PDA

View Full Version : Monsters to the rescue - Orange County Register, 12/22/05

Darkbeer
12-22-2005, 11:29 AM
http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/money/abox/article_909471.php

QuikQuote: The Monsters, Inc. attraction would rate as a high "C" if Disney still used its original ticket books, with rides starting at "A" and working up to "E" for the biggest thrills. It's likely to be most popular with younger children and fans of the movie. While it's not a blockbuster, it provides a much-needed boost for California Adventure and it signals Disney's intent to accelerate development of a park that opened in 2001.
"We're just getting started," said Rafferty, who is working on several Disney attractions. "This is the first step into the future for Disney's California Adventure."

TikiGeek
12-22-2005, 11:33 AM
"We're just getting started," said Rafferty "This is the first step into the future for Disney's California Adventure.":rolleyes:

Andrew
12-22-2005, 11:35 AM
From the article:

Another unique feature is the video terminal in the ride vehicle. As riders board their taxi, they see and hear a news clip that sets the stage for the four-minute story they're about to experience.
So it uses the SSL ride vehicles?

Not a bad thing, just wondering.

Darkbeer
12-22-2005, 11:50 AM
Yes, the ride uses the same vehicles and the same track.

The outer shell of the vehicles were painted to look like taxis, but the body remained the same.

In fact some of the sets in the ride are the old SSL sets repainted and rethemed.

Also, some of the SSL characters have been seen, Jackie Chan and Drew Carey are now covered in the CDA protection suits.

TowerofTerror
12-22-2005, 01:21 PM
well cool but hey at least the ride wont be shut down as fast SSL did which lasted only like about 9 months be be closed for good.

TP2000
12-22-2005, 03:08 PM
http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/money/abox/article_909471.php

QuikQuote: "We're just getting started," said Rafferty, who is working on several Disney attractions. "This is the first step into the future for Disney's California Adventure."

Oh, puhleeze. They've been saying junk like that since about the second week of DCA's operation back in February, 2001. DCA's salvation is always just around the corner and the park will be wonderful once it gets... the Electrical Parade, WWTBAM Play It!, Ariel's Grotto, Luminaria, A new Hyperion show, Rockin' The Bay, Fiesta Latina, X Games, Flik's Fun Fair, Tower of Terror, Turtle Talk, etc., etc., etc.

Why do they even try to still talk like that? I would think they'd be embarassed for themselves after the last five years of lines like that.

chrisaustx
12-22-2005, 05:27 PM
My company worked on the Monsters ride, and I can tell you that WDI spent alot of money fixing up Super Star Limo. The new management at Disneyland does want to fix DCA, not just patch it up. I think within a few years, some major postive changes will come to DCA, including getting rid of the DCA name for good. The most expensive ride in Disneyland history may be built in the parking lot behind Screamin, finally someone at TDA understands that the destruction of Walt's parking lot was a historic opporunity to grow Disneyland, not a cheap way to build a theme park like DCA. I am very optimistic about the future of DCA, some great possibilities exist there for new expensive attractions.

disneyhound
12-22-2005, 06:04 PM
..."This is the first step into the future for Disney's California Adventure."
I thought TOT was the first step! :confused:

Darkbeer
12-22-2005, 06:32 PM
^No, it was the Electrical Parade and Millionaire.....

Alex S.
12-22-2005, 09:48 PM
Always read such things as "this is the first step [since the last time you asked the question]."

disneyjunkie
12-22-2005, 09:57 PM
I have faith that Disney management will bring DCA up to Disney standards , I think the first thing DCA had against it was being placed accross the esplanade from the best place in the world. Thats a high bar to aim for and I really think that it be up to the task within the next 10 years.

chrisaustx
12-23-2005, 05:44 AM
If Harriss or Pressler were still running the show at Disneyland then I would agree with the idea that DCA is still doomed. But the new management is not concerned with adding a new $20 million ride and hoping it will bring guests in the gates. So you can forget about everything Paul and Cynthia have previously did to DCA, I think in a few years, all of their bad ideas will be gone from DCA and it will be a new place, and people will actually want to spend money to go there. I think in a few years, Paradise Pier, California Dreams, the carnival, the lagoon and the depressing food making area will be history. There are so many possibilites to demo DCA and rebuild something good, I know there are lots of ideas on the table now.

averagedork
12-23-2005, 06:30 AM
I went on it twice yesterday. I don't know. I am still on the fence about it hard core. The outside... I didn't like the way they painted the characters. Especially Boo. I don't know... I liked the door room. I didn't like it how I felt bigger than most of the monsters. Especially Sully. By the 2nd time I was on it I kept thinking "Dude I am taller than Sully. I could totally take him in a bar fight." Which I shouldn't think because it's a kid ride, but these are monsters, they are supposed to be imposing. That was my biggest complaint. I wanted the monsters to feel like "oh crap they are fairly large."

Are Drew Carey and Jackie Chan under those CDA suits? Really?

DianeM
12-23-2005, 08:17 AM
Good point. DCA is already better than most theme parks. If I had a choice between DCA and Knotts, I'd pick DCA in a heartbeat. TOT, Screamin, Bug's Life, Grizzly, Muppet 3D, and especially Soarin, are all really great attractions that I would want to see again and again. I think that some people have problems with DCA because they want it to instantly be as good as Disneyland, which is too high a standard for a brand new park. It may take longer than 10 years to catch up (heck, it may never catch up), but it's still a very good park.

I have faith that Disney management will bring DCA up to Disney standards , I think the first thing DCA had against it was being placed accross the esplanade from the best place in the world. Thats a high bar to aim for and I really think that it be up to the task within the next 10 years.

jrad32
12-23-2005, 09:00 AM
My company worked on the Monsters ride, and I can tell you that WDI spent alot of money fixing up Super Star Limo. The new management at Disneyland does want to fix DCA, not just patch it up. I think within a few years, some major postive changes will come to DCA, including getting rid of the DCA name for good. The most expensive ride in Disneyland history may be built in the parking lot behind Screamin, finally someone at TDA understands that the destruction of Walt's parking lot was a historic opporunity to grow Disneyland, not a cheap way to build a theme park like DCA. I am very optimistic about the future of DCA, some great possibilities exist there for new expensive attractions.

I to am optimistic. I am a DCA-hater, but I really think the new management at the park is on the right track. Once we get through the 50th I expect some massive work on DCA. We get Nemo in DL in 07, and I hope we get a major E Ticket in DCA in 08. Also, from the looks of the pics of the Monster's Inc. area, they are really putting some money back into the design of the park areas themselves. Hopefully we continue to see that in areas like San Francisco where we have little to look at or do. I'm cautiously optimistic that by the time my daughter (due in April) is three or four I will no longer be a DCA-hater.

merlinjones
12-23-2005, 09:18 AM
I rode Monsters Inc yesterday and also saw Turtle talk for the first time.

Monsters: Cute "C Ticket" reworking of the truly hideous Superstar Limo (in my estimation the worst ride ever to have come from Imagineering). Given the limitations of space, layout, etc, Monsters comes off well - - not exciting or surprising - - but pleasant. The three dimensional models (several with limited motion) are quite attractive and close to the level of the Roger Rabbit ride. Though there are several amusing setpieces (like Harryhausen's), there is only one really dynamic visual scene in the wherehouse full of doors. One would wish for one or two really new, original and surprising effects - - and storywise, I would have liked to have been transported through one of the doors to Boo's bedroom (and back again) at the end of the ride, but at least it is no stale Pooh fiasco. DCA really needs rides instead of shows and this helps to flesh out the offerings. It's nice too that it is an original to Anaheim. Anyway, a good if not sterling effort - - I hope they add a somewhat more spectacular "D-Ticket" Little Mermaid attraction to the pier area as DCA finally gains some momentum.

Hollywood "placemaking": Looks nicer. This sort of theming layer is really needed throughout DCA (some places even more drastically). It helps make this feel like a place you might actually want to go and hang. I'm glad they are thinking about such things again. One thing I don't get: the Sorcerer Mickey fountain looks great here - - why not just rename the Hollywood Pictures area Walt Disney Studios and give the rest of the "land" the same treatment (mouse ears on the water tower, WDStudio merchandise, etc.) - - I mean, people would rather see that anyway, so why not just give them what they want? It also allows for unique merchandise to sell that people might want (some imported from the Studio or Florida and Paris).

Turtle Talk; Charming. Surprising. The kids loved it. Breakthrough new technology. Now that's a Disney worthy little show.

Keep the DCA changes coming fast and furious, Matt, and you may turn out to be the man who made a silk purse from a sow's ear. But there is a long, long way to go yet... Mickey's Philharmagic sould be brought to that San Francisco Palace of the Arts Theatre (replacing Golden Dreams) as soon as possible! And how about some Haight Ashbury style shops over there in those empty storefronts - - keep the energy building in this park!

(BTW - - Now that Julie Andrews has replaced Eisner in One Man's Dream I'd love to see that film return to Anaheim in a more high profile location, say the Main Street Cinema in Disneyland itself (Walt's own park), made over into a proper small screening room - - that couldn't cost too much. This is a really touching film, and its location in DCA was far too remote to give the full exposure it deserved with the public, especially now that Julie is hosting. It compliments the 50th.).

Disney Vault
12-23-2005, 01:06 PM
A little off topic but I saw turtle talk on my last trip and while I liked it, I also thought it was too short. Maybe I just saw a shorter show or they had to end it early. And everyone walking out was saying that it was too short. I have seen videos of turtle talk and it seemed much longer. They only talked to 4 people in the audience. And doesn't Dory sometimes teach you how to speak whale or is that only at Epcot?

merlinjones
12-23-2005, 01:21 PM
>>A little off topic but I saw turtle talk on my last trip and while I liked it, I also thought it was too short. Maybe I just saw a shorter show or they had to end it early. And everyone walking out was saying that it was too short. I have seen videos of turtle talk and it seemed much longer. They only talked to 4 people in the audience. And doesn't Dory sometimes teach you how to speak whale or is that only at Epcot?<<

The show I saw seemed plenty long enough (maybe 15 minutes) and a few of the kids questions were Linkletter-worthy - it had impact at that length. Much longer and it would have become repetitive, given the visual limitations. Always leave 'em wanting more...

No Dory in Anaheim, I can't speak for EPCOT.

socalkdg
12-23-2005, 04:11 PM
Oh, puhleeze. They've been saying junk like that since about the second week of DCA's operation back in February, 2001. DCA's salvation is always just around the corner and the park will be wonderful once it gets... the Electrical Parade, WWTBAM Play It!, Ariel's Grotto, Luminaria, A new Hyperion show, Rockin' The Bay, Fiesta Latina, X Games, Flik's Fun Fair, Tower of Terror, Turtle Talk, etc., etc., etc. I look at the last three things on your list, "Flik's Fun Fair, Tower of Terror, Turtle Talk" and add Monsters Inc to it and notice a huge difference compared to many of the other items on the list.

Dory shows up occasionally. I saw her last Sunday for the first time. I learned how to "speeeeaaaaak whaaaale". :)

Disney Vault
12-23-2005, 04:23 PM
I am glad to hear Dory is at DCA. That is a good way to get you in there many times if she only shows up every once in a while.

cstephens
12-26-2005, 10:37 PM
So it uses the SSL ride vehicles?

Not a bad thing, just wondering.

Yes, except they don't have a really irritating faux agent incessantly chattering at you. When we rode SSL, we always threw a jacket over the monitor. There's a short intro on the video on Monsters, but then you're free to enjoy the ride itself.

Opus1guy
12-27-2005, 08:27 AM
I think the first thing DCA had against it was being placed accross the esplanade from the best place in the world. Thats a high bar to aim for and I really think that it be up to the task within the next 10 years.

I have to strongly disagree with this oft-used theory. Several of the Parks added to Walt Disney World were not up to the level of the Magic Kingdom upon opening, but I never heard anyone say they weren't good quality "Disney" parks in the highest tradition. Might have been short on attraction counts upon opening, but the public felt they were Disney and they didn't stay away in droves like they have with California Adventure. They were themed well and had good storied shows and attractions. And quality.

I actually feel pretty confident that if California Adventure had been located 20 miles from Disneyland, that it's attendance would be cut in half again! If anything, being "across the esplanade from the best place in the world" has saved it's fatty bacon!

The extra overall Resort attendance that having other gates brings in only works if the "other" parks are up to snuff enough to where the guests are "spread" more or less evenly among the various gates. If not, those extra guests just end up migrating away from the crummy product and over to the quality one and you end up with a bulging-at-the-seams Disneyland.

Which is exactly what I think you've been seeing at Disneyland.

And I might add, it should never take "10 years" to be "up to the task." It should have been up to the task upon opening.

IMHO.