PDA

View Full Version : Disneyland Hotel Sign?

neffyh
12-19-2005, 06:09 PM
Why is it gone. Was there like a fight between Anaheim and DL about it. Did it distract the nearby neighborhoods?

Darkbeer
12-19-2005, 06:20 PM
Part of the agreement between the city of Anaheim and Disney when the expansion project was approved in the 1990's as that Disney would conform with current sign laws. They got a deadline of December 31st, 2005 to remove the signs.

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/California/anaheim/title18zoning/chapter18114disneylandresortspecificplan?f=templat es (http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/California/anaheim/title18zoning/chapter18114disneylandresortspecificplan?f=templat es)$fn=altmain-nf.htm$q=%5Band%3Aoutdoor%20advertising%5D%20$x=se rver$3.0#LPHit1 (http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/California/anaheim/title18zoning/chapter18114disneylandresortspecificplan?f=templat es$fn=altmain-nf.htm$q=%5Band%3Aoutdoor%20advertising%5D%20$x=se rver$3.0#LPHit1)

Note: Selected sections of the code only...

.0202 Administrative Provisions - Sign Regulations. The location, size, type, construction and all other matters relating to signs in the Specific Plan area, with the exception of theme parks and retail entertainment centers in the Theme Park and Hotel District, which shall be exempt from the provisions of this section and other regulations contained within the Anaheim City Code governing signs, shall be regulated and controlled exclusively by the provisions of this chapter except to the extent reference is expressly made in this chapter to any other provision of the Anaheim Municipal Code. In the event of any conflict between the provisions of this chapter and any other provisions of the Anaheim Municipal Code so referenced herein, the provisions of this chapter shall govern and prevail. All signs and all applications shall therefore be exclusively administered by the Planning Director except those signs which may be sought in conjunction with a conditional use permit or a zone variance.

.01 Legal Nonconforming Signs-Continuation and Termination. Any legal nonconforming sign or sign structure in existence on the effective date of this chapter which violates or otherwise does not conform to the provisions hereof shall be removed, altered or replaced so as to conform to the requirements of this chapter (hereinafter the "abatement") either:

(a) within twelve (12) years from and after the date said sign first becomes nonconforming to the provisions of this chapter, or

(b) on or before December 31, 2005, whichever is later; provided, however, in no event shall such abatement be required unless and until the owner of said sign has received not less than one (1) year's advance written notice from the Planning Director of the City requiring the removal or alteration of sign. Notwithstanding the foregoing:...

.0603. Prohibited Signs. The following types of signs shall be prohibited in this Zone:

.24 Roof signs.

neffyh
12-19-2005, 06:34 PM
That Sucks!!! Thats a very cool design they should keep it and put like in the parking lot or something. Its a historic sign and will be worth a lot 50 more years from now when DL turns 100.

spike
12-19-2005, 06:55 PM
Did this have something to do with Disney not wanting any outside buildings being visible from inside the park? Seems to me that I heard from a friend of mine that worked there a while ago that is why the admin builing behind the park is only a few stories tall but long.:confused:

The Mouse Is Back
12-19-2005, 08:02 PM
That sign was one of the only links that remained to the "old days".

It still torques me off that they got rid of the original Disneyland sign. Every time I drive by the new one I curse the unknown person or persons who made that stupid decision.

-Allegra-

twist1980
12-19-2005, 09:53 PM
I noticed that when I came in also. On the 13th about half of the old sign was still up. On the 18th it was completly gone. I figured that they were re-doing it or something. Sadly, I was wrong. :crying:

Disney Village
12-19-2005, 10:29 PM
I wonder if John Stamos will want to buy the Disneyland Hotel sign to add to his collection?

Osky
12-20-2005, 12:06 AM
I wonder if John Stamos will want to buy the Disneyland Hotel sign to add to his collection?

It's funny how this thread mirrored this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=51228), even including a Stamos reference... :p

Opus1guy
12-20-2005, 10:16 AM
It's funny how this thread mirrored this thread (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=51228), even including a Stamos reference... :p

Yeah. It's like déjà vu all over again!

;)

Phantom2006
12-21-2005, 03:15 AM
That sign was one of the only links that remained to the "old days".

It still torques me off that they got rid of the original Disneyland sign. Every time I drive by the new one I curse the unknown person or persons who made that stupid decision.

-Allegra-

Same here about the "old days", but also the old parking lot. I remember when i was little and driving into the parking lot, and seeing disneyland ahead of you.

SandraVB79
12-21-2005, 07:15 AM
I am sure there are still people alive who remember orange trees being on the place where Disneyland is now...