PDA

View Full Version : Santa photos at Disneyland...

Pages : [1] 2 3

D-lander 1956
12-21-2005, 06:32 PM
Ok, I have a beef with the Santa photos! I took my Grandson to have his first photo with Santa for CHRISTMAS, and what better place than DL for his first time. The Reindeer round up area is beautiful, Santa's photo cabin very nicely decorated and even the Santa looked real. Everything seemed great! We strolled around the area and enjoyed the CHRISTMAS atmosphere while we waited to see our photo.

We viewed the photo, it was fantastic and we decided to buy it.

BUT, here's the rub. The gal showed us 2 borders around the photo, one says, "Happy Holidays" and the other "Feliz Navidad" which means Merry Christmas in Spanish. Well, "Happy Holidays" didn't cut it for me, I asked if they had "Merry Christmas" printed on a border.

The answer, "NO, it is not politically correct!"

HUH! WHAT! All of Disneyland is decorated for CHRISTMAS for goodness sakes! I realize the holidays are for every religion or not, but they could at least offer more alternatives including "Merry Christmas"
This is just ridiculous!

If having "Merry Christmas" printed on a photo border is not PC, then they better get rid of the Christmas tree, all the decorations, the CHRISTMAS parade, and all references surrounding the park referring to CHRISTMAS.

Am I being too sensitive??:confused:

ILovePoker
12-21-2005, 07:00 PM
It's the few idiots who ruin it for the rest. At my very old elementary school, we were not allowed to dress up for Halloween because it might offend someone. Instead, the idiots named it wear Black and Orange day. Then another time, there was a dance coming up around Valentine's day and wouldn't ya know it! We couldn't call it the Valentine's dance because someone might not celebrate it. It's truly getting ridiculous.:mad:

Mickey Mojo
12-21-2005, 07:06 PM
It's truly getting ridiculous.:mad:

Ain't that the truth!!

Mommy2NicknMax
12-21-2005, 07:10 PM
It's a picture with SANTA. Why on earth is it "unPC" to have Merry Christmas around a picture with SANTA???? Oh this is getting way out of hand!

Darkbeer
12-21-2005, 07:39 PM
Why not offer a THIRD option, those who want Happy Holidays can get that frame, and those who want Merry Christmas can get that phrase.

It isn't like it will be seen publically, would it ;)

http://darkbeer.smugmug.com/gallery/1048835/6/48705510/Large

Merry Christmas to ALL!!!!!!

mi_mous
12-21-2005, 08:12 PM
I personally have nothing against places saying happy holidays, afterall, Christmas isn't the only thing that is celebrated this time of year. You have Christmas, Hannukah, and Kwaanza. So, to say happy holidays, to me, is a way of saving face. How are they to know that you don't celebrate a certain holiday or not?

They should, as Dark Beer said, offer a third option, cause it isn't like anyone else is going to see it.

The CM's answer didn't sound like it should have been that way.

Don't get me wrong, I celebrate Christmas and all, but I don't have any problem with Happy Holidays, because I know that we are not the only ones that are celebrating something. (To me, it's like saying my birthday is ONLY my day, and nobody elses, so you can't have your birthday on that day either, and boy, you better not celebrate it cause it won't be a real celebration.)

True, MOST people do celebrate Christmas, but not ALL people celebrate Christmas.

We have become too politically correct with things, and it's the majority that usually loses out. Which I think isn't right, but I do not have a problem with Happy Holidays.

I don't know, call me what you will, but that is the way that I see things.

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy New Year! And may God bless us, every one!

Nancy
12-21-2005, 08:21 PM
At my childrens elementry school there was always a handful of kids that didn't celebrate any holidays so they read in the library while the school had their Christmas concert. It's all about choices. Why make the choices so limited. Let's hear it for Christmas!!:)

RStar
12-21-2005, 08:26 PM
Well, the war on Christmas is alive and well at the happiest place on earth!

I consider it "Holidays because it has all run together with Thanksgiving and New years. So I consider it all "The Holidays".

spike
12-21-2005, 08:38 PM
I consider it "Holidays because it has all run together with Thanksgiving and New years. So I consider it all "The Holidays".

What are you talking about? It started way back before Hallowween at the Wal-mart. I had to walk through the "CHRISTMAS" decorations when I went to get candy for the trick-or-treaters! Or is calling them that bad now as well? :D

disney5150s
12-21-2005, 08:41 PM
I think they should have 3 different saying also .......At least Disneyland had the Candlelight show and that was the story of the birth of Jesus and I hope no-one said anything wrong with that cause that is the best show Disney does every-year. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all

WITron
12-21-2005, 08:50 PM
What are you talking about? It started way back before Hallowween at the Wal-mart. I had to walk through the "CHRISTMAS" decorations when I went to get candy for the trick-or-treaters! Or is calling them that bad now as well? :D

My wife and I were at Target the other night doing Christmas shopping and they already have Valentine's day clothes out.

cpeak
12-21-2005, 10:31 PM
I personally have nothing against places saying happy holidays, afterall, Christmas isn't the only thing that is celebrated this time of year. You have Christmas, Hannukah, and Kwaanza. So, to say happy holidays, to me, is a way of saving face. How are they to know that you don't celebrate a certain holiday or not?

Okay saying Happy Holidays may make since at a store or restaurant or something like that. But this is a picture with Santa. Santa is not part of the Hannukah and Kwaanza celebration. Although those that celebrate Hannukah and Kwaanza may give and recieve gifts they are not "delivered" by Santa. If someone who doesn't celebrate Christmas wants a picture with Santa then they are putting themself in a position to have someone say Merry Christmas to them. To me it is implied, if you visit Santa you should not be offended by Merry Christmas.

drjones
12-22-2005, 12:01 AM
Well, the war on Christmas is alive and well at the happiest place on earth!

Thanks to Mr Tim Burton, the Holidays start with Halloween. And I wouldn't have it any other way

samkj
12-22-2005, 07:04 AM
If Merry Christmas is politically incorrect, how come Feliz Navidad isn't???

stan4d_steph
12-22-2005, 07:07 AM
If Merry Christmas is politically incorrect, how come Feliz Navidad isn't???Perhaps they assume there aren't any Spanish-speaking Jewish people?

DangerMouse
12-22-2005, 07:24 AM
Perhaps they assume there aren't any Spanish-speaking Jewish people?

I don't believe it's the Jewish people they are afraid of offending. . . :confused:

hlbtimes2
12-22-2005, 07:34 AM
Okay saying Happy Holidays may make since at a store or restaurant or something like that. But this is a picture with Santa. Santa is not part of the Hannukah and Kwaanza celebration. Although those that celebrate Hannukah and Kwaanza may give and recieve gifts they are not "delivered" by Santa. If someone who doesn't celebrate Christmas wants a picture with Santa then they are putting themself in a position to have someone say Merry Christmas to them. To me it is implied, if you visit Santa you should not be offended by Merry Christmas.

That is what I was thinking as well. I can see other things being "holiday" rather then Christmas, but its Santa!

momrek06
12-22-2005, 07:36 AM
:eek: I was at Bath & Body Works checking out, the clerk at the register next to me says to her customer "Merry Christmas" and the clerk checking me out then says to her co-worker; "We are NOT allowed to say Merry Christmas" and the clerk says right back at her "Look, if someone says it to me I am saying it back, I have said Merry Christmas for many years and I am not changing NOW"..PERIOD!!! Wow, good for her, all this P.C. crap is getting out of hand..unbelievable about "black and orange" day instead of Halloween!! WHAT NEXT!!!:~D momrek06

Mr.Bear
12-22-2005, 07:52 AM
I love it that Disneyland is taking steps to keep Disneyland for the young at heart. Myself I find it sad that this holiday was changed from the original holiday of joy and gratitude for the changing of seasons and the celebrating by sharing and being with loved ones, to a time of the year where people are arguing about it being a time of what they say it should be.
Originally this time of the year was a celebration of the first day of winter and then along came a group of people who wanted it to be based around the birth of a child and totally took away the original meaning of this time of the year.
What I am getting at is as children we only see the happiness and colors of the holidays. Children love getting gifts, seeing the fat man and singing jingle bells. This is all part of what Disneyland is to me, a place I can get away from the worlds politics and religion and just be young at heart. And I was raised a Christian and studies religion in college, so I know all the arguments Christains have about the holidays.
Can’t there be one place in this country were we just can be kids and have fun and not worry what it says around a picture? Life is too short to worry about small things like this. If you focus on things like this, before you know it the holidays will be over and you will have missed those special moments with your loved ones.
The choice is yours, worry about something out of your control, or watch your children play and have fun. You can’t do both.

Happy first full day of winter

Bolivar
12-22-2005, 08:54 AM
You know, I do agree with the general tenor of the complaints here; however, in this case I think they are off the mark. It is a picture with Santa, they clearly aren't afraid to acknowledge Christmas. Who knows what the thought process was to only offer those two boarders but I'm sure it wasn't that Merry Christmas isn't PC. Despite what the CM said.

tod
12-22-2005, 09:06 AM
There is no "War on Christmas." Fox "News" made it up because the real news is skewing bad for the Republicans.
You ever notice that people call things "Politically Correct" only when they don't agree with them? Smokers call a ban on smoking in public places "politically correct." Non-smokers don't.
Why would you get your picture taken with Santa if not for Christmas? Even if some people are offended by the mention of Christmas -- I don't believe there are such people, but let's postulate some, just for fun -- would they get their picture taken with Santa?

--t

Noah
12-22-2005, 09:26 AM
If "Merry Christmas" is offered in the Spanish language but not in the English language, that is plain wrong. Considering the candle lighting ceremony is a religious program and I applaud Disney for offering the program to the general public, I cannot imagine that they would not offer a "Merry Christmas" border for the santa photos. Perhaps it was a oversight or lack of departmental communications. I urge all those who would like to see that border offered to submit a letter to Disneyland Resort communications via letter or e-mail (snail mail letters are always taken a bit more serious in my book) although it probably will not help for this Christmas of 05 hopefully in 06 they will offer the border of "Merry Christmas" in English as well and not just Spanish.

Disneyland Guest Relations
1313 Harbor Boulevard
Post Office Box 3232
Anaheim, CA 92803

Matt Ouimet
President,
The Disneyland Resort
Post Office Box 3232
Anaheim, CA 92803

Robert Iger
Chairman and CEO,
The Walt Disney Company
500 South Buena Vista Street
Burbank, CA 91521
(818) 560-1000 - Main
(818) 560-1930 - Fax

Mrs. Newseditor44
12-22-2005, 09:46 AM
Well you know what, if the conservative Republicans want to take back Christmas, then let them. I've got a bunch of friends who are muslim and jewish who agree that not being allowed to say Merry Christmas or feel bad about it, is not right.

Why do I have to be told that its not PC to say Merry Christmas to anyone? Why do I have to be careful that I don't offend anyone? I really don't care if someone says Happy Hanukkah or Kwanzaa to me. Here at work, our chairman didn't want to put up a Christmas tree as it might offend some non-Christians. We told him that it wouldn't but he didn't want to take the chance. Well wouldn't you know, all the non-Christian students and instructors were actually upset that we couldn't have a tree...they said they enjoy this time of year as its so festive. My boss who is Muslim was even upset when he found out that we weren't allowed to have a tree. My boss loves Santa and the joy it brings to people. So what he bought a couple of fresh wreaths and pretended to be Santa (the last day of finals) bringing gifts to staff. Heck, I even have a Jewish friend who goes around this time of year saying Merry Christmas to everyone...he thinks the whole Happy Holidays saying is a joke.

The Mouse Is Back
12-22-2005, 09:46 AM
What tod said.

And if you're going to complain about anything at Santa's house at Big Thunder Ranch - complain about those @#$%^ BELLS that children and adults ring and ring and ring and ring and ring and......AAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!

:p

And yes, the prohibition on saying "Merry Christmas" is stupid, but in a PC way - not a religious one.

-Allegra-

outlaw8
12-22-2005, 09:53 AM
Am I being too sensitive??:confused:

I agree with your LAST sentence. I think your being TOO sensitive.
I took my daughter to get her picture and when I recieved the photo I saw nothing but the SMILE on her face and how beautiful it came out. I could care less what it said on it, It could've said Happy Halloween! I would've just cropped it out.

"Merry Christmas" "Feliz Navidad" "Happy Holidays" "Season's Greetings"choose whats best for you....and don't worry about the rest...