PDA

View Full Version : *** EXCLUSIVE *** First look at new Space Mountain Rockets

Pages : [1] 2

zapppop
03-25-2002, 03:52 PM
Over the weekend I got a picture of what I believe to be one of the new rockets for Space Mountain.

Here's the photo:
http://members.aol.com/mrisaacmartin/smrocket.jpg

Sorry I couldn't get a better shot.

cemeinke
03-25-2002, 04:58 PM
Pretty good shot, for squirming around the back of the monorail ;)

BiggJakeMoney
03-25-2002, 05:02 PM
Kinda funky looking. For some reason, I was imagining them more streamlined, and rounded. I do like the headrests a lot, though. They're not all bulky and tacked on, like the ones now.

-BJM

Ace
03-25-2002, 05:31 PM
well, at least they're not PINK.

Superty88
03-25-2002, 07:24 PM
cool when is it being installed?

Mouse
03-25-2002, 09:11 PM
I feel violated! ;)
Zappop has eyes that reach far into backstage...

well not really...

But still, I never stop to think that guests can see so far into backstage..

OOooOOoOooO!
(and other scary noises)

Darkbeer
03-25-2002, 09:25 PM
If Disney wanted to keep it a secret, they should have covered it up!

zapppop
03-25-2002, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by Superty88
cool when is it being installed?

September/ October

TerryTiger
03-25-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by zapppop

September/ October

6 more months without the soundtrack??????!!!!!????????

UNACCEPTABLE!

Ghoulish Delight
03-25-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by TerryTiger

UNACCEPTABLE!

Umm, I rode it for 10 years without the soundtrack and accepted just fine. I personally enjoy it without the soundtrack, thank you very much.

zapppop
03-25-2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by TerryTiger

UNACCEPTABLE!
Hey, it's been years already; what's another 6 months :D

Seriously: I know how ya feel but there aren't enough ready. If they installed them now there would only be about 7 or 8. Gotta wait until summer is over.

Nigel2
03-25-2002, 09:44 PM
Hmmm I wonder if that is a finished rocket or if it is a "test" rocket.

KarenW2
03-26-2002, 10:43 AM
Are you sure this isn't just a leftover Rocket Rod that's been repainted & altered a little?? :D

AliKzam
03-26-2002, 12:56 PM
I was just going to suggest reformatting the rocket rods without tires, adding speakers on the sides or something, and using them? But I guess they're pretty much demolished, huh?

Ghoulish Delight
03-26-2002, 01:50 PM
NOTHING gets demolished. They spent way too much money on 'em to just throw them away. They are either back stage somewhere, or in a warehouse. Case in point, next time you ride the monorail, keep your eye out for 1) Submarines sitting in their maintanance bay (you get a short glimpse towards the end of the ride into Tomorrowland), and 2) a keel boat sitting back stage.

zapppop
03-26-2002, 02:21 PM
The Rocket Rods have been dismantled ( plus they were angled ) so I'm pretty sure it's not one of them. I'm confident it's one of the new rockets for Space Mountain. It's in the same area as the 2 keel boats.

MonorailMan
03-26-2002, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
NOTHING gets demolished. They spent way too much money on 'em to just throw them away. They are either back stage somewhere, or in a warehouse. Case in point, next time you ride the monorail, keep your eye out for 1) Submarines sitting in their maintanance bay (you get a short glimpse towards the end of the ride into Tomorrowland), and 2) a keel boat sitting back stage.

Hence another reason I love the monorail! Not only is it relaxing, you can see "Secret" stuff. :D

Not Afraid
03-26-2002, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by Ghoulish Delight
Case in point, next time you ride the monorail, keep your eye out for 1) Submarines sitting in their maintanance bay (you get a short glimpse towards the end of the ride into Tomorrowland), and 2) a keel boat sitting back stage.

1) Submarines are visible if you don't spend too much time looking at the Car Park ;) and 2) there are 2 keel boats there, the Bertha Mae and one that is in really bad shape.

cemeinke
03-26-2002, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by zapppop
I'm confident it's one of the new rockets for Space Mountain. It's in the same area as the 2 keel boats.

Me too, what Zapppop's picture doesn't show is that there is a second car next to the one pictured with a black covering with the words "Space Mountain" stenciled on it.

Of course maybe the Disney folks are just toying with us developing decoy vehicles and deliberately leaving them in the visible portions of back stage.

On a similar note, from the top of the Parking garage you could see a couple gutted Splash Mountain logs being worked on. Need to bring some binoculars, but it looked like the seats had been completely removed.

Nigel2
03-26-2002, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Not Afraid

1) Submarines are visible if you don't spend too much time looking at the Car Park ;) and 2) there are 2 keel boats there, the Bertha Mae and one that is in really bad shape.

You use to be able to see them from the train as well until they covered up the sub's backstage bay.

Also I guess they didn't sell the keel boat, just like the dreamfinder blimp.

I also remember them talking about how the RRs are demolished since disney is big on "not selling technology" (for example the Dreamfinder blimp didn't come with the AA's)

Ace
03-27-2002, 07:41 AM
gah.... they need the soundtrack. without it, it's better to ride any of the other 3 (2... sniffle) mountains.

Ghoulish Delight
03-27-2002, 07:46 AM
No way. The soundtrack is far from necessary. It was by far my favorite of the mountains before the soundtrack, and truth be told when the soundtrack went in, I hated it. I like it when all you hear is the roar of the ride and the screams of the riders. The soundtrack, to me, is kind of cheasy and insulting to the ride. It's great ride on its own and doesn't need music to tell you so. Since, I've grown to tollerate it, and occasionally kind of like it, but I still prefer it witout the music. I'll be sad if the new rockets come with a more reliable sound system. :(

JPIVERSON
03-27-2002, 08:47 AM
It's hard to tell from the picture.... but I hope the head rests were redesigned. My least favorite part of this ride is the way the headrests hit me in the back of the neck. Being 6'3", I'd always walk out of the ride rubbing my neck.

AliKzam
03-27-2002, 09:00 AM
Yeah, you never really thought about how you leaned back in that ride until the CM moved your car up and screeched the brakes to a halt before the ride started for the first time with the new headrests. I mean, the least they could have done was pad them.
Maybe it was their plan all along to give us concussions so they could take all our money... nah. Too many witnesses.

spacemtncastmbr
03-27-2002, 10:16 AM
well heres some info you guys should like. We will be testing the new rocket this summer if everything goes good. the rocket will not be purple it will be paiinted to match the current rockets. so we dont have guests issues. then if the test goes good the new rockets will go in on the next rehab.