PDA

View Full Version : Will Disneyland ever get Photo Pass?

lauramaynot
01-01-2006, 10:34 PM
I was just wondering if anyone knows if the photopass system at WDW will ever be available at DLR. We used it during our trip to WDW in December and it was awesome. The WDW photographers didn't do as good as a job as they usually do for us at DL but having the option to access your park photos after you go home is awesome! All of the pictures we took at the different parks on different days were all put onto one card and so instead of buying pictures in each park and having to keep track of a bunch of papers they are all in one convenient place. It is also nice to be able to "really" look at them (I always feel rushed in the Kodak shop). I really like the system and would love to see it (and shorter lines on mainstreet;) ) in California.

hbquikcomjamesl
01-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Huh?

MammaSilva
01-01-2006, 10:41 PM
I've heard of this by reading WDW trip reports and wish WISH they'd do it at DLR! It would be so cool to have them all in one convienant spot after we got home and it would stretch the buying out over a couple different 'budget' periods as well LOL.

lauramaynot
01-01-2006, 10:44 PM
WDW has a system where when you have a photographer take your photo in a photo spot, the photographer gives you a plastic card which they swipe each time you have photos taken instead of giving out the paper claim tickets (you keep it and give it to each photographer as you travel through the parks). The card is then used to claim your photos at each park or when you get home you can log on to a website to view and purchase your pictures. I think the system has only been in service for a year or so and I only learned about it when I was there. I had never heard of it before. Hope that makes sense!

bassett1976
01-01-2006, 11:41 PM
I think DLR also needs to get the wireless upload of your pictures. The MK in WDW has it (although the other parks do not). The CMs were very suprised to hear that DL did not have this feature and more suprised to find out that they used the old paper receipts.

Durliin
01-02-2006, 12:03 AM
From what I have heard Photopass is comming soon to the resort.

Drince88
01-02-2006, 06:14 AM
We just used Photopass during our trip after Thanksgiving - and I can tell you Disney would NOT have gotten as much money (or any) from us for photos if we'd had to go to the appropriate desk in each park each day to look at them. There is no way we would have stood in any appreciable line to buy photos, but it was easy to do from the comfort of our homes!

You can also add your own borders, send the link to others, and I think you could even make holiday cards from your picture. Disney doesn't have the large line of people at the end of the day at the pick up location (and therefore doesn't have to staff that!). (Although, I say Disney, I believe the photo people are all Kodak at WDW, and the website is pretty clear it's Kodak)

I can't imagine the cost of the hardware for the cameras is THAT expensive, that they wouldn't make it up in almost no time with the reduced staffing at the counter (and avoidance of the line-up of tired parents and their equally tired kids!) and increased sales.

hlbtimes2
01-02-2006, 08:12 AM
Sounds like a great system. I would be more likely to buy pictures this way. We never take time to go view the pictures taken of us. If I could do it from home (or hotel on laptop) I would be 100 times more likely to purchase.

Micki0624
01-02-2006, 09:46 AM
WDW has alot of other technology that DL does not. Photopass was the easiest system ever. On another note the system I did NOT like was the finger scanning at the front entrance. I hope DL doest not ever start that. I like the technology at the Pilots grill. A touch screen takes your order, seems more efficient and I hope they use this at other restaurants real soon.

Drince88
01-02-2006, 09:52 AM
WDW has alot of other technology that DL does not. Photopass was the easiest system ever. On another note the system I did NOT like was the finger scanning at the front entrance. I hope DL doest not ever start that. I like the technology at the Pilots grill. A touch screen takes your order, seems more efficient and I hope they use this at other restaurants real soon.
I agree that the finger scan is a bit of a hassle - but they can have one cast member working 2 turnstyles - DL still has the cast member put your ticket into the reader, which hasn't been the case at WDW since LONG before the finger scan went into place. They also started the scanning with APs, so don't be surprised if that's who they start with at DL!

But regarding Test Pilots - I really despised that system. We wanted two burgers and one order of fries to share - since there wasn't anyone nearby to help us figure it out (and it was FAR from obvious, if even possible), we ordered both with the fries. Although neither of us are rocket scientists, it shouldn't take that (or being 12) to figure out how to get just a burger.

PhiSigDuchessCV
01-02-2006, 12:08 PM

Oh I hope that is one rumor that is true. I had my first encounter with PhotoPass at WDW back in May. There were times I didn't want to wait in line to view the photos. It was nice to know that they would be available to look at and purchase once I got home. Plus my friends and family were able to look at them all to help me choose the best ones.

charpaul
01-02-2006, 05:44 PM
But regarding Test Pilots - I really despised that system. We wanted two burgers and one order of fries to share - since there wasn't anyone nearby to help us figure it out (and it was FAR from obvious, if even possible), we ordered both with the fries. Although neither of us are rocket scientists, it shouldn't take that (or being 12) to figure out how to get just a burger.

I agree with you that the system is not that easy to navigate.
I ALWAYS have problems with it accepting my AP discount!!! My worst complaint is when the large family in your line has the kids do the on screen ordering because it is fun for them...... This slows things up even more!!!!!

mckygirl99
01-02-2006, 06:18 PM
WDW has alot of other technology that DL does not. Photopass was the easiest system ever. On another note the system I did NOT like was the finger scanning at the front entrance. I hope DL doest not ever start that.

Totally agree with that statement! I hated the finger scan! We didn't figure it out completely until the end of the trip. Thank god they don't do little kids! To me, it was impersonal and weird.

mi_mous
01-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Our friends went to WDW last year, and they e-mailed the pictures out to everyone, so you can share them as well.
I was wondering how they did that, and why I couldn't do the same thing at Disneyland.. now I know!
I hope it comes sooner than later, cause that sure would be something I would find useful!
Have you ever had your picture taken, and then it is too soon to see the picture? But, it is time for the park to close, or you want to leave? We have had this happen on a couple of occasions, and this photo pass would be a great solution for that!
Plus, I would probably be more likely to stop for a photo because I won't have to keep track of a million little papers, only one card.

ArthurBang
01-02-2006, 08:39 PM
It's definitely coming to DLR. But when, I don't really know...

WITron
01-03-2006, 09:53 PM
I wish they had that for our trip in December. I took my daughter to the Disney Visa meet and greet over at California Adventure our last day at the parks and never got to see the pictures of her, Mickey, and Goofy. We did use the coupon to get a picture of the family in front of the Christmas tree and our daughter holding Tinkerbell.

PhiSigDuchessCV
05-02-2006, 09:40 PM

Hi All,

I was at DL on April 15th with one of my friends. It was her birthday and she wanted to get some of the pictures that the cast members take. As they were giving me the claim tickets for the pictures, I made a comment about wishing DL had Photo Pass the way WDW does. The CM told me they were getting it soon. He said that plans are that it should be up and running in about a month. So hopefully then by the end of this month they will have photopass up and running. YEA!!!

Now my question is, can I use my photopass I got at WDW for the pictures at DL and vice versa.

Carolyn

bradk
05-02-2006, 09:53 PM
i doubt they'll be connected, but you never know. seems like a lot of overhead though with not a lot of practicality to back it up. the photopass photos are only supposed to be online for 30 days anyway. and the big thing now are the CDs

kimmybear
05-02-2006, 11:02 PM
WDW has a system where when you have a photographer take your photo in a photo spot, the photographer gives you a plastic card which they swipe each time you have photos taken instead of giving out the paper claim tickets (you keep it and give it to each photographer as you travel through the parks). The card is then used to claim your photos at each park or when you get home you can log on to a website to view and purchase your pictures.

does it cost anything to get the card? and about how much are the prints that you order from kodak? thanks! i'd love to have a system like this at DL! oh, and just to comfirm, it's free to have the CMs take the pic and you only have to pay when you buy the picture, right? :D

bradk
05-03-2006, 04:03 AM
well, technically photopass people aren't CMs (which is important because in my experience, a very small percentage even have any working knowledge of the parks - they're just there to do their job), but yes, the cards are free as well as having the photos taken. the prints themselves are expensive (I believe 12.95 for a 5x7) with occasional specials, but within the past few months, they've been offering a photopass CD for $99 which grants you unlimited access/use to the photos, so you can take it to any developer and have prints made for much less.

the photopasses also have some neat tricks they can do. for example, at MK, you can hold tinkerbelle; at DAK, you can hold baby simba; and at MGM, Stitch can break his way into the photo. They also have borders, autographs and other accents that can be added to the photo (although for the CD, this must all be done before purchasing the CD as it only contains only the images and not the software to add them).