PDA

View Full Version : best way to pay for things at the park

Duchess mermaid
12-25-2005, 07:22 PM
I've only been to DL once. And i can't remember how we went about paying for things in the park. Is only cash accepted for lets say picking up an icecream? I'm a purse person and never go anywhere without one, But i don't want to bring one in the park. I'm want to bring as little as possible. Would an Atm card and a little cash be the safest way to go? Do the restuarants take visa? please help.

ferliemom
12-25-2005, 07:27 PM
Hi,

When I go, I usually only take about $20. I think you can put nearly everything on your credit card. :)
Have Fun!

potzbie
12-25-2005, 07:45 PM
Credit cards will be usable for restaurants.
(Of course, the retail stores will take credit cards.)

Cash will be necessary for outdoor vending carts.

So, that strikes me as a good rule of thumb:
If there is electricity at the food unit, then credit cards will be accepted.
Else, cash only.

That means CHURROS and ICE CREAM BARS and POPCORN will be cash only.

Ordering from a window, where a kitchen is preparing the food, means that credit cards should be accepted.

Duchess mermaid
12-25-2005, 08:24 PM
Thanks that was very helpful. :)

Wanda Woman
12-25-2005, 09:13 PM
I was at Dland/DCA during the first week of December with my son. Our last day there, which was Friday, was our shopping day. I put our numerous purchases on my Disney VISA card. I probably rang up a dozen transactions at various places in both parks that day.

On the drive home, I stopped to get gas. I put my Disney VISA card in the "pay at the pump" machine and I got a message to see the attendant. I figured the machine wasn't working. Fine, I went inside and gave my Disney VISA card to the attendant. He came out a minute later and said my card had been DENIED. DENIED???? I have STERLING credit. I know I wasn't anywhere near the card limit. Fortunately, I had enough cash on me to gas up. I also had a Mastercard buried in my suitcase in the trunk, but it would have been a real pain to get to it.

I got home and there was a message on my answering machine from the Disney VISA people saying my card may have been used fraudulently and I needed to call them right away.

I called and the Disney VISA person said my account had been closed because they noticed there was a charge for a company based in Florida. They knew I lived in California, so they thought this was suspicious and they cut off the card. I asked what the Florida company’s name was.

"The Walt Disney Company."

"Uhhhhhhhhhh. Yes. I've been at Disneyland for the past six days, as you can tell by the activity on the card."

"Yes, well, this company is based in Florida."

"Yes, I was at Disneyland. Using my Disney VISA. Disney is based in Florida."

"We found the Florida activity suspicious."

"I WAS AT DISNEYLAND!!! Using my Disney VISA!!!!"

"Would you like your account reinstated?"

*sigh* “Don't bother."

Soooooo, if you use a Disney VISA card at Disneyland, make sure you have another credit card with you or plenty of cash. Also, I guess you shouldn't ever travel out of state or make any Internet purchases with it.

:rolleyes:

MammaSilva
12-25-2005, 09:30 PM
I had nightmares of my card being declined for 'suspicious" activity on my last trip to the park because I knew we were going to the Club and that type of 'expenditure' isn't normal activity for my account. To the point I went and got cash and took it with me, I didn't carry it the entire time but I did to the Club that night. In general I go buy Disney dollars at my local Disney store for the cash purchases (ODV carts and the like) and use my debit visa for everything else, but I always have enough cash tucked in my stash to pay our way "home" for that odd case where the bank decided to protect me!

Crazy4DL
12-26-2005, 01:23 AM
I had my Disney Visa suspended right after our last trip to Disneyland. Luckily I was home before I even realized it. When I called they said they had suspended it because we had made a larger purchases. ($400 leather DL coat for my husband) along with a lot of other activity. (heehee) Anyway, the person told me to be sure to call in advance and let them know we would be out of town and planned on using our card next trip that way they could make a note.

I always travel with several credit cards, my debit card and a bit of cash . . . "just in case". I am a bit of a worrier when it comes to those things. Getting stranded is not my idea of fun . . . but hey wait, I have always wanted to live in the castle. :p ;)

Opus1guy
12-26-2005, 09:01 AM
best way to pay for things at the park

Someone else's money.

;)

donaldquackers
12-26-2005, 12:53 PM
I agree that it is best to have a few different ways to pay. In 2001 we pre paid (3 months in advance) with a group of over 200 people for our hotel. We arrived a day before everybody else. The hotel said they hadn't been paid yet. We had no choice but to pay again. It maxed out our one credit card, as the hotel charged us for 5 nights. That left us strapped for the week, we quickly went through the cash we had and relied on another credit card to get by. I tried to cash a check at several places around town but no one would take an out of town check. I even tried 2 banks. It left us kind of bummed out for the trip and we had to be careful where we ate etc to make it through. Now I've learned that you can cash a check right in Disneyland. Wish I had known, as it would have saved us. A week after we got home the hotel credited us back our money but it had still ruined the trip.

PapiBear
12-26-2005, 02:16 PM
If you bring two large suitcases full of cash (preferably in 20s and 50s), that should be sufficient for all your expenses.

sjcivilady
12-26-2005, 03:11 PM
thanks for the heads up on going out of town - I'm planning on taking a cruise next summer - and I use my disney visa for everything, so I'll call ahead and make sure they are warned.