PDA

View Full Version : a question for CMs (and everyone else) - about those wheelchairs....

disneyholic family
03-26-2002, 01:48 PM
so about all those people who rent wheelchairs just to jump ahead in line....
we all know whom i'm talking about....
the people who take turns sitting in it while it's being pushed around....
i'm wondering if it bothers CMs to see that as much as it bothers us...
and i always wonder what people who REALLY need them think about these people...

Gail T
03-26-2002, 03:34 PM
This is an issue that has always gotten me mad. if a person is able to walk why take away what may be needed by someone who relys on a chair to get around. Like I have stated in a previous post I was just diagnosed with MS. I am thankful I can walk so I would never think of renting a WC. A friend of mine told me I should get a letter from the doctor so i could go to the beginning of the line because sun and heat have a big effect on MS. I told her I will not, I enjoy the lines, the crowds and all the people around me, if I didn't want to walk or wait in lines I would go to an island. Now that I was diagnosed I don't know what life is going to be given l to me but while I am able I will not milk any special needs privelages until I really will have to rely on them. Sorry this was so long but I get upset with topic, he now affects me to a point.

Iceman
03-26-2002, 06:02 PM
Unfortunately there will always be people who take advantage of things. The wheelchairs is one example. I remember a thread a couple of months back about how to fake out the FastPass machines by using old tickets. At Pleasure Island they had a policy where if you got confetti in your drink you could get a new one free--guess how many people scooped confetti off the ground?

All of these things (and other examples like then) really do get my goat. In my more somber moods, it makes me realize how selfish and lazy we Americans have gotten. Other times I try to just shrug it off and ignore it. Perhaps the worst part is that these moochers spoil it for everyone else, because eventually policies have to be changed to prevent the cheating.

I can only imagine how frustrating it must be for cast members, because they can't even say all the nasty things that go through their heads...

HTHBellcaptain
03-26-2002, 06:52 PM
Fortunately, at the Disney-MGM Studios the attractions are new enough that most of them were made to handle Guests with disabilities. Tower of Terror is one of those attractions that has equal access for all Guests. If someone approaches in a wheelchair with a broken leg or whatever, we politely direct them to the standby (regular line) entrance.

Another option that people have is to get a FastPass. This has saved us a lot problems. If somebody can't wait in the sun, they can get a FP and wait anywhere they wish while they are waiting for their time window.

Of cousre there are occasions when we may need to deviate to allow a Guest immediate access because of certain medical conditions. I know that there are those who take advantage us. Actually they are taking advantage of the other Guests. But my personal belief is that I would rather have someone take advantage of me, than me not believe them when they might have a legitimate need. I would feel awful if I ended up destroying someone's day because I didn't believe them. What goes around comes around. Those who are scamming people will some how get what's coming to them. After all, they have to live with who they are, and I have to live with who I am.

Flippyshark
03-26-2002, 07:05 PM
There is much wisdom in the words of HTHBellcaptain. My experience was often similar - you end up taking a little bit of bad along with a much larger share of good by taking people at their word. Unfortunately, a lot of cast members I worked with became so cynical, they closed themselves off from trusting, communicating with, or responding to anyone.

It's been said before, but it's worth saying again - CMs have a really tough job, and the ones who excel at it are truly remarkable people.

HTHBellcaptain
03-26-2002, 07:10 PM
Thank you Flippyshark!

Originally posted by Flippyshark
Unfortunately, a lot of cast members I worked with became so cynical, they closed themselves off from trusting, communicating with, or responding to anyone.

It's what I call the Barney Fife syndrome. People who enforce rules just to try to look important.

disneyholic family
03-26-2002, 09:16 PM
my son's the same way.....
he wears a brace from his neck to his hips....a very heavy brace that completely encases his body (looks like a cast made out of thick molded plastic)...
well, as you can imagine, it's VERY hot....plus he has to wear an undershirt under it besides the tshirt he wears over it....
last year was the first time he had to wear it at WDW.....
i was worried about him having to deal with 90 degree heat and 100% humidity, while encased in that suit of armor...
i told him i'd find out if there was a way for him to be able to get into rides faster (on rides that don't have fastpasses), or into shows, without having to stand in line in the hot sun...
i even called WDW to find out if it was possible (it is)...
but he refused.....he didn't want any special treatment....
so we just waited with everyone else (but we also left the parks every day by noon to keep him out of the worst of it)...

in any case, i'm quite sure that the people who are unfortunate enough to have to really use wheelchairs are terribly insulted by those who take advantage......not to mention the fact that it makes their special wheelchair lines longer increasing the length of their waiting time....

and Iceman you're right....there are always people who will take advantage of everything......i know that....but it will never stop disturbing me that they do....

dsnyredhead
03-27-2002, 05:24 AM
I'd like to know how people can tell whether or not someone is "abusing" the system. This thread has come up several times in the past and as always, I'd like to point out that I have a condition that allows for limited mobility.

I can't walk for long periods of time, but can get up and walk briefly. I can spend parts of the day walking and then all of a sudden can't walk then need to rent a wheelchair. I've even "switched" being the person being pushed with a close friend of mine who has a completely different condition than mine who also has times when her condition affects her. It's even beneficial for me to get up and walk for bit, but I can't walk for a long period of time. My condition can affect me differently from hour to hour.

So I suppose if someone saw me briefly up and then saw me in a wheelchair that person would think the same of me? I think people need to avoid being prejudice on this issue.

LyricSaison
03-27-2002, 12:46 PM
I try not to get too cynical towards people who look like they should be able-bodied using wheelchairs. I know that people with Lupus, MS, CFS, Siatica (like my dad) or any number of other health problems can look healthy. But when I saw four teenage boys with very muscular legs akwardly using wheelchairs and almost running people over I becaue suspicious. I work in a medical area and have found that people who often use wheelchairs have a certain ettiquitte about it - nothing I can put my finger on, but a confidence with the equipment. Admittedly, maybe some of the visitors at WDW are using the wheelchair only for the vacation, but I think this is still a good rule of thumb.