PDA

View Full Version : Dumbo question

mi_mous
12-23-2005, 11:08 PM
I have a friend who refuses to do on Dumbo.
She claims that one of them broke off, and flew a ways with the people in it.
Did anything like this happen, either at Disneyland or WDW?
I have looked all over for any Dumbo happenings, but I can't find anything. I can only find other accidents that have happened to other rides.
I just want to put her mind at ease over the whole thing, perhaps so she will go on it with me??:)

TowerofTerror
12-23-2005, 11:11 PM
Nope this is not true at all.

Andrew
12-23-2005, 11:16 PM
She claims that one of them broke off, and flew a ways with the people in it.
Did anything like this happen, either at Disneyland or WDW?
I have looked all over for any Dumbo happenings, but I can't find anything. I can only find other accidents that have happened to other rides.
I just want to put her mind at ease over the whole thing, perhaps so she will go on it with me??:)
I can find no evidence online of any accident on any Disney Dumbo attraction. www.rideaccidents.com is a pretty good resource, though you have to use Google to search the site as they have no search function. For example:
Dumbo site:rideaccidents.com (http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=dumbo+site:rideaccidents.com&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8)

I'm sure there would be some mention somewhere if the attraction had this kind of catastrophic mechanical failure.

Wesley815
12-24-2005, 01:17 AM
She claims that one of them broke off, and flew a ways with the people in it......but let met guess, she'll still get in a car and drive, right? Better be careful, people are smashed to death and even burned alive in car crashes EVERY DAY! :eek:

Disneynerd
12-24-2005, 07:10 AM
Don't be so hard on yourself, i don't think your question is Dumbo.;)
There are plenty of other rides to enjoy if your friend has a particular problem with Dumbo. Just try not to tell her about the various accidents that have occured in the park the last 50 years or she may not want leave her house.
Have a great time!

Opus1guy
12-24-2005, 08:09 AM
I recalled an accident on Disneyland's Dumbo but couldn't remember the details so I Googled and came up with this:

March 1990
March 31, 1990--A 13-year-old Canadian girl is injured when a support arm on the Dumbo Flying Elephant Ride collapses

If I recall correctly, the elephant didn't completely separate and "fly away." It simply went "limp" and dangled at a hard angle until the attraction was E-Stopped.

They of course shut the ride down immediately and began examining the thing and what it would cost to refurbish it and such. Then when Imagineering informed Disneyland that the new Disneyland Paris Dumbo was finished way ahead of schedule and was sitting ready-to-go at the manufacturer's plant in Italy, and there was plenty of time to build a second new one in time for Paris' Grand Opening...the powers that be decided to ship the Paris Dumbo to Anaheim directly from Italy...to replace the aging original Dumbo attraction.

So that's Paris' Dumbo that we ride on today in Anaheim. And we got it because of that accident. You can tell your friend that the current Dumbo is a completely and totally different and re-engineered attraction than the old Dumbo on which the accident occurred on.

Not that that will likely make any difference in anything. ;)

potzbie
12-24-2005, 09:09 AM
She claims that one of them broke off, and flew away with the people in it.

Yeah, it happens all the time . . . -- One or two Dumbos just get tired of the boring repretition, and conspire to break away and fly off, free, never to be heard from again . . .

And sometimes the Mad Hatter saucers roll away.

And sometimes the Peter Pan pirate ships leave the dark-ride track and float off above the Hub and circle the berm.

And I cannot tell you how many submarines sank, never returning to Tomorrowland port, when the undersea volcanos or the sea serpent got them.

Yeah. That's the ticket. Sure.

You won't read about it in the Orange County Register, because they are all in on it.

Yeah. Sure.

TowerofTerror
12-24-2005, 09:10 AM
Dumbo is a fun ride for all ages. I still go on it when I go to the park.

MermaidHair
12-24-2005, 10:30 AM
Don't be so hard on yourself, i don't think your question is Dumbo.;)

Ha! Ha! ROFL :D :D :)

ralfrick
12-24-2005, 12:38 PM
I can find no evidence online of any accident on any Disney Dumbo attraction. www.rideaccidents.com is a pretty good resource, though you have to use Google to search the site as they have no search function. For example:
Dumbo site:rideaccidents.com (http://www.google.com/search?client=opera&rls=en&q=dumbo+site:rideaccidents.com&sourceid=opera&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8)

I'm sure there would be some mention somewhere if the attraction had this kind of catastrophic mechanical failure.

In 1989, a bracket broke, the elephant tipped about 45 degrees and dragged someone along the walkway. The next year, a similar accident happened, the DL Dumbo was removed, and the one being built for DLP was installed. In 1994, one of those elephants came loose and dragged a woman along the walkway.

This is from page 226 of Mouse Tales Special Edition hardback. Since this was written by David Koening and he is a MP columnist, I find it more than a little ironic that it is being disputed on a MP message board.

Cheers.

mi_mous
12-24-2005, 04:44 PM
Thanks for all the info guys! It doesn't ruin my time not going on Dumbo with her, cause I go alll the time with my kids, so no biggie to me. I just want to be able to let her know if the claims are runored or not.
To me, it sounds like there is a little validity to her claims, but not the actual breaking off part.
Thanks for all your help!

I Heart Disneyland!
12-24-2005, 04:55 PM
If I recall correctly, the elephant didn't completely separate and "fly away." It simply went "limp" and dangled at a hard angle until the attraction was E-Stopped.
;)

I'm sorry, but, the thought of a Dumbo coming loose and FLYING cracks me up! "He can fly, he can fly, he can fly!"

Disney Vault
12-24-2005, 08:44 PM
I recalled an accident on Disneyland's Dumbo but couldn't remember the details so I Googled and came up with this:

They of course shut the ride down immediately and began examining the thing and what it would cost to refurbish it and such. Then when Imagineering informed Disneyland that the new Disneyland Paris Dumbo was finished way ahead of schedule and was sitting ready-to-go at the manufacturer's plant in Italy, and there was plenty of time to build a second new one in time for Paris' Grand Opening...the powers that be decided to ship the Paris Dumbo to Anaheim directly from Italy...to replace the aging original Dumbo attraction.

So that's Paris' Dumbo that we ride on today in Anaheim. And we got it because of that accident. You can tell your friend that the current Dumbo is a completely and totally different and re-engineered attraction than the old Dumbo on which the accident occurred on.

Not that that will likely make any difference in anything. ;)
Very interesting piece of information. Thanks for sharing.

SandraVB79
12-27-2005, 06:34 AM
I'm sorry, but, the thought of a Dumbo coming loose and FLYING cracks me up! "He can fly, he can fly, he can fly!"

OK, now my computerscreen is full of hot tea... your comment made me laugh way too hard!

But... the commercials for DLP have Dumbo flying around the castle... so that would be a nice add-on to the ride: every ride, one Dumbo flies away around the castle!