PDA

View Full Version : Is Disneyland Hotel worth the$$$?

tqk
03-26-2002, 12:00 PM
We are planning our first trip to Disneyland with 4 yr. old daughter and 6 mos. old son. We're thinking of staying at DLH so it will be close when it is nap time. Is it really worth the extra money?

Any other inside tips on which tower, rooms, floors to request. etc.

Planning on going end of Oct. How are the crowds? Weather?

Being our first time we want to do it right. All the help we can get will be great.

TQK

P.S. - Any websites out there that have pictures of the hotel?;)

mad4mky
03-26-2002, 12:07 PM
I have never stayed at The Disneyland Hotel...only The Grand Californian, so I cannot comment on the hotel itself.

But, late October is my favorite time to go to Disneyland. The weather is great, the crowds are low...
We even ususally wear shorts during that time...

Disneyland is beautiful during Christmas...but the weather is still better in October.

This is only my opinion though. I am sure you will hear others...

MouseWife
03-26-2002, 12:27 PM
Check out this site-

They have a travel section. Also, under archives I am sure there are things.

If you go to the Disneyland official page, they have the resorts there as well. Not too many pictures, I think Al's {I think it was Al} report on the Grand Californian had more pictures.

Other than that, summer will be pretty hot with the little ones. We have gone and then jettisoned back to the hotel to pump up the air conditioner or go swimming. When it is cooler {like mad4mky said, October or when we go in December} you can still go swimming.

Oh, during the week is the best as well. If possible.

I have read here that the DLH isn't so hot as far as 'being on site'. It is a long walk there and to me, a long walk from the Monorail. Still nice, though.

You can stay at a nice hotel nearby and use their shuttle. Almost easier. Just keep their schedule handy so that you don't miss one or end up waiting for one when you could be doing something else.

Most of all, take it easy and enjoy.

innerSpaceman
03-26-2002, 12:28 PM
IMHO, The Disneyland Hotel is not worth the money. If you are going to make use of the monorail to get to and from naptime, then it might be worth some extra bucks to you. Frankly though, the just fine, small hotels directly across from Disneyland on Harbor Blvd. are the shortest walk from the park for any hotels except for the Grand Cal (which is really pricey). I would even venture to say that the walk from Disneyland entrance to, for example, the Park Inn Int'l on Harbor is a shorter walk than the walk from the Disneyland Hotel monorail station to most rooms at the Disneyland Hotel. These hotels on Harbor generally run about 40% of the Disneyland Hotel room rates.

Dave Z
03-26-2002, 01:15 PM
DLH will cost you $100 more per night than the very adequate motels along Harbor. Park Place Inn is twice as close to the main gate as DLH is to the Monorail. Deals can be had at DLR hotels on Expedia.com (especially Oct and other low season times) as you get closer to the dates of travel.

If you want the Disney magic that you can get from the DLH (we have stayed there and loved it), the pools, grounds, close to Down Town Disney, etc, it's great.

Mouseplanet and Laughingplace.com both have lots of pictures of the hotels.

Have fun!

DZ

daannzzz
03-26-2002, 01:45 PM
If it is not a burden, dollar wise, than it is worth the money. We spent our first20 trips between 1965 and 1996 at small motels. In 1995 I spent $69 for the Desert Inn and Suits and I thought that was alot of money. After staying at The Carribean Beach Hotel at WDW we tried the Disneyland Hotel finally and absolutely loved it. Have since done Paradise Pier and Grand Californian but have also stayed at Candy Cane, Howard Johnson and other offsite motels. If it doesn't hurt the wallet I definately reccomend a stay at the Disneyland hotels.

MouseWife
03-26-2002, 04:35 PM
I would be remiss if I did not suggest your trying the Embassy Suites.

The two rooms will provide for a quiet nap with the others still being able to do things like watch t.v., use the bathroom, sneak off to the pool {oh man, we did that a lot, dad taking the bigger ones while I entertained the little guy}.

Microwave and fridge, right next door to Buca di Beppo's. Free made to order breakfast.

Shuttle drops you off right in front of hotel and the elevators are right inside the door. All of the matters when you are dragging yourself.

And I think the shuttle is every 1/2 hour. Check for specials and ask for AAA discount and what ever discount you can get!!!

03-26-2002, 05:05 PM
The Disneyland Hotel saves you a lot of wear and tear that's best spent on Disneyland itself.

It's not a fabulous hotel. It is expensive.

We stay there because we go very infrequently. It allows us to maximize our time in the park and minimize the frazzle.

tjrj
03-27-2002, 06:58 AM
I've stayed both on-site and off-site. It truly depends on what you are looking for in a hotel. As mentioned the hotels on harbor are actually much closer to DL than the 3 "official" hotels. There is no longer a shuttle to get you from DLH to the gates-it's quite a hike from your room to the gates-AND it can be quite a hike from the "front door" of the hotel to your rooms-ask for a room close to the elevator. Considering the ages of your little ones, I'm assuming that both will be in a stoller/s? Your 4 year old may consider him/her self "too big" for a stoller in the morning-think they(and you) will appreciate it later on in the day! Remember, can't take the Park strollers out the gates-so you may want to bring your own.

There are a lot of official hotel perks that have gone by the way side lately-package delivery, Early Entry(that's the biggest one IMO), etc. So unless you have a great rate, you are paying big bucks for the "privledge" of staying on-site.

That said, there's nothing quite like watching the Fantasy Waters show from your own balcony, getting a wake up call from Mickey, enjoying beautifully themed pools, and the koi ponds. But, the gardens, koi ponds and Fantasy Waters show are open to the public-so you don't have to stay on-site to enjoy those.

And, where ever you stay, check out the Grand Californian-awe inspiring hotel.

PS: we liked the rooms in the Bonita Tower-is it still called that? The one furthest from the pool-rooms are large, lots of storage, great view of the waterfall, and Fantasy Waters.

Sonya in Boise
03-27-2002, 07:21 AM
We booked a "Parlor Suite" at the desert Inn and Suites. We got a rate of 79.00 per night. It is the basic 2 queen bed hotel room, but has a living room section that is seperate from the sleeping sections. We will have a 3 year old and a 20 month old. I thought the seperate rooms would help with nap/bedtime. The couch pulls into a bed so the suite sleeps 6. My mother in law is going with us to help with the girls so I wanted somewhere that we could put the kids to bed and who ever was with them could watch tv or read. It is also walking distance from Disneyland so we can get back quickly for naps, meals, and just cranky times. (Some haves averaged the walk to 5-10 minutes.) I am toying with the idea of trying to get a "onsite" cheap hotel rate thru expedia when it gets closer....but I'm not sure I want to give up the extra room. I may save that for when the girls get bigger and we don't need the extra room. www.anaheimdesertinn.com I also recommend writing to Anaheim/Orange COunty Visitor Bureau; Box 4270: Anaheim, Ca 92803 and asking for the 2002 Visitors Guide. Lots of useful info.

daannzzz
03-27-2002, 02:06 PM
Sonya. I stayed at Desert Inn and Suites back in 1995 and liked it. Just a warning that the living room is VERY small. It essentially fits the pull out couch and a small table, a pathway from the door and the TV. It should do the trick but it is not ....impressive.

tjrj
03-28-2002, 06:35 AM
Some of the rooms at the Desert Inn can be really dark. If you like a lighter room-I do-be sure to ask for one.

Sonya in Boise
03-28-2002, 07:02 AM
Thanks for the extra info on the Desert Inn. I wasn't expecting much in regards to the "living room" area. Just wanted a place to watch tv and not wake the little ones. :rolleyes: I do like a bright sunny room, so I will make sure to ask for one. I think we will be spending more time in the room than in my childless go all day vacations of the past. I'm going to try to slow things down and not be concerned with seeing every ride. So again, thanks for the extra info on the room. ;)