PDA

View Full Version : What's the Deal with people? [Cell phone etiquette at the DLR]

Pages : [1] 2

EchoThree76
12-21-2005, 08:23 PM
I think they shold do the same thing for Cell Phones that they do for smokers. Only alow them in certain areas...here is why i suggest this. It had been since 93 since the last time i was at DL. The only thing that was even a little crummy about this triop was that people werer constantly on there cell's. They woudl be on them right up until the ride started moving then as soon as they got off they were on them again. There were many times when a CM directed soemone to a spacific line and because those people were SO involved in there own little world they Totally didnt listen. Then when the CM came to tell them so they get all indignate and bent out of shape caus ethey told them to get in to another line. not only that...do they think EVERY one aroudn them wants to hear there conversation? Uh..NO! Can i get a Amen?!

Mommy2NicknMax
12-21-2005, 08:30 PM
It's that whole common courtesy thing again. I was at DL a couple weeks ago. During the Aladdin show at DCA the woman behind me got on her cell. Twice I turned around to do the universal "shhh" sign to her. She ignored me. I wish Genie would have said something to her. ;) Same visit during Billy Hill and the Hillbillys(is that what that show's called?) someone's phone rang. They worked it into the show. I don't mind so much people on them in line as long as they are paying attention to the CMs. But during shows, yes, please set them to silent and return the call or leave the show to take it.

mi_mous
12-21-2005, 08:35 PM
It's that whole common courtesy thing again. I was at DL a couple weeks ago. During the Aladdin show at DCA the woman behind me got on her cell. Twice I turned around to do the universal "shhh" sign to her. She ignored me. I wish Genie would have said something to her. ;) Same visit during Billy Hill and the Hillbillys(is that what that show's called?) someone's phone rang. They worked it into the show. I don't mind so much people on them in line as long as they are paying attention to the CMs. But during shows, yes, please set them to silent and return the call or leave the show to take it.

I have been in the Aladdin show, and they warn that if you have a cell phone that goes off, or a flash on your camera, they will ask you to leave. I am surprised that a CM didn't say something, or take action.

Crazy4DL
12-21-2005, 08:47 PM
...do they think EVERY one aroudn them wants to hear there conversation? Uh..NO! Can i get a Amen?!

Amen!

Mommy2NicknMax
12-21-2005, 08:49 PM
I have been in the Aladdin show, and they warn that if you have a cell phone that goes off, or a flash on your camera, they will ask you to leave. I am surprised that a CM didn't say something, or take action.
I didn't see any CMs at all.

Her phone didn't ring (maybe that would have gotten their attention?). She actually made a call during the show.

spike
12-21-2005, 09:00 PM
Can i get a Amen?!

AMEN BROTHER (or sister if the case may be)!

Crazy4DL
12-21-2005, 09:01 PM
I. She actually made a call during the show.

Down right rude! :mad:

mi_mous
12-21-2005, 09:04 PM
Down right rude! :mad:

I totally agree. It's one thing to receive a call, it's another thing to MAKE a call, especially during a show! She should have stepped out to make the call if it was that important!

Bolivar
12-21-2005, 09:43 PM
I can't remember where I read the article and I can't even quote the credentials of the author, he was an academic and in a related field -- sociology perhaps, maybe psychology. Anyway, he commuted on a train and he found it odd that people were so put off and angered by those on cell phones. He observed that two people could have a loud conversation and it didn't bother anyone, but someone got on a cell phone, even quietly and there was universal distain all around.

So he studied it. Again I wish I could recall the particulars, but I recall his conclusions having to do with a deep-seated need we have to answer questions. That during conversations there are all kinds of questions: "how are you doing?", "Oh, what happened next", and so on. When two people are having a conversation we overhear the query and the response. When someone is on a cell phone we only hear the question and not the answer. This is troubling to us and makes us uncomfortable. People don't react well to feeling uncomfortable and they get angry with the cell phone user.

Pat-n-Eil
12-21-2005, 10:00 PM
Bolivar, you may be dead on with the one-sided conversation scenario - but I can tell you that this isn't what bothers me. There are so many things other than that.

• Most phones are backlit now and bright, which detracts from the show.

• Talking on cell phones during an attraction, ride or show interferes with my enjoyment of the show because I'm having to compensate for their noise.

• It is against the simple rules of etiquette to be placing a call or engaging in a long phone call during a performance. It's just rude.

• People on the cell phone often act like they are special or should be given extra leeway or privacy just because they have the phone to their ear. It is hard enough just to get handle the crowds without this added layer of frustration.

This little story has nothing to do with Disneyland - but it does speak to courtesy. I was waiting in line at the DMV last year. The whole time this teenage boy was on the cell phone with whom I believe was probably his girlfriend. For 40 minutes he was on the phone. For 40 minutes he said probably 5 or 6 words.. but he said them 20 times. "Yeah. Uh Huh. Really. That sucks. cool". Seemed like a total waste of air time to me.. Oh well, at least he wasn't having to yell into the phone to be heard..

sleepyjeff
12-21-2005, 10:29 PM
It is hard to escape the real world with so many bent on bringing it into the park with them:(

asharpcook
12-21-2005, 11:27 PM
I think the whole cell phone thing just comes down to common courtesy. Did I have mine with me at the park over Thanksgiving? Yes. I had 4 kids at home and one was trying to make Thanksgiving dinner for his brothers and friends. I didn't want him to burn down the house. (BTW- his dinner turned out great according to his brothers and guests....!)Did I have the phone on all the time? No. I checked my voice mail every few hours when we were taking a break to people watch when we were out of the way of crowds and such. I enjoy my phone as a convenience, but it is hardly a necessity. People have lived for thousands of years without them and can continue to do so if need be. :)

SandraVB79
12-22-2005, 12:15 AM
In my golf club, the rule goes: If you can't turn off your phone during the time you're at the golf club, you shouldn't be there, but in your office.
I think the same thing goes for Disneyland. If you're so busy you can't turn off your phone during a show/ride/ whatever in Disneyland, you shouldn't be there, but in your office.

When I was there end of October, at Soarin', they had to wait to let the ride start until someone finally got off the phone. Exactly teh same thing happened on Splash and ToT...

hlbtimes2
12-22-2005, 06:04 AM
[QUOTE=EchoThree76]I think they shold do the same thing for Cell Phones that they do for smokers. Only alow them in certain areas... [QUOTE]

While I see your point, that would really suck for those of us that use our phones to find lost or seperated members of our group. Dh, MIL and I all had our phones on our last trip. I couldnt even tell you how many times we used them to reconnect. It was always quick calls to get us all in the same spot, but it was a life saver!

I'm not sure about MIL and DH, but I had to set my phone on vibrate because I cant hear it ring when I'm in the park. There is to much other noise.

Disneymomma
12-22-2005, 06:26 AM
When I was there I saw lots of cell usage.
The thing that bothered me the most was when you would see a little kid trying to enjoy a ride with their dad, and point things out to him, and dad was on the cell phone. (on Casey Jr.)
Saw the same dad on the phone while watching the parade.
I saw the man all over the park on the phone the whole time.
Poor kid.

I saw lots of people using their phones to take pictures too, which is a practical use of them.

One phone went off during Turtle Talk and Crush commented on it. He said "Hey lady with the phone, tell them you are talking to a turtle right now. They will totally freak dude"

It is all about courtesy. Same as anything. People pushing with strollers. People getting ticked at people with strollers. People smoking in non-smoking areas. People butting in front while you are in place for the parade. People snapping on CMs for things that are out of their control.

People just need to be nice!

Bolivar
12-22-2005, 08:43 AM
Bolivar, you may be dead on with the one-sided conversation scenario - but ...
I merely quote a half remembered article. I make no claims on the accuracy.

Enter The Mouse
12-22-2005, 09:16 AM
My thought is that Cell Phone usage at the park is okay, as long as it is not on a ride or during a show. When My family and I go down there, it's the only way we keep in touch when we're seperated. If we had to go to an area to make a call then wait for them to finish what they're doing to get to a cell phone only area then it makes the place less magical for them. I personaly don't like it when people get mad at Cell Phone users just out in public. That's the point of a cell phone.

mamatojon
12-22-2005, 09:59 AM
When I was there I saw lots of cell usage.
The thing that bothered me the most was when you would see a little kid trying to enjoy a ride with their dad, and point things out to him, and dad was on the cell phone. (on Casey Jr.)
Saw the same dad on the phone while watching the parade.
I saw the man all over the park on the phone the whole time.
Poor kid.

I see this at the playground all the time too. Moms and Dads running around after toddlers talking on the phone. Kid wants to be pushed on the swing and mom is turned around the other way going "OH MY GOD, REALLY?" LOL.

The Lovely Mrs. tod
12-22-2005, 10:18 AM
I merely quote a half remembered article. I make no claims on the accuracy.
I see your point. Personally, I'm angered by people carrying on conversations during performances and movies as well. Years ago, during a performance at the Dorothy Chandler we were sitting in front of a group of adults who chattered and talked constantly and in a normal tone of voice, it got so bad that tod actually turned around and said "are those people up on stage interrupting your conversation?"

Now that you point it out, the use of cell phones isn't much different...it's someone basically talking out loud at an inappropriate time, i.e. a time that can distract and annoy those around them.

Although I tend to see people at places like DL, walking down Main Street with their cells plastered to their ears and I think "that was a waste of $50 bucks, why didn't you either stay home and talk to them or bring them along?"

-TLMt

blewellen
12-22-2005, 10:24 AM
I always have my cell phone on vibrate while at Disneyland and if i'm watching a show or on a ride and it rings, I send the call to voice mail. My family and friends know I only do that when i'm busy. I sometimes pick up the line at times while watching Laughing Stock, but I move myself to the back, to not interrupt the show. :)

Cell phone courtesy, some people have it and some people don't. Just like smokers.. Some are courteous and some are not.

Just this morning on the news.. Movie theaters want to put cell phone scramblers in so you can't receive calls in the theater but if there is a real emergency inside a theater, how would people be able to call out? :confused:

TowerofTerror
12-22-2005, 10:42 AM
I think it okay if they pay attention to the CM`s and have common courtesy .I have my phone when I'm there. I talk on the phone when I'm not on the ride or seeing a show. I have my phone off during the show or just have it on vibrate.

cstephens
12-22-2005, 11:00 AM
I think this is another one of those situations where it's not the device that's rude - it's the use of the device. Having restricted phone zones wouldn't make any sense, but there's no way to regulate people using phones courteously. If I'm in a show, I'll usually turn it off. If I'm on a ride, I don't turn the phone off, but if a call comes in, then I send it to voicemail, and I certainly wouldn't initiate a call while on a ride.

In the case where a CM had to wait for someone to get off the phone before they could put them on the ride, I would have just moved on to the next people.

If I'm at a counter buying something and my celphone rings and my husband isn't around, I don't answer the phone until after I'm done, or if I've been expecting the call, I'll answer it long enough to tell them I'll call them back or tell them to hold and then apologize to the CM for the interruption. If I'm in the restroom, I don't answer at all, and I certainly wouldn't initiate a call, but there are apparently people who don't hold that same belief...

hefferdude
12-22-2005, 11:08 AM
We had the opportunity to stay for the flag retreat ceremony during our visit candlelight weekend. During the lowering, folding and passing portions of the ceremony, a very rude and discourteous slob standing behind me blabbed on his cell the entire time. ( hat on his head I might add ).:mad:

As much as it distracted me, I stayed with the ceremony. I then wanted to smack him up the side of the head with my hat still in my hand afterward but being in DL, couldn't.( Oh, sorry Mr. Soros, didn't know it was you )

AZDisneyDan
12-22-2005, 12:26 PM
I can not stand cell phone usage in the park. I leave mine in the hotel room and check it during breaks or at the end of the day. We encountered a girl who was on her cell phone in the Space Mountain line and everytime the line moved she would be spaced out (pardon the pun) and would not move forward. She was on the phone all the way until she got on the ride, I had to tap her on the shoulder once to get her to move forward and she barely reacted. It was sooo rude and she was paying zero attention to anything going on around her and it drove us nuts!!! Talk about killing all the themeing and trying to remove yourself from the real world......what happen to the plaque of the train station that starts with "here you leave the world of today..."???? Just my thoughts!!

mi_mous
12-22-2005, 01:56 PM
My SIL is one of those people. She is a realtor, so she does get a lot of calls, understandably.
It was just really annoying to have her on the phone when we were on what was supposed to be a vacation.
She even got a call on the way up to Disneyland from San Diego telling her that she had to fly back to Reno to close a deal.. that same day!
So, once we checked in, I had to drive her to the airport, and then pick her back up the next day.
It was really inconveinent, and annoying.
But, what could I do?

I always turn my phone off in places that I know it would be rude to make or receive a call. I do take my phone with me to all places though, cause I know my husband will flip out if he can't get a hold of me, or I don't answer my cell phone, or the home phone. It's also a nice conveinience, but I am also respetful of others.