PDA

View Full Version : Perks for staying at GCH

my2lalas
01-03-2006, 12:14 PM
We're staying at GCH 1/29-1/31 and I was trying to find info on special perks for hotel guests. I searched old threads, but most of the info was from 2003.
I know about Sephora's makeovers and Build a Bear, but was wondering about any others. Do you really get a $35 gift card at Sephora, after your makeover? Is it just early entry into Build a Bear, or are their discounts/specials. Do they still have the early guided power walk through DCA?
I realize I could wait to get there, but I'd love to plan ahead. I know I have a lot of questions, but I'd appreciate the help. Thanks!

infinite
01-03-2006, 12:31 PM
This is how it worked for us in Sept.

For build a bear the early entry is $10, but you get $10 off your purchase, so it really is free. Or maybe it was we had to spend at least $10. Sephora worked the same way, but the $ amount was different, I can’t remember what it was. Basically it is free, because you get the cost reduced from your purchase. They also had something at the Lego store for a while, but we missed that.

There is a scavenger hunt with a prize at the end. Story time at the hearth at 7:00, I think it was. There was also a kids activity time (they made mugs. A learn to draw Mickey class, and a learn to fold towels class (fold them in a cute manner, I should say). I recall reading something about a tour of the hotel, but I don’t remember the details.

When you arrive you receive a little newsletter, and it tells you everything going on the next day (you get one each day of your visit). They have different events different days. But always seem to have something. There are other special events for concierge level guests as well.

sierranevada
01-03-2006, 12:36 PM
Make sure you read the info sheet they put in your room each night - it has great info on things that are exclusive to GC guests.

They also have a "Grand Quest" everyday from 4 - 5 pm (it will be listed on the info sheet they put in your room with turn down). The Grand Quest is a scavenger hunt in the hotel. Once you have completed it, you turn in your sheet to guest services and you get a coupon for a free cookie. The first family that completes the quest, is chosen as the "Grand Family of the Day". We just did it in December and as the Grand Family you get a big balloon bouquet, a picture with the resort CMs, we got a free photo with Santa (don't know if they will substitute something else during nonholiday season) but the best part was you get the key to the Craftsman Lounge (conceirge) for that evening to enjoy the snacks and watch the Fireworks! They also switch between early entry into Lego Store to build something and early entry into Build A Bear to build a stuffed animal.

They use to offer on the weekends, an E-ride experience especially for teens (not sure if they are still offering it so you should ask). There was an added fee, but this basically was a guided "tour" for teens with no-waits to ride 5 E-ticket attractions at both Disneyland and California Adventure. (Tower of Terror, California Screamin', Splash Mountain, Indiana Jones Adventure and Big Thunder Mountain I believe were the featured attractions).

Also, all DLR hotel guests can enter CA 30 minutes early and ride Soarin' - that was not publicized - we just happen to notice that they were letting people in early! And don't forgot that as a DLR hotel guest, you can use Early Entry every day that it is offered. And there is a special Monorail enterance for hotel guests in Tomorrowland for the trip back if you want to ride the monrail.

They do offer free tours to hotel guests - I believe it is about the hotel - and should be listed in the info sheet.

It is a great hotel. BTW, if you are going to need a small fridge for the room, request it now. The fridge that is already in the room is a mini-bar and all the items are on sensors so if you move anything, it goes on your bill!

infinite
01-03-2006, 12:44 PM
[QUOTE=sierranevada]Make sure you read the info sheet they put in your room each night - it has great info on things that are exclusive to GC guests.

They also have a "Grand Quest" everyday from 4 - 5 pm (it will be listed on the info sheet they put in your room with turn down). The Grand Quest is a scavenger hunt in the hotel. Once you have completed it, you turn in your sheet to guest services and you get a coupon for a free cookie. The first family that completes the quest, is chosen as the "Grand Family of the Day". We just did it in December and as the Grand Family you get a big balloon bouquet, a picture with the resort CMs, we got a free photo with Santa (don't know if they will substitute something else during nonholiday season) but the best part was you get the key to the Craftsman Lounge (conceirge) for that evening to enjoy the snacks and watch the Fireworks! QUOTE]

We were the first family to finish and we didn’t get any of that…..

I will say however, they did tell all the families after that that we were the first to finish, and they had been giving us free things all week (we recieved autographed photos and balloons everyday, for some reason or another), and we already had a key to the craftsman club.

Oh, I wonder if it is the same now, if so we can win for sure…ha ha ha ha!

01-03-2006, 12:57 PM
Do you really get a $35 gift card at Sephora, after your makeover?

Yes but you pay $35 for the makeover so you're breaking even.

BGLeduc
01-03-2006, 01:26 PM
There is no charge for Build a Bear, but the previous poster is right, you must spend at least $10 (not hard to do at all!). Do check out the in room flyer; thats how we found out about the special stuff.

During our stays in '04 and '05 (the week after Thanksgiving) there was a "Learn to Draw Mickey" session in the lounge off of the lobby. There is no charge, and its great fun. Plus, they will take your completed drawing and have Mickey autograph it, then deliver it back to your room.

One thing really cool that they offerred during our stay in '04 (but not in '05), was a short, un-publicized guided tour of the Condor Flats area (before the park offically openned), culminating with a ride on Soaring. We found out about that during the "Learn to Draw Mickey" session. The CM that did the Mickey class directed us to the DCA gate shortly after the session ended, and actually lead the tour.

It was kind of a ra-ra session for DCA, but she did point out certain neat facts about the theme-ing in the area.

There were no more than 15 people that took part, so it was a pretty cool experience. We did not know in advance that we would get to go on Soarin', so that was a great treat.

If memory serves, there is also a class that teaches you how to make wash-cloth animals, but we did not partake in that one.

Brian

disneycanuk
01-03-2006, 09:35 PM
I'm curious does the PPH offer the same stuff, I'm coming down in Feb and am hoping to do as much as possible and evreything possible (my little guys and I are giving a day to even do his VMK stuff), Also I saw on a picture a sandy beach with a TV in it for PPH what is it? Thanks for any help

my2lalas
01-04-2006, 01:32 PM
I'm curious does the PPH offer the same stuff, I'm coming down in Feb and am hoping to do as much as possible and evreything possible (my little guys and I are giving a day to even do his VMK stuff), Also I saw on a picture a sandy beach with a TV in it for PPH what is it? Thanks for any help
I stayed at the PPH in October 2005 and wasn't aware of any special perks like those at GCH. The sandy beach is really a facade with a tv in it. It's a little room off of the lobby that runs old disney cartoons all day (and night, maybe). My kids loved it, the chairs were just their size and it was a quiet break. It's a nice hotel--enjoy your stay!

hlbtimes2
01-04-2006, 01:41 PM
I stayed at the PPH in October 2005 and wasn't aware of any special perks like those at GCH. The sandy beach is really a facade with a tv in it. It's a little room off of the lobby that runs old disney cartoons all day (and night, maybe). My kids loved it, the chairs were just their size and it was a quiet break. It's a nice hotel--enjoy your stay!

ditto.

ILovePoker
01-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Perks: -You get to spend more money than you do at any other hotel.:~D
- ???
- You are close to California Adventure I guess but if you are planning to see more of California than just Disney parks, it's not that big of a deal.

Tinkermommy
01-04-2006, 04:59 PM
(my little guys and I are giving a day to even do his VMK stuff),

You probably already know this, but be sure to print out any quests that are only online before you go. There are 3 that you can pick up at the park, and we've done two that we had to print out at home (Tomorrowland & a holiday quest, which will probably be gone by the time you get there...but who knows!)

My daughter LOVES VMK, and when we get cards, we have to go into Innoventions so she can sign on and load her new stuff right away. On our last visit, she turned in the Holiday Quest and, since she'd done all the quests, they gave her a special prize package of a bunch of cards in addition to the holiday quest cards. She was so excited!

SeansMom
01-04-2006, 05:13 PM
When we stayed at GCH we did none of the "perks"...just too busy elsewhere! Many of their little activities were early in the morning, and as posters here know, that's the time to be in DL!
It is a nice hotel, but I would NEVER pay full price for it. Just NOT worth it. The one thing I would do if we stayed there again, though, would be to take their tour. Have fun!

pisces
01-05-2006, 09:33 AM
I would like to do all that stuff, but I never do. During my stay, they cancelled the Art of the Craft Tour, which I may have done.

But then, I always get the feeling that doing all those activities takes away from my "balcony" time. If I'm paying that kind of money for a room, I might as well get some use out of it, I figure.

And, to pay for a Park Hopper, which is not cheap, I always feel like my first obligation should be----- to be in the Parks, if not in the pricey room.

Time taken up with those special activities takes away from that, if you've only got a limited number of hours.

Maybe next time, I'll just schedule a "free" day----a day that I'm not in the Parks, haven't paid to be in the Parks......and nothing to do other than the special activities.