PDA

View Full Version : Help with a Disneyland research project

brothman
12-28-2005, 09:14 AM
My name is Beth and I am a fourth year student at the University of California, San Diego. For my senior project, I am writing a research paper on Disneyland and looking at how Disney creates fantasy at the park. I have some questions about people's own perceptions of Disneyland that I really need some help answering. The questions are:
How many times have you been to Disneyland?
What do you like about Disneyland?
Why do you go?
What do you get out of it?

I really appreciate any help I could get! I am trying to see how people react to Disneyland. Thank you in advance!

:)

DisneyLynn
12-28-2005, 09:22 AM
How Many Times Have you been to Disneyland??? AT Least 50, I've lost count! I go about twice a month on average now and have for the last 3 years. Before that I only went about once a year.

What do you like about Disneyland? I love the rides, the shows, the parades, the characters, the ambiance, the flowers, the popcorn, the corndogs.

Why do you go? Because I love it!

What do you get out of it? I feel happy just walking through the front gates, it's a feeling that is very hard to describe, unless you truly love Disneyland. I also love being with my daughter, who is 4, and seeing her face light up watching the parade or when a princess waves at her or when we hop on a ride. It is a great experience going to Disneyland with a child this age.

12-28-2005, 09:28 AM

Honestly, I'm not sure. Probably about 20 times since 1966.

It's a national cultural treasure in private hands.

Why do you go?

See above answer.

See above answer.

twist1980
12-28-2005, 09:28 AM
How many times have you been to Disneyland? I'm not sure the exact number of times, but I've taken at least ten trips, each averaging 4-5 days at the parks.

What do you like about Disneyland? Feeling like I'm stepping out of the real world. As soon as you walk inside the gates, you are in a different world. Any real life problems are forgotten. It is such a happy atmosphere. I also really like all the wonderful snack foods!

Why do you go? It's fun!! To relax and enjoy quality entertainment. And most importantly, be a kid again! Where else can you get your face painted and wear silly ears and feel like you fit right in (well maybe an NFL game, but DL is more fun)?

What do you get out of it? A break from reality. Great memories. Quality time with friends or family (depending on who goes along with me).

TowerofTerror
12-28-2005, 09:32 AM
Ive gone over 150 times about 2 or 3 times a week since Ive had my annual pass May of 2003 before that once a year.
I go because I like the rides, shows, food, parades, flowers, and music
I get out of going the enjoyment of being some place away from work and no worries about my job or anything thing else

Terri
12-28-2005, 10:26 AM
I've been to Disneyland hundreds of times - literally. My first visit was December 1959 - I was a month old and parents took my Christmas Picture under the California flagpole (they use to have all the state flags at the entrance to Tomorrowland). It was a tradition in my family to take pictures at the flagpole for the state you were born - I was the first Californian in my family. I grew up in Anaheim and worked at the park in 1978. Even living in Alaska, I still try to go at least once a year.

The next three questions I roll into one big answer. You know the saying, "you can never go home" ? Well - it's true to the extent that everything changes. What was my home 20 years ago is a strange place today. But Disneyland - I can go there today and see my past come to life. I see my Dad (he passed away in 1967) I see my mom (she passed away in 2001) I see my son as a baby, I remember dating and wanting to date certain guys there, I remember taking my husband there for our first date, I remember the bicentenial parade - I remember my entire life when I cross under the bridge and walk onto main street. I'm a child again. The feeling is a mixture of past joys and new excitements. It's a ciclical emotion. It's home. Disneyland, for me, is so much more than an amusement park. It was a magical place when I was a child in the 60's. It was an escape from a lot of the realities of war and politics at the time. Disneyland was a place where you could forget the outside world and live in a fantasy. Walt is one of my heroes (as my father is) and the two are tied together in my heart.

I've instilled this into my son (he's 12) and he's looking forward to taking his kids and grandkids to the 100th anniversary. He says it's a tradition he can share with them. He will forever see me and my joy when he visits the park and with that vision, he can share his own memories. My parents, my childhood, my life will live on forever because of the passion I feel for Disneyland and the role it has played in my world.

A little gushy...I know, but it's how I feel.:D

brothman
12-30-2005, 03:40 PM
Thanks for all the responses! They are really great and have given me great insight into the park for my project.

disneyjunkie
12-30-2005, 10:11 PM
I have to chuckle since my daughter in 4th grade did a project on DL maybe it just goes to show that DL is timeless , ageless and crosses ethinic , and scholatic barriers.
How many times have I gone? I was born the year DL openned and have gone at least 2 xs a year so for the sake of averages I would say 100 times.
What do I like about DL? EVERYTHING, that berm is where I was and once again become the child within myself. Entering DL I think of nothing else but seeing a parade, going on a ride , nothing else in the weary world matters anymore.
Why do I go? It is my happy spot.
What do I get out of it? Memories of old my childhood , being a teen, taking my hubby also for the first time, taking my children for the first time, having my daughters wedding at the DL resort, and now enjoying it with my grandson, its creating new memories.I also can get total enjoyment there by myself I can become a kid again put on my ears and have picture taken with Eyeore.
Still think this is a cool project it emcompases human nature , marketing, childhood, old age its timeless.

AlbertaMinnie
12-31-2005, 06:02 AM
How many times have you been to Disneyland? 9 times - but would go more often if we lived closer....money and time is the issue.

What do you like about Disneyland? The whole ambiance (sp?) of the place. Mostly probably the cast members (the the most part they are so kind and helpful and happy) and the rides (they are sooo much more fun when they are based on a movie or characters) The attention to detail is also a huge factor....the colors are intense and everything is something.

Why do you go? I love to get away on any vacation, but DLR is my first pick everytime because I can escape everyday life. It's as though the moment you walk through the gates and under the tunnel, time stands still - the outside world just doesn't exist anymore and I go back to being a kid. We grew up dreaming about Prince Charming, princessess, and Mickey Mouse and DLR makes those dreams come true. I know that these people are not real but find myself being swept away in their magic while I am there.

What do you get out of it? I come away from DLR feeling very very refreshed. Not many people will say that, what with long lineups and people getting stressed over crowds. When I go, I just go with the flow. It's like they pump pure oxygen into the park.....I'm just happy there, no matter how crowded or how long the lineups. With all the CM's around you being so cheerful how could you not be? I guess you could say that DLR is my drug of choice!

I really appreciate any help I could get! I am trying to see how people react to Disneyland. Thank you in advance!

:)[/QUOTE]

disneyhound
12-31-2005, 06:12 AM
At least 25 times; used to live an hour away, now we are a plane flight away.

It is a unique experience that appeals to kids of all ages. I couldn't wait to take my DD to DL. We try to go once a year. I hope she keeps up the "DL Family Vacation" in the future when she has a family.

JookyG
01-01-2006, 11:33 AM

Probably around 30. At least once a year when my family lived in So. Cal. Once every 1-2 years now that I'm an adult living on my own.

I like that it's the biggest tract of "virtual reality" in the world. Not VR in the digital sense, but in that it's a completely controlled environment, where every element is designed to make you feel a certain way, see a certain thing, or experience a certain sensation. It's both frightening and awe-inspiring.

Ironically, it's also a great place to let your imagination run free. The virtual reality of the park is analog, not digital, so our brains have to fill in the gaps and cross that line into suspended disbelief. In the case of Disneyland, the environment is so rich that believing comes easy if you've got just a little imagination.

Why do you go?

To enjoy time with my loved ones in an environment that a) hearkens back to childhood and simpler times, b) is rich in sensory stimulation, and c) makes me feel like I am part of Uncle Walt's dream.

I feel like a kid again. I get to see and experience things that don't exist in the real world. When the first chords of the Electrical Parade play, I'm immediately taken back to a day in early childhood, sitting on my father's shoulders, waiting for the first floats to come into view. I get to see the real, genuine smiles and amazement on my friends' faces--reflections that I don't see often enough.

When was the last time you were amazed by something? Day-to-day in Seattle? It's been so long, it feels like the word is old-fashioned. But in Disneyland, it seems like there's something amazing around every corner. My first experience on Tower of Terror was this year, on a Saturday night. I came around the corner in the Hollywood area and there it was, all lit up in Twilight Zone horror--it's huge and impressive. The sky was clear, but I swear there was a flash of lightning and thunder. And as I watched the doors opened at the top on two of the elevator shafts, letting escape the screams of the guests. Amazing. Gave me a chill.

ILoveChurros
01-01-2006, 02:31 PM
Far too many times to count...I've had an AP since I was 11...I'm 20 now.
The escape from reality. It's fun to just be a kid in an environment that is friendly and clean. But most of all I love the fact that I can have fun with no worries.
Why do you go?
Because I live 10 minutes away and I have nothing else to do. And I love walking around the park
Fun, excercise, good stories, a natural high from the rides(Thunder and Indy)

Good luck with your project I hope this helps you!

Micki0624
01-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Hundreds of times, I don't need a map to find anything.
Disney puts so much thought into everything in the park. A ride is just not a ride and a land is not just a land. Disney immurses you in an experience in everything.
Why do you go?
I have grown up with it and I feel it is a part of me. I never have to look at a map for anything because I know DL.
Life long memories, being apart of American history, and I get to keep the "kid" in me.

SandraVB79
01-02-2006, 07:07 AM

4 times: 1998 - 2000 - 2002 - 2005. Planning to go back in 2006.
I would go more often if it was closer. Thank God (and Disney) that DLP is virtually in my backyard (aka 1.5 hours away by high speed train!, leaving Friday morning at 7.02 am for 3 days of Magic!)

Everyhting, but most of all: Fantasmic!, the parades, the shows and getting pictures with Mickey and Minnie Mouse. I also think they have the best ride in the world: Indiana Jones!

Why do you go?

Because I am a big child who wants pictures with Mickey and Minnie.
Because it's the only place where I can wear my ears without people thinking I am crazy; (note: even at DLP, people make fun out of me when I wear my eras :( )
Because I have a hell of a job, and when I get depressed, Disney-magic works just as well as Prozac or Xanax. (why do you think I booked my DLP-trip when I was hardly back from DL, and actually don't really have a budget for it? Oh well, I'll skip skiing this year!)

I feel happy and less depressed.
A huge VISA-bill because of too many souvenirs (will not happen at DLP... I already have all the things they sell, and they almost never change their merchandise-collection. Big mistake from their part!)