PDA

View Full Version : Fire at Grand Californian Hotel

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

BWthespian
12-28-2005, 04:04 AM
there was a fire in the grand californian hotel lobby, black smoke rising from the top of the hotel,2300 people evacuated, wow the footage of the doused tree is spooky.

simzac
12-28-2005, 04:06 AM
Just saw that on the news, didn't say which hotel it was, that's a shame

BWthespian
12-28-2005, 04:17 AM
grand californian

Donald Duck Fan68
12-28-2005, 04:39 AM
What time did that happen? I went through that lobby several times on Tuesday and didn't notice a thing...?

BWthespian
12-28-2005, 04:39 AM
3-3:30 this morning

Noah
12-28-2005, 05:16 AM
Part of news article:
"Christmas tree catches fire at Disneyland hotel
Associated Press

ANAHEIM, Calif. - A 35-foot Christmas tree caught fire in the lobby of the Disneyland Grand Californian Hotel early Wednesday but nobody suffered serious injuries, a fire official said.

The hotel's sprinkler system kept the 3 a.m. blaze in check and firefighters were able to quickly put it out, said Maria Sabol, a spokeswoman for the Anaheim Fire Department....."

For full article:
http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/local/states/california/northern_california/13500420.htm

audibleatom
12-28-2005, 06:07 AM
wow i thought that only happend in private homes where people don't pay attention to wiring and such, but in a hotel where they have real electricians you would think that would not happen.

disneyhound
12-28-2005, 06:07 AM
After reading the Article ^, looks like a couple of pending lawsuits, back injury and panic attack...

pisces
12-28-2005, 06:38 AM
Got in late yesterday. GCH upgraded me to the 6th floor and a park view....of sorts. I don't think it's exactly concierge, although I've snuck into the Craftsman Lounge a couple of times.

The fire was interesting. They evacuated 2000 people, me among them, at 3:00 am in the morning. That's always fun......not! Keep in mind the hotel is all sold out. What do you do with 2000 people at 3:00 am.? .... some in their bathrobes, some not even in that much!

I got fully dressed, of course, and grabbed a heavy coat, before I evacuated. Blaring/deafening alarm or not, I was not going to leave that room without trying to look, if not my best, at least decent.

After mulling around in the cold, outside, they finally herded everyone into the GC convention center/Ballroom. Well, I'm not cattle, so I made a different decision. I hiked over to the Disneyland Hotel lobby and planted myself there for 3 hours and listened to their Christmas music and lovely tree.

Finally allowed us back up to our rooms at 6:30 am. Will we be reimbursed for the inconvenience. This is a $400.00 a night (the cheapest holiday rate) hotel. And, being woken up out of a sound sleep at 3:00 am is, well, quite something. We'll see what sort of remuneration they give.

What upsets me the most? The beautiful tree is gone from the GCH lobby, and they are saying they will never have one there again! I barely got a chance to see it as, again, I got in late yesterday and didn't have time to do all the gazing I wanted. I hope some of you have pictures , because it may be the last time you'll ever see a GC Christmas tree!

....to be continued!

P.S. Yes, the Park was closed off yesterday, and they think it will be closed off to new arrivals everyday this week ! 'Cept for hotel guests hehehe !!!!!

scaeagles
12-28-2005, 07:04 AM
I have to say a couple thing concern me in your post, Pisces.

With a fire alarm blaring, not knowing how extensive what was going on was, you took the time to get dressed? Glad it wasn't more severe. Grab a coat, sure. Your life isn't worth "looking decent."

Secondly, I don't they should ever have a tree there again. Can you imagine the liability if they had another that caught on fire? Perhaps a nice looking artificial tree? Or was it artificial already?

But yes, I do agree that some sort of compensation should be in order. At least that night should be removed from the bill. Perhaps more - I'm sure a bit of the ambience will be spoiled the next few days during clean up of the water and smoke damage.

Maus
12-28-2005, 07:10 AM
Yes, it was an artificial tree.

And I don't understand why they would say they will never have a tree there again. Is there something in the lobby that would cause a tree to catch on fire? If so, we probably shouldn't hang out there. :rolleyes:

Darkbeer
12-28-2005, 07:15 AM
I am currently at the Top Brass Bar over at the DLH, uploading photos.

KTLA-TV has reported that it was an Electricial Fire.

The Front Desk is up and running. There are some ropes around the majority of the Lobby, but it is pretty much cleaned up. I presume by sometime this afternoon, it will be back to normal.

Here is the link to the photos...

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1074403

TowerofTerror
12-28-2005, 07:48 AM
wow it stink I wonder how much they reimburse the guest for the inconvenience.

Darkbeer
12-28-2005, 07:52 AM
wow it stink I wonder how much they reimburse the guest for the inconvenience.

That is what insurance is for....

Osky
12-28-2005, 08:24 AM
I think it is a little premature to say that they will never have another tree in there again. They could put a tree there next year and decorate it with garland and ornaments, but leave off the lights. It could be illuminated with external spot lights. They could also use low-power LED lights, each with a little watch battery that would keep it blinking for months. There are many things they can do to make it safe without calling it quits. I can only imagine the customer service calls if they have no tree and no Santa at the GCH next year...

lisap
12-28-2005, 08:57 AM
Very glad no one was hurt.

The GC tree is my favorite one in the resort--it would be very sad if they decided not to install a tree there next year. :crying: This sounds like a freak accident--there are tons of malls and hotels with large, artificial, lighted trees.

I was at the Marriott in November when an arsonist was roaming around the floors setting little fires. We were called out of our room at 1:30am and left with nothing but what we were wearing and our purses (and shoes.) We had no idea where the fire was and didn't want to wait around to find out. Turns out one the fires was in the stairwell on the floor below us.

We sat outside on the grass and in the lobby for a few hours. The Marriott ended up comping our whole weekend stay, and gave all the guests a tray with snacks, drinks and an apology note. They handled it exactly right--I think all the guests were satisfied and those we talked to said they would definitely come back to Marriott.

Of course this GC fire is a different situation--the Marriott couldn't help that an idiot was running around setting fires. Hopefully the GC will not be found guilty of any negligence.

Opus1guy
12-28-2005, 09:18 AM
You know, when I was there last week there was one "section" of the tree that the lights were not working. It was the second from the top. It was fairly noticeable because there was like this 1-2 foot section (or ring) that was just dark, and I figured they already knew about it. But still I reported it at the Front Desk and got a "Thanks. We'll notify Decorating, if they aren't aware of it already."

Kinda makes me wonder if it wasn't this same section that might have sparked something. A loose plug arcing or something.

Guess I better report this to the Fire Department just in case it's something that might help them or confirm something they already suspect from their investigation. It's probably not related, but you never know.

Based on Darkbeer's photos, I'm guessing water damage from controlling the fire is going to be higher than any physical damage done by the fire itself.

TahoeBob
12-28-2005, 09:29 AM
and they are saying they will never have one there again! I barely got a chance to see it as, again, I got in late yesterday and didn't have time to do all the gazing I wanted. I hope some of you have pictures , because it may be the last time you'll ever see a GC Christmas tree!

I am glad you and everyone there are OK.

the part about.

"they are saying they will never have one there again"
I believe you when say you heard that. I do not believe the person that said it. The only people who can make that type of statement probally were not even there at the time and if there were, any smart manager would not say it at that time.

sunfun94
12-28-2005, 10:07 AM
You know, when I was there last week there was one "section" of the tree that the lights were not working. It was the second from the top. It was fairly noticeable because there was like this 1-2 foot section (or ring) that was just dark, and I figured they already knew about it. But still I reported it at the Front Desk and got a "Thanks. We'll notify Decorating, if they aren't aware of it already."

Kinda makes me wonder if it wasn't this same section that might have sparked something. A loose plug arcing or something.

As reported, or thought to have been.. the CM's were replacing a string of lights that were out. Lights that go out happens.
Honestly, it could have happened to any one company but because it was Disney, they are automatically at fault with electricians that dont know what they are doing?
So lets tell the AFD everytime some one has a string of lights out and see what happens. Being skeptical about the situation doesnt help but turn a rumor mill. Lets all just be happy that no one was seriously hurt in the situation.
It was jokingly told to me just a few days ago by a fire inspector none the less, that when the FD say that its "electrical" they normally dont have any idea yet as to the actual cause of the fire. :) Though I dont think that that is necessarily true...given that it was a tree, it had electrical stuff on it..you do the math... :)

TikiGeek
12-28-2005, 10:30 AM
But still I reported it at the Front Desk and got a "Thanks. .....Based on Darkbeer's photos, I'm guessing water damage from controlling the fire is going to be higher than any physical damage done by the fire itself.Great!!! Nice going!!! I blame Opie1 - It's always the busybody that "complains" - "hey! You got lights out! This is Disneyland, fix it! :D

But seriously, I agree - damage will be from the water - On the news I saw the sprinklers pouring down on the beautiful inlaid wood floors - that's a darn shame. :(

Disney Vault
12-28-2005, 10:33 AM
I didn't know fake trees could catch on fire. Is it only certain brands then? And I am glad everyone is okay.

ToursbabeC3po
12-28-2005, 11:31 AM
A friend of mine sent me this picture.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c359/katmeow22/122805_200xmasTreeFire.jpg

Zigen
12-28-2005, 11:40 AM
A friend of mine sent me this picture.
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c359/katmeow22/122805_200xmasTreeFire.jpg

Looks like the top burned... where the other poster mentioned the lights were out.

tod
12-28-2005, 12:39 PM
You don't suppose they'll have a fire sale on room rates?

--t

Maus
12-28-2005, 12:40 PM
The 12 p.m. television newscast reported that all guests would be compensated one night's lodging.

From the video shown it looks like everything worked as it should and the overhead sprinklers put out the fire. The fire department then doused the tree (and the lobby). It could have been much worse and, thankfully, was not.