PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of the Carribean doesn't smell anymore. Did they start chlorinating?

JookyG
12-30-2005, 10:22 AM
On my recent visit to Disneyland, I noticed that POTC doesn't have that trademark smell anymore. Booooo! While it's not entirely pleasant, I loved that smell because it was so distinctive and authentic. I was in New Orleans a few years ago, and was struck by the exact same smell. It instantly took me back to Disneyland. Apparantly it's a common smell in damp climates. I can smell it in my neighborhood in Seattle on particularly wet days and it always reminds me of my childhood visits to DL.

So, did Disney start chlorinating the water, or had they just recently cleaned out the bayou?

Werner
12-30-2005, 11:02 AM
On my recent visit to Disneyland, I noticed that POTC doesn't have that trademark smell anymore. Booooo! While it's not entirely pleasant, I loved that smell because it was so distinctive and authentic. I was in New Orleans a few years ago, and was struck by the exact same smell. It instantly took me back to Disneyland. Apparantly it's a common smell in damp climates. I can smell it in my neighborhood in Seattle on particularly wet days and it always reminds me of my childhood visits to DL.

So, did Disney start chlorinating the water, or had they just recently cleaned out the bayou?

JookyG -- These were my exact thoughts back in August. I was so diappointed! And not only did Pirates not have that good smell, but it seemed like Haunted Mansion was void of its smell also! I wonder if Disney is having to "clean up" its smells? Ugh! I hope not! The olfactory sense is such a subtle yet powerful part of the whole "package". I suppose the subs are going to be converted to natural gas -- then I won't get to revel in that wonderful diesel smell (along with the chlorine in the water) LOL -- er maybe they'll use a non-chlorine purification process too.....gee getting rid of all the fun!

Osky
12-30-2005, 11:09 AM
I have to agree that the smells are a big part of the experience. The smells are one of the things I look forward to the most. Funny you mention the smell of the subs. I have spent a lot of time around WWII aircraft and WWII naval ships. They all have a distinct smell that is just not present with modern military equipment. Modern ships and planes just seem so sterile compared to the older ones, and they don't stick out in my memories like the older ones do. I believe the smells are a big part of that.

K & S
12-30-2005, 11:10 AM

Over chlorinating would be more like it, Twice the chlorine was so strong I couldn't go on the ride, my eyes watered and I felt nauseous.

JookyG
12-30-2005, 11:18 AM
Well, at least I have my memories. The smell is so baked into my childhood that I will ALWAYS think of POTC when I whiff it.

Sorry to hear they're overdoing it at times. Must be particular days, or maybe someone put too much in that day. You should definitely complain to management if it's too strong. I'm not a whiner, but I do like to complain when things aren't right. Not that I want anything out of it--I just want my vote to be counted in the long run.

Disneymademoiselle
12-30-2005, 10:29 PM
In all honesty, nothing quite beats the smell of POTC. I could be walking around my hometown, catch a whiff of something that smells like POTC, turn to whoever I'm with and say, "It smells like Pirates of the Carribean out here," and they'll say, "Yeah, it totally does!" I might be dumb to call a smell classic or timeless, but POTC's certainly is!!!

disneyhound
12-31-2005, 06:18 AM
In all honesty, nothing quite beats the smell of POTC. I could be walking around my hometown, catch a whiff of something that smells like POTC, turn to whoever I'm with and say, "It smells like Pirates of the Carribean out here," and they'll say, "Yeah, it totally does!"...
Are you sure you have never said "It smells like POTC" only to have the person you are with look baffeled and say "What are you talking about?" ;)

averagedork
12-31-2005, 06:22 AM
Things I miss by having a bad nose. If compared to a taste what did POTC taste like? (I have like 0 sense of smell so I compare things to taste because that I get.) I like the taste of the Monster's Inc ride. The air is so thick w/ ginger I feel like I could eat it all.

JookyG
01-01-2006, 11:13 AM
Things I miss by having a bad nose. If compared to a taste what did POTC taste like? (I have like 0 sense of smell so I compare things to taste because that I get.) I like the taste of the Monster's Inc ride. The air is so thick w/ ginger I feel like I could eat it all.

Hmmm. Interesting question. It's a dank, mildewy smell. I'm not sure what it would taste like. A mix of water that's been standing too long, acrid (or tangy?) from the mildew but a little bit sweet from waterlogged decay of roots, leaves, and other organic matter. That's as close as I can come in terms of flavor. Anyone else want to take a stab at it? :D

disneyhound
01-01-2006, 11:23 AM
...A mix of water that's been standing too long, acrid (or tangy?) from the mildew but a little bit sweet from waterlogged decay of roots, leaves, and other organic matter...Add a sneeker from a High School gym locker, and of course some chewed wads of gum (mixture of colors and flavors); I think the cocktail is getting close! ;)

RStar
01-01-2006, 03:42 PM
How about a blend of mushroom, water, and bread mold?:eek:

Also, they did replace the carpet in HM a few years back, and that changed the smell completely. It got a musty, almost authentic old mansion smell from it. But it was past time to replace it.:(

Another ride with a particular smell is Indy. It has a metal shop, electrical train smell. If I had to compare it to a taste, try sucking on a nickle.;)

~Bob

Opus1guy
01-13-2006, 06:53 PM
Kidding aside...I rode Pirates today and frankly it stunk downstairs. Don't know what was causing it but it wasn't any type of smell I ever recall. I mean...it stunk. Like sewage. The whole attraction after the down waterfall.

Also the sound was real screwy. The auction and chase scenes the background main theme music was off and you only heard the pirates dialog voices. It was very strange. Also some of the speakers were distorting and "tearing" on the high pitches.

It really was a sub-par show and something that would have gotten the attraction immediately shut down in the old days. Figuring they might not be aware of it, I reported it to a Cast Member who frankly didn't act like they cared very much. So I also reported it a City Hall.

Lekta
01-16-2006, 11:17 AM
Yeah, the PoC will be missed by me and my family. I hope that it isn't true. That was one of the most telling signs of being at the park.

Also, I guess I could compare the smell to some type of sweetish smelling wood that has been soaking for a while, creating some type of mildewy smell. Yeah, I know my grasp of scientific vocabulary is alarming! =)

Syndrome
01-16-2006, 12:09 PM
As strange as it sounds, I'm saddened that POTC doesn't have its trademark smell. That's something me and my wife have always commented on and it's become a part of the attraction for us. We'll be there in a few weeks, so I get to sniff for myself. :D

MrsPooh
01-16-2006, 12:15 PM
I'm just shocked to find that others know that smell and like it too!

We always know when we are in POTC. We recognize that smell elsewhere too, and always comment. Makes us want to be in DL right away!

Lekta
01-16-2006, 12:17 PM
As strange as it sounds, I'm saddened that POTC doesn't have its trademark smell. That's something me and my wife have always commented on and it's become a part of the attraction for us. We'll be there in a few weeks, so I get to sniff for myself. :D

Not strange at all.. least not to me. I will be truly sad if it is true =(

spectromen
01-16-2006, 06:00 PM
I wouldn't worry much. All the trademark smells of POTC, HM, Small World, and the Fantasyland dark rides are all still there IMO. Maybe not as strong as before, but still present. I especially love the air coming out of the A/C vents on Pirates in the "no fear have ye" cave, because they're right at nose level. ;)

Opus - I noticed the same probs with Pirates last weekend, but even worse, there was visibly water leaking from the ceiling in the scene where the skeleton is "drinking" wine down it's throat...I assume that right above that is the flume where the Pirates song is first played after the first drop. Pretty scary that all that concrete fill-in could be all moldy and such, huh? I guess the big rehab to add Johnny Depp is going to be about more than just new animatronics.

Chemmech
01-16-2006, 09:43 PM
When it comes to "smells," Disneyland has alot of character :) .