PDA

View Full Version : Best video shots

lbrackjo
01-02-2006, 03:11 PM
We recieved a camcorder as a gift and wanted to take it on our DL trip. But, I don't want to spend all the time behind the viewfinder. What are the best video shots, i.e which locations/rides/events turn out best? Thanks!

simbaNnala101
01-02-2006, 05:47 PM
I go to disneyland about three times a year and I have found that if you can get the perfered seating on the balcony in New Orleans for the Fantasmic show you can set up your camera and get a great film. Also if you can get in the "Hub" where the Walt Disney and Mickey mouse statue is to get the fire works that is always a great shot as well. Good luck I hope that helped.

~SimbaNnala~

Donald Duck Fan68
01-02-2006, 06:34 PM
I just returned from a 7 day/night trip and I have over 4 hours of video.

As far as the rides:
• the teacups was a lot of fun to video from inside the cup; the camera is focused on a stationary target but the background keeps spinning away
• dumbo, astro orbiter, golden zepher were all similar and much funner to tape inside the ride as opposed to taping one of the kids riding it from the outside
• don't attempt any dark rides unless your camera has a "night shot" mode, and don't turn on any exterior lighting when doing so
• Also, check with the CM to see if they allow video taping during a particular ride; for example, I know it's not allowed in Soarin', but I sure saw a lot of cell phones out facing the screen.

Shows:
• Any parade is a lot of fun to tape
• If you're going to tape the fireworks I'd recommend watching them once first and then taping on your second viewing, that way you know what's happening and when. If you're really into getting a prime location, right in front of the castle people start camping out around 4 pm or earlier.

Use the video camera a lot during the day when the light is good; use it very sparingly at night unless it's something like the Electric Parade.

lbrackjo
01-03-2006, 06:42 AM
Good tips, Thanks!:)

SandraVB79
01-03-2006, 07:06 AM
If you plan to tape rides like BTMRR or SM, make sure the camera can't fly away. I think Indy would be a cool ride to tape, but I haven't tried it yet, our camera (an old one) is too big to be handy to tape rides from the inside.

JookyG
01-03-2006, 10:05 AM
I recently was at DLR doing a lot of filming, and wish I'd had the forethought to ask this question to the boards. I learned a lot about filming at Disneyand. Hopefully I'll remember some of this for next time...

Beware of rough rides, like Matterhorn or Indy. You probably won't get any usable footage from those due to the camera movement (besides, Indy's too dark mostly). Likewise, don't walk and film. I thought this would be fun to see myself walking around the park, but it's all shaky and no good to watch, even with the image stabilization on. So tell your family to bear with you because you're going to be stopping every now and then to grab some footage. And don't be shy with the camera. It might seem annoying when you're doing it, but you'll appreciate the footage later.

Big Thunder is smooth enough that you can get some good shots. I have both a camcorder and a still camera that does short vid clips. With the still camera, I was comfortable enough with my grip to turn the camera around and film myself and my peeps as we rode. It's some of my favorite footage! Same goes with the Mad Tea Party, as DDFan68 mentioned.

My advice is to NOT film the fireworks, unless you have the luxury of watching them twice from the Hub. I spent the first 1/3 of the show with my eye to the viewfinder, and realized I was having a miserable time. I was too concerned with composition and focus to even see the show. So I put the camera down and just plain enjoyed it. If you want a great video of the Remember fireworks show, buy one of the unofficial DVDs available online. There's a terriffic one with multiple camera angles and 5.1 audio available from http://www.windowtothemagic.com/. (No, I don't work for them, although I do plug them a lot.)

Fun things to film:

Forget filming the rides--most of the good rides are set up so you can't get good video anyway. Instead film your family ON the rides, meeting characters, eating Disneyland-specific treats, etc. It's those moments that make the trip magical.
Sword in the Stone in front of King Arthur's Carousel. Super fun to watch the lil ones try to get the sword out.
Live music, like the Dapper Dans on Main Street, or the jazz bands that play in New Orleans Square.
California Screamin' is super smooth and makes for a good ride video.
Tiki Room (if this is your kind of entertainment) is well-lit and makes for good video. The preshow in the courtyard is fun to tape too.
The gags in Toontown are hilarious. You know, the crates with handles you can pull and they make funny sounds. There's also the rubber jail, toon cars, and other things that make great video clips.
Make sure to get some steady shots of the Disneyland landmarks to splice between the action shots, like shots of the castle, Matterhorn, Mark Twain, etc. Hold that camera steady!!! It makes all the difference.
Autopia makes for some great footage, even though it can be quite shaky due to the stop-and-go nature of the cars.
Aerial views of the park from the monorail are fun.
Riding through the It's a Small World facade on the train at night is cool.

Oh gosh, there's too many. Just remember to have fun and make sure to balance the fun with the filmmaking. I only get to the park once ever 2 years, so I was really hesitant to take my camcorder. I don't think I will next time, because there's really something to be said for enjoying the park *without* a camera stuck to your face. On one hand you won't have a permanent record, but on the other hand you'll remember it so much better.

Have fun!

Disneynerd
01-03-2006, 10:23 AM
Try not to zoom in and out. It makes viewing pretty shakey. It's nice to have a panoramic shot anyway, see things in their surroundings. Any type of moving while video-ing can make for shakey shots as well - I agree with the person who said walking and taping was bad news. For a nice effect, fade to black after each shot instead of just hitting pause. I like to interview my family members before and after each ride. Makes for some priceless quotes especially if you have little ones. I also like to narrate shots with Disneyland trvia. For example, "This is the Market House, you will notice that each story gets shorter and shorter, this is called forced perspective....blah, blah, blah" Kinda fun, makes it more interesting for the viewer.
Have a great time!