PDA

View Full Version : I figured it out! DCA too flat

SifuJustin
12-29-2005, 10:03 AM
Personally, I like Disney’s California Adventure. It has a long way to go until I think it is close to being on par with Disneyland, but I like the park. But I really couldn’t put my finger on what make the park not have the same, “other world” feel of Disneyland (other than the obvious, i.e. ferris wheel, game booths, etc). The park is too flat. Other than around Grizzly Rapids, everything feels like it was built on an old parking lot. There is no real change in elevation (think NOS…river level rises up to NOS street level for example; or the hilling area of Story Book Land or Tom Sawyer Island) and obviously no berm (this was such a major mistake along the south border next to Katella in my opinion). To change that parking lot feel to a park feel, the Imagineers may want to consider working various elevations for the new park, like they did with the classic park.

Justin
Me

12-29-2005, 01:19 PM
It's too flat and too barren. More landscaping would go a long way to making DCA enjoyable.

spacemountain85
12-29-2005, 01:49 PM
Its flatness is why my Achilles tendons love DCA and despise the entire West side of Disneyland.

mi_mous
12-30-2005, 12:18 AM
It's too flat, until you're pushing a stroller with 2 heavy kids up that hill from the pier near screamin' to up where Ariels grotto is.
But, besides that, I totally agree with you!

SandraVB79
12-30-2005, 01:37 AM
It's too flat, until you're pushing a stroller with 2 heavy kids up that hill from the pier near screamin' to up where Ariels grotto is.
But, besides that, I totally agree with you!

LOL :D

RStar
12-30-2005, 05:47 AM
That has been one of the main complaints early on durring the construction of DCA. They figure it IS California, so who cares if you can see out side? It is one of the big problems, and a cost saving factor as well. Because they didn't plan to dig a bunch of water ways like they did for DL (The ROA being the main source) they had little soil to use for a burm. What little they did dig they used for the base of Grizzly Mountain and to raise the elevation of paradise Peir to hide Katella an make the peir more visable from around the park.

And that leads to the other problem with the "flatness" of the park. You see way too much of it at one time. Unlike DL where you turn a corner and you are in a whole different world, there is little surprise at DCA. No real fantasy escape. It's like visiting a whole set instead of seeing it through the eyes of a camera telling a story at the movies. Walt was good at telling stories, DCA was plopped down, with a note that says "OK, now use your imagination! You fill in the story!" because they were too cheep and lazy to tell us the story.

~Bob

12-30-2005, 05:52 AM
Walt was good at telling stories, DCA was plopped down, with a note that says "OK, now use your imagination! You fill in the story!" because they were too cheep and lazy to tell us the story.

I'd never thought of it that way before. Thanks, RSTar!

newhdplayer
12-30-2005, 07:52 AM
DCA was plopped down, with a note that says "OK, now use your imagination! You fill in the story!" because they were too cheep and lazy to tell us the story.

~Bob

You could just imagine hills and imaginative landscaping.

hbquikcomjamesl
12-30-2005, 10:13 AM
No; I think most of Epcot and MGM, and a goodly chunk of AK, are all more-or-less flat.

Come to think of it, except for the Berms, DL, WDW-MK, and probably the other Magic Kingdoms around the world are also pretty flat.

But it does perhaps need some more effective view-blocks. Though much of that will come, in time, as the trees grow.

Really, what's needed are more attractions, less retail, and fewer empty storefronts. Surely the Imagineers can come up with some sort of Steinbeck-themed ride or show for Pacific Wharf (it is, after all, based on Monterey, of the era Steinbeck immortalized), and some San Francisco-themed rides, shows, or exhibits to fill the empty storefronts in Bay Area.

lauramaynot
12-30-2005, 01:44 PM
That has been one of the main complaints early on durring the construction of DCA. They figure it IS California, so who cares if you can see out side?

I guess they wanted to bring in the stuck in traffic feel of the CA freeways! LOL! I agree elevation in the landscape would be great. Not only to break up the landscape but bring in a bit of nature. DCA seems barren in some spots...

RStar
12-30-2005, 09:32 PM
No; I think most of Epcot and MGM, and a goodly chunk of AK, are all more-or-less flat.

Come to think of it, except for the Berms, DL, WDW-MK, and probably the other Magic Kingdoms around the world are also pretty flat.

But it does perhaps need some more effective view-blocks. Though much of that will come, in time, as the trees grow.

Really, what's needed are more attractions, less retail, and fewer empty storefronts. Surely the Imagineers can come up with some sort of Steinbeck-themed ride or show for Pacific Wharf (it is, after all, based on Monterey, of the era Steinbeck immortalized), and some San Francisco-themed rides, shows, or exhibits to fill the empty storefronts in Bay Area.
The one thing Florida has that DCA doesn't is space. Enough land to add landscaping and with that and well placed buildings, areas can be seperated. But the main reason they are flat is that the were swamps, and used the soil from the waterways just to make them solid land a few feet above sea level. Also, they did find some sand in digging out the water ways, and Walt was real pleased to be able to make some beach areas!

With DCA they skimped on the landscaping. Thus it gets pretty hot on sunny days. And the few trees they put in are palms, because it is CA after all. We don't have trees here, only palms!

~Bob

RStar
12-30-2005, 09:34 PM
I'd never thought of it that way before. Thanks, RSTar!
You are very welcome Helen!

~Bob