PDA

View Full Version : Weird Ride Traditions?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

MonorailMan
03-26-2002, 05:52 PM
Do you have any Wierd Ride Traditions?

I have some (or there wouldn't be this thread :D ), like when I ride Autopia, I like to slow down in the "Off Road" area to see the water squirt. :) Also, while on Dumbo/Astro after 5 rotations I go all the way up, after 5 rotations I go all the way down, then I go up and down in sucession. :)

Iceman
03-26-2002, 06:11 PM
I like to do something special on all the rides that have photos. I either pretend to be asleep, look like I'm about to freak out, whatever. Since the others in whatever vehicle it is usually have no idea when the picture is being taken, they invariably laugh when they see the shot on the monitor at the end of the ride...

HBDisneyPrincess
03-26-2002, 06:18 PM
Most of mine relate to when I was a kid and very scared and sensative about loud sounds...
1) I always cover my ears when I go by the roaring abominable snowman on the Matterhorn (usually, I close my eyes, too, just as I pass him each time...)

2) I always cover my ears in the orange tunnel at the end of Space Mountain.

3) I put my hair in a pony tail on Indiana Jones...this is more of a comfort thing...too many times my hair has gotten caught between someones back and their seat after bumping around and flying around a corner. Ouch!

4) I have never ridden the Haunted Mansion alone. When I go by myself I skip that attraction.

5) I always clap at the end of Soarin' Over California.

(Am I compleatly nerdy???)
:D

Uncle Dick
03-26-2002, 06:19 PM
In the Tiki Room, I always stand up at the very end when José asks everyone to give the birds a standing ovation. No one else ever does so I look a little stupid standing in the middle of the room, but I'm really just doing what the birds say. Must...obey....birds.....

I always duck during Dolly's Drop on the Matterhorn during the rolling boulder part of Indiana Jones Adventure.

And, of course, I always lean forward just before the "stinger" pops out in It's Tough to Be a Bug.

Nigel2
03-26-2002, 09:17 PM
I like to cover the mousetail and the sneeze from HISTA and I sometimes lean forward on It's tough to be...

Oh and I either hide in my shirt/jacket or "lunge" at the cameraman on SSL.:D

BlastFanatic
03-26-2002, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by MonorailMan

when I ride Autopia, I like to slow down in the "Off Road" area to see the water squirt. :)

When i Ride Autopia, I like to just barely touch the gas the whole way through so i go as slow as possible, just to get the most out of the ride. Hey at least I don't "stop in the middle of the track"

TerryTiger
03-26-2002, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by BlastFanatic

When i Ride Autopia, I like to just barely touch the gas the whole way through so i go as slow as possible, just to get the most out of the ride. Hey at least I don't "stop in the middle of the track"

My favorite way to ride Autopia is to NOT use the steering wheel. That way the car slams from side to side and becomes much more exciting!

PinkFloyd
03-27-2002, 09:00 AM
Great thread! Like HBDisneyPrincess, I have a tradition from childhood. On POC when the skull talks I use to always close my eyes. On the teacups, I have to stare at one spot as I hate the feeling of spinning. My aunt passed on to me her tradtion of always spiting out a piece of gum during a partcular scene in Peter Pan, but I stoped doing that some time ago as it was an absolutly terribe idea!

Only 1 more day untill Disneyland!!!!

FEJ
03-27-2002, 08:03 PM
I like to "Drive" the Indy Jeeps. I use hand signals, complain that i dont know how to drive stick when the jeep stalls, etc...

Uncle Dick
03-27-2002, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by FEJ
I like to "Drive" the Indy Jeeps. I use hand signals, complain that i dont know how to drive stick when the jeep stalls, etc...
That reminds me. Whenever I go on Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, I use the steering wheel to turn in whatever direction the car is going.

DisneylandBoy
03-27-2002, 09:17 PM
Whenever I go on Splash Mountain, I always sit in the very front. On the final drop, I slide all the way forward and don;t hold on to anything. It feels like I'm going to fall out!

madamemortem
07-22-2002, 03:09 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by MonorailMan
[B]Do you have any Wierd Ride Traditions?

When my family and I go on Indy, while going thru the queue, that little statue of Mara, well, we call it "Tom" and slap its face for luck. Been doing that since it opened.

Mansion Man
07-22-2002, 06:52 AM
This is a no-brainer, but for me it's reciting the elevator spiel in the Haunted Mansion...

"Of course, there's always my way...":eek:

merlinjones
07-22-2002, 08:13 AM
Some years back, my friends and I had a tradition of screaming on the Alice in Wonderland leaves as we descended the curved track as if on a rollercoaster. It always got a laugh from the queue.

Mansion Man
07-22-2002, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by merlinjones
Some years back, my friends and I had a tradition of screaming on the Alice in Wonderland leaves as we descended the curved track as if on a rollercoaster. It always got a laugh from the queue.

Yes! I've seen that before, and it's funny as hell!:D

Niwel
07-22-2002, 09:13 AM
Fun thread!!!
Like others I close my ears on the Matterhorn -- too loud-- and say the elevator spiel on mansion"
But i also:

--- Follow the sounds of the "gods" in the TIKI preshow
--- Laugh at all the jokes the skipper makes on JUNGLE CRUISE
--- When I go to "hell" on MR. TOAD I always say ... "Thank you ... that is all .." just like the judge.
---- The spiel on PIRATES (dead men tell no tales)
---- On ALICE: Applaud the King when he pops out from behind the queen

Techie7
07-22-2002, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Niwel
and say the elevator spiel on mansion

Let me know if you ever find an elevator on Pirates ;)

Niwel
07-22-2002, 09:42 AM
oops -- you are right - all fixed!

Ace
07-22-2002, 01:59 PM
YOU ARE ALL SUCH FREAKS!!!!!!!

Lucky thing I'm one too. Last time I was there I went on the mansion and prayed that I wasn't able to recite the whole thing... and I did. I never made an attempt to memorize it, so it was pretty weird. What else.... I always go through the left entrance tunnel. Dunno if that counts. When we're in line for dark rides where the cars are different colors/characters we always bet on which color/character we'll be sitting in. Uhh.... That's it.

Squinky

p.s. I have to start trying the "I can't drive stick!" on Indy... that sounds hilarious.

Cadaverous Pallor
07-22-2002, 02:14 PM
A lot of these "traditions" really depend on my mood. We, too, do the usual "recite the mansion/pirates spiel" stuff. Especially the cadaverous pallor and ghoulish delight parts. ;)

On Indy, when Mara says "You looked into my eyes", GD and I either accuse each other of looking (Did you have to look AGAIN?) or admit we looked (I just can't help it! Damn!) or even blame tourists (Alright, who's the newbie that looked?!) Ending our yelling spiel with something like "But I wanted eternal youth!" is also fun.

Yelling at Indy is fun too. "Jump down, we got ya!"

Then there's the legendary "goat trick" on Big Thunder. Keep your eyes on the goat all the way around the bend. Ah, whiplash. ;)

The mention of "applauding the King on Alice" reminds me of something we used to do at SF Magic Mountain. Their atmosphere music came out of speakers stuck in flower beds. We would always applaud the flowers as we passed. "Wow, those flowers are fantastic musicians!"

And, of course, if you are on a ride that is visible to others (train, monorail, Matterhorn) you wave at the people below. If you are below, you wave at the people on the rides!

Disney Darlin'
07-22-2002, 02:25 PM
I always have to touch the apple in the entrance to Snow White. The cackling usually scares kids but after they realize where it came from, they start doing it too. :D

cyberRoo
07-22-2002, 02:57 PM
Ok, since it's clear that we're the only ones that do this, I'm starting to get a little embarassed...

But on Thunder, we always point at the animals and yell - "Look, turtles" or "SNAKES!" - you get the idea. I don't know how it started.

We're also the irritating people who stick our hands in the waterfall on the first lift and splash each other (and, I'm sure, whatever unfortunate stragers happen to be sitting in front on us).

[and, completely off topic, I was forced to sit and watch the parade that won't die on Sunday just to see if Tarzan was all that he was cracked up to be]

innerSpaceman
07-22-2002, 03:17 PM
On Alice, when our caterpillar comes out into the open near the end of the ride, we lean all the way to the right and struggle (in vain) to tip the car over in the precise spot where we actually witnessed a caterpillar spill over, trapping a family of way-too-fat-to-ride people inside.

Not exactly a tradition, but we always wear rainbow, light-refracting glasses on Space Mountain. They turn every point of light into streaks of rainbow colors. Try it once and you will see why we do it every time.

We also sing the Swisska Polka very loudly during our (very infrequent) walks through the Tarzan Treehouse.

HBTiggerFan
07-22-2002, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by cyberRoo
Ok, since it's clear that we're the only ones that do this, I'm starting to get a little embarassed...

But on Thunder, we always point at the animals and yell - "Look, turtles" or "SNAKES!" - you get the idea. I don't know how it started.

We're also the irritating people who stick our hands in the waterfall on the first lift and splash each other (and, I'm sure, whatever unfortunate stragers happen to be sitting in front on us).

[and, completely off topic, I was forced to sit and watch the parade that won't die on Sunday just to see if Tarzan was all that he was cracked up to be]

I used to yell "LOOK a _____" too, about the animals.

Sundays Tarzan wasn't all that compared the other Tarzans I have seen in the past. sigh...wish my tarzan would be comming home soon

Gemini Cricket
07-22-2002, 03:52 PM
When I ride the Indiana Jones Adventure ride, I have to drive. :)

I like to sit in the back of Big Thunder and do the goat trick.

When I'm riding Pirates I like to ride in the back row with someone special and snuggle.

When I drop from Chikapin Hill, I try to keep my arms up all the way. I've never done it yet, but I try.

When I ride the Hauned Mansion, I always turn around to look at the light and the gobo that casts the clawed arm shadow over the 13 hour grandfather clock. (I don't know why I do this, but I always do. I'm weird.)