PDA

View Full Version : Why go Christmas day?

evrythngwmn
12-25-2005, 09:18 AM
This question popped into my head this morning as I was watching the droves of people enter the park. Why do you go to Disneyland on Christmas day? Not so much at Christmastime but specifically, Christmas day.

olegc
12-25-2005, 09:53 AM
This question popped into my head this morning as I was watching the droves of people enter the park. Why do you go to Disneyland on Christmas day? Not so much at Christmastime but specifically, Christmas day.

well, when we were kids my folks were convinced that we should go on Christmas day because we were sitting around the house doing nothing - but that no one else would be at the park because it was Christmas day.

Oops!

My guess is that now - Disneyland's magic is extra special on Christmas Day!

TowerofTerror
12-25-2005, 10:35 AM
Well People go to Disneyland on Christmas since it a great place to spend time with the whole family.

Monte Cristo
12-25-2005, 12:53 PM
People go to DL on Christmas day for the same reason they go to NY Times Square on New Year's Eve - it's an event. Yes, it's far too crowded and yes the lines are insane but so what? I doubt anyone there on Christmas day is there just for the rides. It's probably more about atmosphere than anything else.

Plus, keep in mind lots of families can only get away when their kids are out of school so this may be the only week they can go, crowded or not.

potzbie
12-25-2005, 08:12 PM
I went today (25th) because it is a way of combining two feelings: "the happiest place on earth", and the pinnacle of the Christmas season.
What better to celebrate the "season" of Christmas than at the most joyous place on earth?

And the crowds before noon were fine. (Lines at 2:00 p.m. were longer than I liked.)

And MousePlanet's tip off for the soft opening of MONSTERS INC was too good to resist. (And MONSTERS INC was so good I went on twice.

And the MousePlanet's tip off about the NARNIA ice witch inside Sleeping Beauty's Castle was very tempting to my curiosity.

And I wanted to see the "gold team" of BILLY HILL AND THE HILLBILLIES.

evrythngwmn
12-26-2005, 09:08 AM
Interesting responses. Just something that I guess never occurred to my family. We've been doing pretty much the same at home thing for just about my entire life. I'm also obviously not alone because a lot of non-Disney type people I talked to this week we surprised that Disneyland is open Christmas day. My response was something like, "Yes unless there is a disaster Disneyland is open everyday."

Susan L
12-26-2005, 09:45 AM

Why not?

MermaidHair
12-26-2005, 11:57 AM
My family celebrates Christmas but it occured to me that if Christmas was not my holiday Disneyland might be a fun thing to do on the 25th. I know that a lot of my Jewish friends have family traditions that they all go to the movies together on the 25th.

sjcivilady
12-26-2005, 03:05 PM
Months ago, one of my co-workers told me they were spending their family vacation at Disneyland over Christmas. She was so excited about it, I didn't want to burst her bubble (I think it was the only time they can take their vacation every year for some reason). Then in the weeks prior to, I tried to gently warn her how crowded it would be and emailing her the article Mouseplanet ran about dealing with the crowds. I think she was prepared for it, so I'm anxious to hear how their trip was when she gets back to work. As for me, the bad crowds totally ruin any magic for me; so I will never go when traditional school is out if I can help it (but then I don't have any kids either).

adriennek
12-26-2005, 04:06 PM
This year my little family was on our own for Christmas Eve for the first time in my life. It made me think about what holidays would be like if we didn't live so close to our families. I could see that if it was just my family and the kids were a little older, we might like to go to Disneyland for part of the day to have a special event tied to the day.

But because of the crowds, I probably wouldn't ;)

Adrienne

JeffG
12-26-2005, 10:09 PM
When I was growing up, my family always had a tradition of going out and doing something together on Christmas Day. We moved around quite a bit and never lived anywhere that we had a lot of family that were local, so it just always seemed like kind of a special way to spend the holiday. Generally, we celebrated the religious significance of the holiday by attending a candlelight service on Christmas Eve and then were very focused on spending time together on Christmas Day. We also usually did the big turkey dinner at home on Thanksgiving and preferred to avoid going through all the hard work involved with a major meal like that on Christmas.

During the few years that my family lived near Orlando, Walt Disney World actually was our Christmas tradition. Typically, we would get up very early in the morning, open all our presents, then head out to the park late morning. This was back in the early 70s (within the first few years WDW was opened) and I don't recall the park being exceptionally crowded on Christmas back then the way the Disney parks all are now.

Now that I'm an adult with a family of my own, we still don't have local relatives and, consequently, still follow a pretty similar tradition. Until the last couple years, we did typically go down to Disneyland for one of the big brunch buffets and then would often go into the park for a while. We found the buffets to be declining in quality, though, the last couple times we went and now that we have a small child we also are less enthusiastic about the fairly long drive (we live about an hour away) and huge crowds. The last couple years we have ended up going to a buffet at the Universal Hilton and have found that to be a pretty good choice for us.

-Jeff

SandraVB79
12-27-2005, 06:24 AM
Why would you not go to Diseyland on Christmas day? Not everyone is into Christmas, or into celebrating Christmas at home with the family or so. I would LOVE to spend Christmas eve or New Year's eve at DLP, but everytime I see the costprice of the dinner shows, I say: that'll be for next year (especially since I would like to do a Christmas/ New Year lunch too, and those are also espensive)

As for the crowds: I went once when there was about no one at the parks, everything was walk on. Well, that wasn't fun either, because I missed that feeling of "we are all enjoying the happiest place on earth together".

tod
12-28-2005, 12:43 PM
This question popped into my head this morning as I was watching the droves of people enter the park. Why do you go to Disneyland on Christmas day?

Because we had reservations at the Blue Bayou, and that's where the Blue Bayou is.

--t