PDA

View Full Version : Space Mountain Rehab Changes

Uncle Dick
03-25-2002, 12:24 AM
I rode Space Mountain today and noticed a few changes that are worth mentioning. First of all, the bad news. No new rockets and the audio still doesn't work. Also, the interior of the mountain looked lighter to me, but that could have been an issue with my eyes adjusting to the dark or something.

The "Intergalactic Probe" is no longer DL-2000. It is now *gasp* DL-3000. I guess the Disney folks figured that the year 2002 called for a higher number. There's all new non-slip flooring throughout the load area and rubber thingys fill in the gap between the loading platform and rockets so no one can get stuck down there anymore.

There seems to be a new effect on the big lift hill. Instead of the noisy misting effect, there's something else. Unfortunately, I was sitting way in the back so I couldn't quite tell what was going on and it's possible the machine was just temporarily broken. Still, it looked different somehow.

As zapppop noted earlier, the walls around the exit speedramp seem a bit narrower for some reason. That is all.

bluepearl
03-25-2002, 02:29 AM
My friend and I waited 1.5 hours in line for Space Mountain, in hopes of seeing the new rockets and hearing the new music. Imagine our disappointment to see that the rockets were the same. I'm glad they painted the tired-looking probe and re-did the flooring, but I really wanted to try out those new rockets!

I came to the assumption that the new rockets will be coming for Disneyland's 50th? I didn't get to talk to the people at the booth that displayed the new rockets during Cast Blast, so other than what the rockets look like, I don't know too much else.

Also...on that lift, nothing seemed different to me. We got seated in the very first row of the first car, and it was the same red light we usually see, sans the mist.

malin
03-25-2002, 04:29 AM
Its a good thing that Disney are getting things up to standard for my visit in November.

tabacco
03-25-2002, 01:03 PM
The lift was the same, but with no mist in front of the light.

Also, the music was down systemwide (no cars had it), which makes me wonder if that means they're making changes to the system in preparation for the new rockets. A couple of people now have said that they've seen the new rockets backstage, and it seems weird to me that they'd have them sitting around if they're not going in until 2005.

Also, I like the new floor. It has a cool rainbow kinda effect where the lights shine on it :)

bluepearl
03-25-2002, 08:56 PM
My friend was asking if there was going to be another refurb for Space, but I didn't know for sure. Wish I had asked about when those rockets would be installed.

disneyholic family
03-25-2002, 09:07 PM
maybe they'll take the ride down to finish the refurbishments after the easter rush and before the summer...

Darkbeer
03-25-2002, 09:23 PM
I'd doubt it, it would be posted on the Refurbishment schedule, more likely this winter, after the summer crowds die down....

SpaceNut
03-26-2002, 01:02 PM
OK yall, The mist is still there but the first few days up from rehab it wasn't available.....New rockets are coming in as soon as they are done building them...no idea when that is and most of the rehab work you can't see...inside the moutain...

iAmJacksDLand
03-26-2002, 03:53 PM
I didn't notice the intergalatic-probe paint job - wow!

I was sooo mad when the space mountain car audio didn't work! New cars seem great, but how bout they get the old ones working! I went to city hall...

Uncle Dick
03-26-2002, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by iAmJacksDLand
I didn't notice the intergalatic-probe paint job - wow!

As I was going down the final ramp to board my rocket, Space Mountain broke down for about 10 minutes. When the evac lights came on, you could clearly see where the edge of the new paint job met the old probe. They redid the whole "DL-2000", not just the "2". I love it when they do little things like that. :)

zapppop
03-26-2002, 04:16 PM
The next rehab is scheduled for September/October.
That's when the new rockets go in.

bluepearl
03-26-2002, 05:15 PM
Ah...so the new rockets are still being built and may come in around fall? Well, that would be a pretty good time, seeing as the crowds thin out, especially in October, which makes for quick wait times in Space.

tikiboy
03-26-2002, 06:50 PM
Is there a possibility of putting the new rockets in as they are finished?

I remember when the Peoplemover went from solid colors to the more futuristic gray with a color stripe. For a long while, they had both out on the track.

Could it be the same with space?

Uncle Dick
03-26-2002, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by tikiboy
Is there a possibility of putting the new rockets in as they are finished?

I remember when the Peoplemover went from solid colors to the more futuristic gray with a color stripe. For a long while, they had both out on the track.

Could it be the same with space?
I was thinking that they should probably put 'em out there as soon as possible, but that they will probably wait to put 'em all in at once so they can hype the "all new rockets".

Matterhorn Fan
03-26-2002, 07:51 PM
They won't put the new rockets in as they're available. Imagine how many people would get to the front of the line and ask to wait for the new rocket (wouldn't you?). It would be nothing but a huge mess. If they mix old and new rockets, they may as well just run one rocket in there.

Nigel2
03-26-2002, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by iAmJacksDLand

I was sooo mad when the space mountain car audio didn't work! New cars seem great, but how bout they get the old ones working! I went to city hall...

Well odds are that isn't high on their list since they are just going to be taken out anyway.

Also I bet one of the reasons they don't mix the cars is becuase they haven't done saftey tests on a full set of the cars on the tracks. If they were the exact same cars with just a paint job then we would probably see them on the tracks as well as the old style.

MonorailMan
03-28-2002, 04:31 AM
Just To Check out the changes to SpaMnt, I'm popping into DL today. :)

Any clue on what different on the new rockets, besides the new sound system?