.

Disney Gallery Guest,

Thank you buying a 100 Mickey’s canvas print – we hope that it gives you years of enjoyment. We suggest that you take it to a custom framer experienced in handling canvas prints for stretching and framing. Until it is framed, please refrain from touching the printed area.

To the Framer

The enclosed canvas has been printed using the latest Giclee technology. Prior to the handling required for the stretching and mounting process we suggest that the image is sealed with a proprietary sealant such as ‘BullDog Ultra Coating’. For further details call 714-279-2339 or see www.bulldogproducts.com.

So, those are the facts - unless the canvas is sealed, the ink can flake. And I'm glad Christina had the right info - I hope she shares it with the CM I spoke with. Whew - one mystery solved!

AVP

(Looking forward to Tachy)

Nigel2
03-28-2002, 09:41 PM
Ah, who knew that this would be so confusing. Heck if they look like they are a mass produced item from about 7 feet away (It's a trick a friend showed me) then it's not worth the money, so I will have to see.

Oh and thanks for the help.