PDA

View Full Version : (AP)Autopia to get overhaul based on upcoming Pixar movie "Cars"

Pages : [1] 2

Sy-
12-21-2005, 05:08 PM
Anaheim CA(AP) Disneyland Resort Co. will be shutting down the popular Autopia ride in early February. While closed, Autopia will be receiving a makeover which will be based on Pixar/Disney's new movie "Cars". Autopia's reopening will coincide with Cars' June 9 theatrical release.

BTW.. April Fools ... Oh wait... It's not April... But, Wouldn't that be cool? :)

Chiidesu
12-21-2005, 08:19 PM
No. :|

tinker3
12-22-2005, 10:48 AM
It's nice to hear that movie will be out in June. It seems like a saw a commercial for that movie a year ago and I wondered what ever happened to it. My 5 yr old loves Cars (and of course Autopia) and collects those Cheveron cars. It would be kinda cute if they re-did the cars and maybe they talked to you or something! Does anyone know anything about the movie....who is doing the voices etc.?

Mrs. Newseditor44
12-22-2005, 10:55 AM
OMG...Richard Petty is one of the voices....

click here (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317219/fullcredits) to see full cast list

hlbtimes2
12-22-2005, 11:04 AM
It seems like a saw a commercial for that movie a year ago and I wondered what ever happened to it.

My 5 yr old loves Cars (and of course Autopia) and collects those Cheveron cars.

I've been wondering as well. It seems like its been ages since I saw a trailer for it on a DVD.

My 3 year old has a HUGE collection of Chevron cars. He asked Santa for one for Christmas. I believe Santa knows where to get the new tanker truck, and will be placing one under our tree. :p

NorCalDisney
12-22-2005, 11:06 AM
I'm sure the question on everyone's mind is if the makeover will be to the queue and/or also to the cars?

Disnerd
12-22-2005, 06:40 PM
There is no make over. This is an early April Fools joke. I don't think Chevron, Autopias sponser is going to give up their advertising to Pixar.

TowerofTerror
12-22-2005, 09:39 PM
well i hope they just redo the cars and maybe change line que.

Matt Hamand
12-23-2005, 08:02 AM
There is no make over. This is an early April Fools joke. I don't think Chevron, Autopias sponser is going to give up their advertising to Pixar.
Why do they have to give up their sposorship?

Can't it just be "Chevron Presents the TommorrowLand Autopia" with cars themed to the movie.

What would Chevron object to? More people riding the ride and seeing the Chevron name all over the place?

cstephens
12-23-2005, 10:34 AM
well i hope they just redo the cars and maybe change line que.

Why would they need to redo the cars? The vehicles in "Cars" look an awful lot like the Chevron cars as it is.

hbquikcomjamesl
12-23-2005, 11:03 AM
The closest I ever got to riding Autopia was over three decades ago, and I changed my mind about a third of the way through the queue.

I really don't understand the appeal of it, particularly for those who already drive. To me, driving is an unfortunate necessity of living in a place that doesn't have adequate public transportation. Not something I do for fun. During my Hawaii vacation lastt month, I not only depended on TheBus on Oahu; I also depended on the brand new Maui Bus System during my 2 days on Maui, and only drove while on the Big Island. And a week ago, when my stomach was still in a very fragile state from a 3-day bout of gastroenteritis, when driving to and from the evening's concert at Disney Hall (a hilarious evening of PDQ Bach) might have been less taxing on my stomach, I still left my car in Long Beach, and took MetroRail there and back (and tried the downtown Daily Grill -- not bad!).

MermaidHair
12-23-2005, 11:30 AM
I really don't understand the appeal of it, particularly for those who already drive.

I know that Disneyland tries to appeal to all ages in most of the rides, especially the earlier ones but I do think this ride probably appeals most to the younger set who do not drive yet. Before I figured out this was a joke ( yeah, I am gullible, even when it says "April Fools":geek: ) I was really bummed that my kids would not get to go on this ride when we visit in March.

Disney Vault
12-23-2005, 12:57 PM
I would love for Autopia to get a long refurb and gets updated with new cars. But I don't want to see any connection to the pixar movie.

mckygirl99
12-23-2005, 02:42 PM
I thought there was a rumor of a possible Test Track type ride (like at Epcot) that would be based on the movie CARS. Rumor has it that it will go into DCA.

Or could this just be wishful thinking??

kisroo
12-23-2005, 03:35 PM
I don't think I would be happy if they overhauled Autopia. But, I didn't think I would like the "new" Autopia either.

I mainly posted so I could ask if anyone else thinks it's very cool that this movie will have "Click and Clack-The Tappet Brothers in it?? I'm excited just about that! :cool:

For any of you who aren't big Car Talk fans CLICK HERE (http://www.cartalk.com/menus/show.html)!

~kisroo:)

Disney Vault
12-23-2005, 04:26 PM
I thought there was a rumor of a possible Test Track type ride (like at Epcot) that would be based on the movie CARS. Rumor has it that it will go into DCA.

Or could this just be wishful thinking??
They aren't going to be building that any time soon because they instead are going with the incredbiles attraction for DCA. But maybe after that they will again think about building a cars test track type ride.

potzbie
12-23-2005, 07:15 PM
My!
So Disney has done it again?
To create a movie, based on a ride?

First, "Pirates of the Caribbean."

Now, "Autopia"?
("Curse of the black oil change"?)

:)

Johnny Depp will surely play the part of Captain Jack Spare-Roll.

;)

Disneyfreak
12-23-2005, 11:36 PM
NO MORE PIXAR/MOVIE OVERLAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We desperately need original rides now.

potzbie
12-24-2005, 09:19 AM
[QUOTE=Disneyfreak
NO MORE PIXAR/MOVIE OVERLAYS!!!!!!
We desperately need original rides now.[/QUOTE]

Q. What is an "original" ride?

Snow White?
Peter Pan?
Mr. Toad?
Alice in Wonderland?
Casey Jr.?
Dumbo?

No, those aren't original.
I don't think DISNEY has the capability of creating original [anything].
It is all derivative of something else or someone else.

sunfun94
12-24-2005, 09:28 AM
Wow... ok, it was a joke why are some getting so heated on this?

If you dont like the rides or the movies they are based on (wether they were Disney or not) ...why is it that you are fans of the Disney parks? Dont go then.. and the lines will be shorter for my family and I... LOL.. :D

mckygirl99
12-24-2005, 12:35 PM
Wow... ok, it was a joke why are some getting so heated on this?

If you dont like the rides or the movies they are based on (wether they were Disney or not) ...why is it that you are fans of the Disney parks? Dont go then.. and the lines will be shorter for my family and I... LOL.. :D

HA HA

Disney Vault
12-24-2005, 08:52 PM
I used to also say I didn't want anymore rides based off of pixar. But then I thought about it and remembered every ride based on pixar movies have been amazing imo. It's tough to be a bug is the best 3D movie ever, Buzz lightyear is so much fun, the new monsters inc looks like it is one of the best c ticket dark rides built.

But I still would like some original rides built but I don't mind them building the pixar ones too.

PeoplemoverMisser
12-26-2005, 09:17 AM
It seems like a saw a commercial for that movie a year ago and I wondered what ever happened to it.

I was saying the same thing about Chicken Little. It seems like the trailers started coming out about 2002. I just figured it had been-and-gone from theaters but I had missed it (not unuaual with 2 kids under 28 months).

Opus1guy
12-26-2005, 10:58 AM
Actually until recently, Hong Kong Disneyland was supposed to get a completely new and technologically advanced version (with electric cars, many more show elements and other neat goodies) of the Autopia based on "Cars." But due to the long time it was going to take to complete development and finish the project and the urgent need of new attractions at this attraction-short park...it was recently scrapped in favor of a quick and dirty standard Autopia attraction (to open next year, I believe).

The Cars Autopia was pretty public knowledge and was not only on Hong Kong Disneyland's official web site as a Future Attraction for some time, but was also discussed on many Disney bulletin boards.

splashmtngurl
12-26-2005, 12:27 PM
to my understanding dca's newest attraction being planned is rockin rollar coaster--i havent heard anything at all about the incredibles attraction or the test track atttraction. the rockin rollar coaster was confirmed by a cast member but i suppose its possible even they arent sure....