PDA

View Full Version : OK, who uses Disney Dollars for their DLR trips and why?

babytmakes5
12-26-2005, 03:28 PM
We are planning a trip to DLR next spring, and I want to plan in advance how to pay for meals and souvenirs while we are there. Even though we are splurging and staying at the GC this time, I want to stick to a spending budget as much as possible. Is there an advantage to buying the Disney Dollars I've heard mentioned on this board? Do you get a price break or anything? Any opinions? TIA

Trina

annieb727
12-26-2005, 03:32 PM
we have used them when we wanted to set aside money for disney, but wanted to make sure we didn't spend it elsewhere before we wend (we have trouble saving money sometimes), so that worked really well for us.

also, it's fun for kiddos to have them too -- they can get them (or better yet EARN them) for their upcoming trip to DL for their own spending money.

12-26-2005, 04:21 PM
Great thread, babymakes5!

I've never used Disney Dollars and, quite frankly, never got why anyone would. So I think this thread will educate me.

ima_mickeyfan
12-26-2005, 04:41 PM
We use disney dollars when we go.. it's dollar for dollar so no break there! We mostly use them for the kids so they can buy their own souvies and such..also helps them to budget. each child gets a limit so when it's gone, it's gone..it's a good idea to give them as gifts also to help them save, but it's hard getting the money outside of the parks unless you have a disney store near by, which we dont.

hlbtimes2
12-26-2005, 04:58 PM
We dont typically buy them, but usually have some to take with us. This last trip they were from dd's birthday. My mom got them for her knowing we were going a couple mnths later. The trip before that they were from dh's work. He got them from his boss for something, dont remember what.

Wendi
12-26-2005, 08:50 PM
I buy them if I run out of cash and don't want to pay an ATM fee. I like to have cash for small purchases, ODV carts, etc. and also for dining with friends, etc. when we're splitting the bill. It's easier to have cash for that kind of thing.

MammaSilva
12-26-2005, 08:56 PM
I love disney dollars! I use them to 'save' for our trips... we just spent several days at the resort and I had roughly 1,000 in disney dollars that I had purchased over the last several months. We used them to buy meals, shop for 'stuff' pay for odv stuff, they are accepted just like cash all over the resort and at WoD, I don't know about the stores and restaruants in Downtown Disney, but I know I walk into our Disney store, buy the Disney Dollars and just throw them in our 'vacation drawer' and they're good to go, can't spend them on anything else so it's a great saving device for us.

At the parks, if you carry cash and run low but don't want to give your bank (and the atm machines) the use fees, you can go into any of the stores or city hall and use your debit visa (or any credit card) to purchase disney dollars without fees, spend them like cash and save that few bucks you'd spend on the fees!

The $1.00 disney dollars make great keepsakes as well. I kept 2 from this last trip to put in my scrapbook since it was such a memorable trip and they are from the 50th collection and dated 2005!

Donald Duck Fan68
12-26-2005, 10:17 PM
We're using Disney $'s for our kids' spending money. It adds a little more "magic" to their experience by having money that has Disney characters on it and that they can use for whatever they want.

pretty Omi
12-27-2005, 02:03 AM
i think they're fun for kids, my cousins enjoyed using them on their trip... and being a passholder, when reletives get me gifts (birthday, christmas) i ask for them... since they can get them at the disney stores where they live and that way i'll only spend it at the park.. usually on art pieces

AlbertaMinnie
12-27-2005, 07:00 AM
When we can get them, we give them to the kids for birthdays etc. That way they will spend their $20.00 in DL for something that they would otherwise be bugging us for (and I may not agree to it!) Otherwise, they would surely have that $20.00 blown on candy at the corner store by the time we leave for our trip! It helps them and me at the same time!

Leash81
12-27-2005, 08:08 AM
I buy them if I run out of cash and don't want to pay an ATM fee. I like to have cash for small purchases, ODV carts, etc. and also for dining with friends, etc. when we're splitting the bill. It's easier to have cash for that kind of thing.

I do the same thing. Also we will be going to WDW for our honeymoon next year and since some people don't like giving cash for wedding presents she will suggest Disney Dollars to people when they ask what to get. I also plan on converting some of the money I save for the trip into Disney Dollars so I am not tempted to spend it on other things.

charpaul
12-27-2005, 12:33 PM

This is an excellent way to use them!!!

When my Brother and his family started planning a trip to DL last year I started giving Disney Dollars to my nephews and niece as Birthday - Valentines - Easter - etc... gifts. When they got to DL in July they each had some money that they could spend here in the park on what they wanted. They HAD to save it for their trip because they could not spend it at home. A little controlling perhaps but they did have fun spending it. I bought back any Disney Dollars at the end if they had any left over.:D

I also get them for friends that I know do/will go to Disney. I slip them into a card instead of money or a regular gift card (that you can also get at DLR now BTW). They can use them however they want at the park.

My school's PTO GROUP gave me a gift of Disney Dollars last year as the most active/supportive teacher. They chose Disney Dollars for me because they know I am addicted to the place. It was a wonderful surprise to someone who goes to the park a lot. ;)

tinksmommy
12-27-2005, 08:26 PM
does anyone know if the Disney Store sells the $1? I made a big error on our last trip - we were in a hurry with too many shopping things to do and not enough time to do it in before having to be at the hotel for the shuttle. I gave DH the envelope with the Disney Dollars in it, forgetting to take out the souveneir $1 I always keep from every trip. We didn't realize the mistake until after we got home and our Disney Store is close enough to get them at, but ever since Childrens Place took over, the staff in there just isn't as fun to "stop by and visit".

asharpcook
12-30-2005, 12:21 AM
We get Disney Dollars from the Disney store here. My kids would earn their money, and after their tithing and savings we would go to the Disney store and convert the amount they wanted to have for DL into Disney Dollars. It worked great. No hassels when shopping..when their dollars were gone, they were done. It really helped them decide what was important for them to get while at DL. And my credit card wasn't needing C.P.R. by the end of the trip. My eldest DS saved his (He was 17 at the time....sounds silly- but worked!) and used them to convert his 5 day Flex passport into an AP.
AS

geoffa
12-30-2005, 04:37 AM
We are planning a trip to DLR next spring, and I want to plan in advance how to pay for meals and souvenirs while we are there. Even though we are splurging and staying at the GC this time, I want to stick to a spending budget as much as possible. Is there an advantage to buying the Disney Dollars I've heard mentioned on this board? Do you get a price break or anything? Any opinions? TIA

Trina

Like, this thread hasn't come up countless times before.
Disney dollars are a great way for kids to save but from an adult view I can't see the point unless you want to keep one as a souvenir. Its not as if you get any priviledge or discounts by using them. As I said, great for kids from an amusement factor point of view but for me there is good old plastic!:)

12-30-2005, 05:41 AM
Its not as if you get any priviledge or discounts by using them. As I said, great for kids from an amusement factor point of view but for me there is good old plastic!

That's exactly what I keep coming back to, geoffa. Why wouldn't I just use my credit card which gives me incentives like cash back or airline miles?

Camthalio
12-30-2005, 06:31 AM
I gave some Disney Dollars to my girlfriend for a birthday present. We were at the park at her birthday and so she buyed whatever she would like to. It was much funnier than giving her real Dollars and I even took one note back home as a souvenir.

stan4d_steph
12-30-2005, 06:41 AM
They're a bit like traveler's checks that are only good at Disney. For those who are trying to avoid running up their credit cards, it's a way to pay with "cash." Like mammasilva said, you can spread out the purchase throughout the year and save them up that way. You can also purchase them with a debit card to avoid ATM fees at the park if you don't want to have a large amount of cash with you as you travel to DL.

davnat
12-30-2005, 07:07 AM
On our last trip we used them and it helped us stay on a budget. We took out $500 in disney dollars (saving on fees was great) and once the dd's were gone we knew how much money we had spent. We aren't very good about keeping track on our credit card and seem to always go over budget. Plus there are places at disney that only take cash, like the carts.

rentayenta
12-30-2005, 07:53 AM
The $1.00 disney dollars make great keepsakes as well. I kept 2 from this last trip to put in my scrapbook since it was such a memorable trip and they are from the 50th collection and dated 2005!

In addition to keepsakes, the Tooth Fairy, in our house, gives a Disney Dollar along with a real dollar for all lost teeth. ;)

I like to use Disney Dollars too. It's like using pretend money in a fantasy world. Must be the kid in me.

cstephens
12-30-2005, 10:04 AM
That's exactly what I keep coming back to, geoffa. Why wouldn't I just use my credit card which gives me incentives like cash back or airline miles?

Because not all locations take credit cards. ODV certainly doesn't. Or maybe you're purchasing a small enough amount (say less than $5 or $10) that it's too much hassle to use the credit card. I can buy the Disney Dollars on my rewards visa and get credit for the purchase and then turn around and use the Disney Dollars to buy things at ODV or otherwise. That's why we use Disney Dollars.

mypupmickey
12-30-2005, 12:20 PM
I thought of another reason DD's might be great for adults. Can you use them to purchase an AP? If yes, it would certainly help me to buy DD's throughout the year at the Disney Store, whenever I'm at the mall, then buying the AP wouldn't seem like such a bit HIT!

I like the idea of having them for budgeting too, not just for kids. I spend less if I have a limit than with the ole credit card! :D

MommyTo3Boys1Girl
12-30-2005, 01:20 PM
I get them for the kids. They think they are a lot of fun, to pay with money like that.

12-30-2005, 01:27 PM
I can buy the Disney Dollars on my rewards visa and get credit for the purchase and then turn around and use the Disney Dollars to buy things at ODV or otherwise. That's why we use Disney Dollars.

Okay, now that makes sense to me. Thanks, cstephens.