PDA

View Full Version : If we get turned away (a hypothetical)

Diosabellissima
12-29-2005, 02:16 PM
Saturday a friend and I are planning to brave the madness for a full day of Disney. Because I am fully aware that things are going to be nuts and selling out right away, we are getting there before 8, getting our tickets, and begining our marathon of craziness. I will have my Disneyland, darnit! ;)

But a hypothetical: let's say that we get turned away from DL for some reason (maybe we left for lunch and the place was past capacity when we returned) and we're sent over to DCA. If we are in DCA and, somehow, DL opens again, do we get to go back? Or would we be stuck in DCA for the rest of the day?

I guess I'm asking: if you are turned away from DL, does your ticket automatically become a (sort-of) park-hopper ticket?

And, as a total side question: we're bringing in two blankets for laying on and, ya know, basic warmth in the evening :D. Our plan is to jam them into lockers for the better part of the day, until we need them. Is anyone going to say anything to me (at the gate) for bringing in two blankets? I'm just not entirely clear on the policy.

hlbtimes2
12-29-2005, 02:37 PM
If you dont have a park hopper I dont believe you will be able to park hop. If you think you'll need that option you better plan for it and buy the right ticket.

Blankets should not be a problem at all. People bring them to sit on all the time.

adriennek
12-29-2005, 02:38 PM
I guess I'm asking: if you are turned away from DL, does your ticket automatically become a (sort-of) park-hopper ticket?

It depends on what kind of ticket you bought.

If you have a park hopper and one of the parks is closed, you can't hop even if you paid to hop. If you buy a park-hopper ticket, then you can park hop as long as both parks are open.

If you buy a one-day-one-park ticket and go into DCA first, no you can't ever go to DL that day.

Hopping is primarily dependent on what kind of ticket you have.

Adrienne

Diosabellissima
12-29-2005, 02:50 PM
I knew my question wouldn't be clear (d'oh!).

My question revolves around the fact that the parks have been reaching capacity. Let's say we go to DL first, get a hand stamp, and leave for lunch; but, when we return, the gates are closed for DL and we are sent over to DCA.

Now, even when DL's gates are closed, they will open a bit throughout the day as people leave. If this happens while we are at DCA (because, remember, we were sent over after lunch w/ our DL hand stamps because DL was at capacity), do we get to go back into DL or are we stuck at DCA?

I know, that's still confusing. I hope it makes better sense.

I've been to Disneyland every month of my life and never once have I experienced the park at capacity. This question just popped into my head.

The Mouse Is Back
12-29-2005, 02:52 PM
If you have a handstamp and your ticket for that day when you return to the Park, you will be allowed to re-enter.

-Allegra-

Diosabellissima
12-29-2005, 02:58 PM
You're sure of that? Hmm, well that might change things.

Our original plan was to go early, hang out for a few hours, go back to the hotel, nap, and head back to the park about 4 pm. We changed our plans to a non-stop day at the park because we were afraid we wouldn't be able to reenter- even with handstamps.

So, you can reenter with a handstamp? Even if they are at capacity? For some reason, I remember reading otherwise around here.

adriennek
12-29-2005, 03:05 PM
So, you can reenter with a handstamp? Even if they are at capacity? For some reason, I remember reading otherwise around here.

Actually, unless you're a guest of a Disney-owned hotel, you might not be allowed reentry. It depends on how crowded it gets.

If you want to make sure you can be inside Disneyland, don't leave once you get there. If you aren't a Disney-hotel guest, that's the only way to guarantee you'll be in DL if they close the gates.

I don't know what the answer is to your question about if they'll let you into DCA. My guess is that they won't, but, of course, I could be wrong.

Adrienne

The Mouse Is Back
12-29-2005, 03:35 PM
We were there on the 27th, and on the trams and outside the gates, this is what the CMs were announcing.

Ticket sales to DL, including new APs and renewals, had been suspended.

But I suppose it could vary from one day (or one CM) to the next.

BTW - we were there to meet friends for lunch at the Blue Bayou (which we ended up missing), and were able to purchase blockout tickets by explaining to the CM at the ticket booth what the situation was...in that case, I'm sure it could have been different depending on the particular CM.

All that, and we still missed lunch. WAAAAAAH!!! But we had a great table on the Plaza Inn patio for the fireworks.

-Allegra-

adriennek
12-29-2005, 03:52 PM
There's a certain 'pattern' they follow when they 'close the park'

I know I'm going to get part of it wrong or out of order, but here's a GENERAL idea...

First they stop selling tickets. But if you already have a ticket or an Annual Pass, you could still get in.

At some point they say that people with comp'd employee tickets/sign-ins can't get in.

Another level means that you can't get in if you haven't already gotten in for the day, but they'll let re-entries.

Another level means that only people staying at Disney-owned-hotels can have re-entry.

They'll keep track of how many people exit the park and when enough have exited, they may re-open the gates without reopening the ticket windows.

So if a person got in on Tuesday at noon after they stopped selling tickets but before they actually closed the gates, that doesn't mean that the same thing will happen on Friday at noon, if the park has reached a higher capacity by then. Does that make sense?

Adrienne

FantasmicFanatic
12-29-2005, 04:15 PM
Oh man, I hope this isn't on the midterm.

disneyperson
12-29-2005, 04:23 PM
If you are worried about getting back in, you might consider not leaving in the first place. There are lots of places you can sit ,rest, and relax for a while. Maybe spend an hour or so listening to the piano and people watching on Coca Cola Corner or listening to jazz in New Orleans.
Just my two cents, but if I thought I might not get back in, I'd arrive early and plan stay in the park until closing.

janell
12-29-2005, 04:34 PM
Its hard to say whats going to happen. But I thought I would share what happend years ago, that hasn't already been said.

About 7 years ago, we were staying at the DL hotel and where advised byCM that if we wanted to spend the evening in DL we should be in the park no later then and they gave us a time. Because even though we were staying at a Disney hotel, they could guarantee that we would get back into the park, once gates were closed, even though we spent the morning there. Now things may have changed, I am not sure. I now spend the evenings on NYE at DCA, so its never been a problem.

I would just say be in DL in the morning, I guess early from what I am readying and don't leave. When you need time to relaz, find a place and sit back. Peaople watching is fun.

Happy New Year everyone.:)

12-29-2005, 04:41 PM
when we return, the gates are closed for DL and we are sent over to DCA.

Wouldn't they just refuse you admission to DL? The DCA part seems like a big assumption.

twist1980
12-29-2005, 04:47 PM
Actually, unless you're a guest of a Disney-owned hotel, you might not be allowed reentry. It depends on how crowded it gets.

And you still aren't guaranteed re-entry if the park closes. We were at the DL hotel the week before Christmas break and the first Saturday and Sunday of Christmas break. The hotel employees that we talked to said that they could not guarantee that we would be able to get back in if we left and the park reached capacity. But then again, it might just depend on who you talk to.:rolleyes:

disneyhound
12-29-2005, 04:59 PM
To add one thing to Adrienne's gate closure summation, I was told that if you had paid for an extra, such as Fantasmic Balcony seats or a Tour, that you would be allowed entry even if the park was not letting other folks in. Otherwise they would have to refund those charges.

cstephens
12-29-2005, 05:19 PM
To add one thing to Adrienne's gate closure summation, I was told that if you had paid for an extra, such as Fantasmic Balcony seats or a Tour, that you would be allowed entry even if the park was not letting other folks in. Otherwise they would have to refund those charges.

I could swear that on one of the super busy days this year (May 5? July 17?), people were being told that even if you had tour tickets, you weren't guaranteed admission to the park, so they were recommending that you show up early.

Mox
12-29-2005, 05:24 PM
I could swear that on one of the super busy days this year (May 5? July 17?), people were being told that even if you had tour tickets, you weren't guaranteed admission to the park, so they were recommending that you show up early.You are correct. From the July 11th DL Update (http://www.mouseplanet.com/articles.php?art=dl050711xx) in regard to July 17th:

Once the gates close, even reservations inside the park (Blue Bayou, Club 33, Fantasmic seating, tours, etc.) inside the park are no guarantee of entry. If the gates do close, the sale of tickets will stop (though there is some talk that the ticket booths may not even open on the 17th) and nobody will be allowed into the park, regardless of whether they are trying to get in for the first time or to reenter after having been in earlier. Before leaving the park for any reason, confirm at the gate that they are still allowing people into the park.Like it says, the best thing to do is ask how re-entry is being handled before you leave the park.

-Mox

disneyhound
12-29-2005, 05:44 PM
I could swear that on one of the super busy days this year (May 5? July 17?), people were being told that even if you had tour tickets, you weren't guaranteed admission to the park, so they were recommending that you show up early.I suppose when the Fire Marshall closes the park, it's closed. But I would think if you are an "Extra Ticket" holder, you would get in up to the final closure.

mi_mous
12-29-2005, 09:58 PM
I could swear that on one of the super busy days this year (May 5? July 17?), people were being told that even if you had tour tickets, you weren't guaranteed admission to the park, so they were recommending that you show up early.

May 5th, surprisingly never reached capacity. I remember reading the news about it the next day.

evrythngwmn
12-30-2005, 02:51 AM
If you are worried about getting back in, you might consider not leaving in the first place. There are lots of places you can sit ,rest, and relax for a while. Maybe spend an hour or so listening to the piano and people watching on Coca Cola Corner or listening to jazz in New Orleans.
Just my two cents, but if I thought I might not get back in, I'd arrive early and plan stay in the park until closing.

I second what Disneyperson said. If you are worried about being allowed back in don't leave. You can find quiet spots at DL. The gallery patio is a good place to just sit and rest. A cruise around on the Mark Twain is good. There's also the little patio area behind the AAA kiosk near the West side tunnel entrance. Just some suggestions.