PDA

View Full Version : Pirates on crack/Bring your Ray-Bans

splbound
03-25-2002, 02:38 PM
Last Friday Night we decided to hop over to DL and see the new updates on POTC. There was an earlier thread praising the work done on the additional lighting, etc. - Just wanted to share my experience. - good and bad.

OK - the wear shades comment was a little harsh, but seriously, does anyone else feel that they went a little overboard with the blue and purple floods? In the caverns past the skeletal scenes where it has always been pitch black is now pretty well lit....."perhaps he knows too much...he's seen the cursed treasure...." You know the place....Anyway, now you can see the rather unfinished wall, the emergency exit. I have been on this ride thousands of times and never seen it. Every 6 feet or so it's blue/purple.....and someone in the tech group must have a pyro fetish.....there is fire now everywhere. It is cool effect, but in my opinion, gives off way too much light to some scenes, ie: where the rafters overhead are creaking and it looks like it can all come down any minute....

As for the animatronics....WOW. Between movement and sound enhancements I was in awe. Three figures that popped out at me were:

#1: the pirate sitting next to the barrell with the little cat that keeps popping his head out of the barrell in the scene where the men are chasing the women....He now shimmies all over the place. It's like watching one of the strung out crack junkies on an episode of COPS.

#2: The guy towards the end of the ride holding the juice jug on the bridge with his fool dangling over our heads....he now is rock and rollin.....

#3: The guy at the very end laying on the cannon. He is all of a sudden very talkative. We were stuck there for a minute or two and I dont ever remember him speaking before....he wouldnt stop babbling. I think he is using cocaine.

Seriously, it's pretty cool to see them look and act a little differently, but I dont see the reason for fixing some things and not others.....for instance...

The big ship as you come out of the fog bank at the beginning. There is so much mold and discoloration at the bottom of the boat by where the "cannonballs" hit the water, it sort of ruins the scene. Painting wouldnt have been more practical than making the skeletons in the bar scene talk? There is also a scene where there are three singing pirates seranading us with a burro braying along with them. One of the pirates is missing skin on his neck. The visual is a cross between a charactor in the movie A.I. and that woman in the anti smoking commercial that has a hole in her neck. One wonders why the powers that be would allow that to go unchecked, but 10 feet away give some of the looting pirates nice new torches in which to burn the town.

Hmmmm. Any comments?

Matterhorn Fan
03-25-2002, 04:35 PM
Is the redhead (auction scene) still missing her right foot?

Uncle Dick
03-25-2002, 08:14 PM
Originally posted by Matterhorn Fan
Is the redhead (auction scene) still missing her right foot?
I dunno. I'm never looking at her feet. ;);)

Matterhorn Fan
03-27-2002, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by Uncle Dick
I dunno. I'm never looking at her feet. ;);) I can't imagine why not. :rolleyes:

daveinMN
03-27-2002, 07:13 PM
A little off the subject, but I have often called my wife a Wench in fun, because of the the big banner at the auction scene, "Take a Wench for a Bride". I love explaining to our friends why I call her that, and of course it is with her consent.

Dave IN Minnesota

Ace
03-27-2002, 09:50 PM
ok....either I was a) seeing things or b) high off that mist that they throw at you, I found an incredibly un-PC thing in pirates... at the last set of "chasers" it's a woman chasing 2 pirates, and I think either the woman or one of the pirates have a loaf of bread. Anyway, if you look at the woman's chest, it's VERY bouncy... is this my (sick twisted) imagination? please don't tell me i'm crazy...

cemeinke
03-27-2002, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
ok....either I was a) seeing things or b) high off that mist that they throw at you, I found an incredibly un-PC thing in pirates... at the last set of "chasers" it's a woman chasing 2 pirates, and I think either the woman or one of the pirates have a loaf of bread. Anyway, if you look at the woman's chest, it's VERY bouncy... is this my (sick twisted) imagination? please don't tell me i'm crazy...

Gotta love those imagineers - they think of everything don't they?;)

Uncle Dick
03-27-2002, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Squinky
Anyway, if you look at the woman's chest, it's VERY bouncy... is this my (sick twisted) imagination? please don't tell me i'm crazy...
No, no. You're quite correct. She is in need of additional....um.... "support". Imagine being the guy who designed the mechanism....

Ace
03-28-2002, 01:22 PM
woo hoo! I'm not crazy........... this goes on my "what the?" list... they make the pirates chase the women because they have food.... but there's still a wench auction and the above... what the?