PDA

View Full Version : When was the last time you plussed a Cast Member's day?

Pages : [1] 2 3

JookyG
12-20-2005, 03:51 PM
We all hear about how wonderful CMs are supposed to be and how their job is to plus the experience of the guests, bla bla bla. What we don't often think about is that it goes both ways. I've worked in customer service, and I know how painful and thankless that can be sometimes, so my question is...

When was the last time you plussed the day of a Cast Member?

I'm not talking about always saying please and thank you, and always following CM directions--those things are a given. Good Mouseketeers always do that.

What I'm talking about is going above and beyond that to improve the day of a Cast Member in return for the times your day at Disneyland was made better by someone. I'm talking about taking an extra moment to say, "How do you do?" or giving a compliment or just an extra big smile to let them know you appreciate all the work they do and all the crap they put up with.

We tried so hard to plus the day of the woman who embroidered our names on our Mickey ears, because she did such a good job and has been doing it for years. I could tell she wasn't happy, but I later found out that Disney is replacing all the manual embroidery machines with computerized ones that take 3 times as long and require no skill, so it was no wonder. I wish I could have tipped her.

No matter how crazy things get in the park, I've noticed that the CMs never seem to rush in their jobs, whether it's attractions, food or retail. They work methodically, they deal with each guest in turn, and they always seem to have time for a pleasant exchange with the guests, if not a small conversation, even when lines are long. CMs are people too, and are prone to bad days just like you or me.

Instead of getting angry and reporting them because you feel like you need to be treated like royalty, why not try to improve the situation and give a little back? Try it, it's fun! It makes you feel good. It makes the CMs feel good. Everyone feels good and it's a magical day. Awwwwww...

Disclaimer: I am not nor have I ever been a Disney CM.

samkj
12-20-2005, 04:23 PM
I did this at our last visit to the Park. I also make a point of informing supervisors for excellent service by CMs. I don't expect special treatment, but the CMs at DLR make us and our children feel special.

spike
12-20-2005, 06:48 PM
I used to work for another amusement park in the area for 10 years. I can tell you there is nothing in world like being called into your supervisors office and haveing a letter read to you that was sent in by a guest saying how helpful or nice you were to them on their visit. Being a supervisor when I left when I read them to my employees it made me feel good as well.

MammaSilva
12-20-2005, 07:37 PM
We recently got an opportunity to do this for a bus person...he just ROCKED ... he helped make a magical experience even MORE magical....his style and sense of humor was so incredible! As we were leaving I asked for a hug and told him how he was "da bomb" and how much we loved being served by him... he gave me big hugs and posed for pics! Ohana once again :D

SoCalSteven
12-20-2005, 07:58 PM
Last time my g/f and I went on Space Mtn, there was some crazy woman that didn't get the way people were being loaded onto the ride. She was waiting for the front and she thought she was getting skipped. She cursed the poor CM as she was getting on the ride.

After she was gone, we talked with the CM (we were waiting for the front too) and learned why it took longer that you'd think it should to get a front row seat, each of the CMs loading has their own group of people waiting for the front.

We saw how foolish the woman was, and went to City Hall to file a compliment for the CM.

disneyhound
12-21-2005, 09:40 AM
After reading from a CM, here at MousePlanet, how great it is for a CM to get a "compliment form", and how a supervisor will read it aloud in front of other CM's, we try to submit a Compliment Form for one standout CM each day we are at the park. It is not hard to come across a CM that is truly going above and beyond the call. We always make sure we stop at City Hall before we leave for the day, and fill out a form! Takes less time you would think. You can't take the form with you, so you need to fill it out at the counter.:) A simple way of saying thanks to one of the people who help make your visit so sepcial!

danyoung
12-21-2005, 12:15 PM

I'd like to think that I try to do this a lot, every trip. Sometimes it's just a smile or a thank you, some times it's a covertly rolled eye in reference to some guest's outrageous behavior. I check my brain at the gate just like any other tourist, but I try not to forget that some of the most important elements of the Disney experience are not robotic - they're real folks trying to get through a work day.

Bolivar
12-21-2005, 01:26 PM
Sadly I have to admit that I never thought of writing a compliment letter and didn't know anything about a form.

What is the best way to do that two weeks after a trip?

Nancy
12-21-2005, 05:11 PM
[QUOTE=
QUOTE]

When we went to Disneyland in Aug. we took note of the special CM's we really liked. We knew we were going back in Nov. so we brought some of the 50th napkins home to make orniments. We made about 14 to bring back to the park to give the CM's. Everyone but one of the favorites from our Aug. trip were working that week. We also found some other deserving CM's. They all seemed happy to get them (they turned out rather cute I must say!!)
The kids were so excited to give them away too.:)

GeminiAngel
12-21-2005, 05:20 PM
We only get to visit yearly. Every single trip I always find a lead and tell them what great service I got from whoever waited on me.
I also report my happiness to city hall.

Sometimes a CM looks a little down, those are the ones I love to surprise with a compliment to their lead.

couple of years ago I handed out little thank you cards "from the Rileys of Las Vegas". to some of the CM's. I carried those in my fanny pack.

splashmtngurl
12-21-2005, 06:20 PM
I have always felt bad that cm's do everythign they can (most of the time) to make a guests stay more enjoyable yet the favor is very rarely returned. I know that on one hand its they're job, they are payed and everything but still.....i can only imagine how frustrating it could be....anyways i always try to thank a cast member when they make our stay more enjoyable or at least start up a conversation with them at the register if they dont seem to busy or whatever....at least that way i know im not among those guests that go to crazy lengths to make other people's day miserable.

WITron
12-21-2005, 08:33 PM
Sadly I have to admit that I never thought of writing a compliment letter and didn't know anything about a form.

What is the best way to do that two weeks after a trip?

You can either call City Hall or you can send an email.

Bolivar
12-21-2005, 09:48 PM
And where might that email be addressed?

asharpcook
12-21-2005, 11:37 PM
I must be more tired than I thougt...I had to read the title 3 times to figure out what 'plussed' really meant...
I truly enjoyed the CM's during our trip over Thanksgiving. They were polite, helpful, friendly, and really made the best out of a crazy holiday weekend. I saw some CM's having to take a lot of guff from some disgruntled visitors, but by and large they all handled it with a polite smile. The CM's can really make the visit a joy.
AS:~D

tod
12-22-2005, 09:13 AM
The day before Who Wants To Be A Millionaire -- Play It! closed, we sent a BIG basket of muffins and cookies to them. (We had LOTS of fun trying to get the basket delivered to the right place, too. :rolleyes: )

The next day, when we went in for the last show(s), Cast Members we didn't know walked up and thanked us for the goodies, and some kept a lookout for The Lovely Mrs. tod so she could get into the packed house for the last show.

We felt good about that.

--t

JookyG
12-22-2005, 09:17 AM
Wow, you guys all ROCK! I didn't even think to submit a compliment form at City Hall, but next time I will make a point of it.

ameryth74
12-22-2005, 03:26 PM
I also make a point to fill out at least one compliment form per trip in City Hall... it makes me feel good to know they will feel validated... and it causes me to look for the magic in them all day long... and you see a lot more of it when you are looking for it. :)

disneyhound
12-22-2005, 06:20 PM
...it causes me to look for the magic in them all day long... and you see a lot more of it when you are looking for it. :)
We feel the same way, we always bring a piece of paper and pencil so we can jot down the CM's name, location and time. A couple years ago, we stopped at City Hall during the day to fill out a "compliment form", after this really nice CM helped my dd find just what she was looking for in the Emporium. Then later in the day, when we were loaded into the Matterhorn bobsleds, we got stopped just before entering the mountain after leaving the loading area. We sat there for several minutes, then a CM came over and told us that the ride needed to be reset, and we should take off soon. The CM talked with us for about five minutes, very funny CM. Told us some fun mis-adventure stories of the job. Anyway, we stopped again later that night at City Hall... We get so much enjoyment from the park; special CM's need to be rewarded.

leota's necklace
12-26-2005, 08:52 PM
Has anyone ever had difficulty submitting a compliment at City Hall? I ask because we make a point of turning in at least one compliment for each day of our visit; but the last time I tried to do it, the CM at City Hall gave me the hairy eyeball and asked if the CM I wanted to compliment really did something extraordinary. She told me they were probably just doing their job. I asked her to kindly do her job, and just hand over the darn form, thank you very much.

I'd never seen anything like it in my life. I worked retail for almost fifteen years, and I never would have tried to talk someone out of giving kudos to a coworker. I often wonder how much praise the CM's might not be getting, because it's being censored at the source.

jennia
12-26-2005, 09:17 PM
This probably sounds very Pollyanna, but I try to do that every time we go. I have to admit I am HORRIBLE with names so I really need to toss a pen and post it notes in my pocket or someplace because I mean to remember the CM's names and don't but I *do* make a point of verbally giving the CMs who go out of their way for us an EXTRA big thank you and smile. I'm also the guest who nicely places the seatbelt over the side of the bobsled on the Matterhorn when I'm done for the next guest so the CM doesn't have to do it and little things like that.

I guess it is sort of like the opposite of the "evil" AP holders. I'm the AP holder who feels like I need to give just a little bit extra because I get to visit the park so often. It is also a great example for my kid who I'm happy to say is REALLY catching on to my way of doing things! :D

I love Peter Pan
12-26-2005, 10:41 PM
There is this one CM we see often after Fantasmic. She works either in the walkway infront of or through the River Belle. I don't remember er name and feel terrible because she was a very nice person. She's blonde (I think) and very loud. Does anyone know who I'm talking about? She was very fun to talk to while she was directing traffic while we were waiting for the crowd to die down after the show to leave our table at the River Belle.

JookyG
12-30-2005, 11:59 AM
Has anyone ever had difficulty submitting a compliment at City Hall? I ask because we make a point of turning in at least one compliment for each day of our visit; but the last time I tried to do it, the CM at City Hall gave me the hairy eyeball and asked if the CM I wanted to compliment really did something extraordinary. She told me they were probably just doing their job. I asked her to kindly do her job, and just hand over the darn form, thank you very much.

That's hilarious! I love your response to City Hall! Yeah, the compliement box probably gets "stuffed" by friends and family of CMs, and maybe you were talking to a supervisor or something, but that's not the point.

disneyperson
12-30-2005, 12:19 PM
We talk with CMs every visit and regularly submit compliments at City Hall. We always say please and thankyou when ordering food and thank the maitenance workers in the rest rooms. On our last visit we thanked a busboy who cleared a table for us and he looked so surprised and pleased that anyone had noticed him. He'd been working like crazy non-stop.It shocks me that some guests won't even throw away their own trash.
When Zero was little, she used to ask regular CMs to sign her autograph book. They loved it. Some of the autographs are really funny,like the one from,"Bob,the Super Cool Very Handsome Toon Town Clean Up Dude".
There are quite a few CMs who remember us from previous visits, particularly on Indy and the HM. Zero always wears her sword and last time an Indy CM we've bantered with before called out to her across the loading area, "Back again, Milady? And armed ? Soon,we will duel!" Sure enough,later that day, he snuck up behind her and pulled her sword out of her scabbard. They dueled ,she with the scabbard, until he cried "Parle!"

JeffG
12-30-2005, 03:45 PM

At the risk of getting seriously flamed, I have to say that I think the City Hall CM had kind of a point. I'm guessing that she was probably a bit wary of the compliment because of the tendency of some in the fan community to go over the top when it comes to complimenting CMs. You said it yourself that you walk in and write up compiments every day, which really does seem pretty excessive. It even makes me wonder if you got the reaction that you did because the CM recognized you.

In response to the primary question in this thread, I absolutely make every effort to be polite, respectful, friendly, and cheerful as much as possible when interacting with castmembers at Disneyland. I also do the same when interacting with service employees anywhere else that I go. Written compliments, comments to supervisors, letters to the company, or other such responses are something that I will only do when someone goes way above the call of duty to provide some extraordinary level of service. To be honest, I can probably count on one hand the number of times that I've felt compelled to do so at Disneyland.

I suppose I just get a bit uncomfortable with threads like this one or on other occasions when it starts to seem like some in the fan community are viewing castmembers more like altruistic volunteers than paid employees. Having worked at theme parks myself, I certainly recognize the hard work involved and I am very appreciative of the quality of service that I typically receive at Disney's parks. I feel that the best way that I can show that is by always being kind and respectful in my dealings with the CMs and, probably most importantly, by continuing to patronize the parks, thus doing my part to help keep the CMs employed.

-Jeff

leota's necklace
12-30-2005, 10:33 PM
At the risk of getting seriously flamed, I have to say that I think the City Hall CM had kind of a point. I'm guessing that she was probably a bit wary of the compliment because of the tendency of some in the fan community to go over the top when it comes to complimenting CMs. You said it yourself that you walk in and write up compiments every day, which really does seem pretty excessive. It even makes me wonder if you got the reaction that you did because the CM recognized you.

Look, I'm not going in there as a simpering fangirl. If I don't have a noteworthy interaction, I don't write up a form. But my husband and I have both worked in customer service, and we know how important it is to be appreciated and recognized for hard work. If someone makes a seriously positive (or negative) impression on us, they get a compliment or complaint. I really don't think it's a good idea to try and cull the forms before they get written. Let the guest do their thing, it makes them feel better, and if it's a compliment for extreme efficiency in breathing, or a complaint for the the Blue Bayou being too dark, well, then they can file it in the circular file. Her attitude made me feel like she thought I was an idiot, not a guest, not even a customer...and I felt horrible for the CM's at that moment, if that was the attitude they have to grind against every day.

A CM made me feel fantastic and special? You bet your Aunt Fanny they're getting a written thank you from me, c/o their employer. The standout CMs deserve much, much more than that.