PDA

View Full Version : Matterhorn model

TerryTiger
03-25-2002, 09:44 PM
I am building a garden railroad in my backyard around a pond and I have a spot where I had a small waterfall feeding a stream leading to the pond. Now that I've dismantled the waterfall to grade for the railroad, I would like to replace it with a small scale model of the Matterhorn (maybe 3-4 ft. high and same in diameter). Does anyone on here know of any figerglass or plastic models available? Or have plans or know how to go about building a model (presumedly of concrete)? I don't know where to start so I'm open to suggestions if any of you can offer anything? Perhaps LostBoy?

Nigel2
03-25-2002, 09:49 PM
Odds are there are no models of the mountain (especially the Disneyland version) avlible but if you are a good sculptor you could do it.

Not Afraid
03-25-2002, 10:05 PM
If I were to build a model of the Matterhorn for outdoor use, I would use a high-fire clay. This would provide you with an end-product that could withstand the elements.

You would have to hand build it around a hollow core so it could be fired. The best place I know of to do this locally is at the Irvine Fine Arts Center. They have an open studio program that allows people to come in and use the equipped studios for a minimal cost. It is City operated, but you don't need to be a resident to utilize the facilities.

Nigel2
03-25-2002, 10:25 PM
Or if that isn't your thing you could try to make one out of clay and then use a latex product that uses a chemical to cure it then use a lighter medium than clay. (cement might work if you have a structure underneath)