PDA

View Full Version : QUESTION? Is DCA Really That Bad?

malin
03-24-2002, 05:44 AM
I will be heading to the Disneyland resort for the first time in about four years this November.It will be my first time to DCA.And just wanted to know is Disney's California Adventure really that bad.

I have read a lot of reviews and looked at a lot of photos and what I can't understand is why people hate this park so much.

The parks got a lot of great fun attractions.
A few interesting looking shows.
Some great theming
And looks a lot better than Knotts or Universal Studios.

So I just want to know what it is about this park that readers on MousePlanet seem to hate so much.

Also do you think that Im wasting my time by visiting this new park?

justagrrl
03-24-2002, 06:31 AM
No - it's not that bad. We have a lot of fun. My dh prefers it over dland. :eek:

Go and have fun.

Darkbeer
03-24-2002, 06:37 AM
Based on ratings given by individuals at www.themeparkinsider.com, DCA is rated 29th out of 34th parks listed.

Now, DCA is an OK park, and you won't "waste" your time by going there, but it has about the same value as USH, Knott's Sea World, etc.....

MonorailMan
03-24-2002, 07:01 AM
No DCA isn't that bad. Just don't expect another Disneyland. I had a lot of fun at DCA last Tues. :)

cemeinke
03-24-2002, 07:15 AM
I enjoy DCA. I don't know if I'd pay $45 to see it though.

If this is a choice between Disneyland and DCA, go to Disneyland. Come back later when DCA is developed a bit more.

If your a big Disney Geek, well then you'll have to go if nothing else so you can render your own opinion of the place on these boards and too your friends back home. "You wouldn't believe what Disney is trying to pass off as a Park in California..." Coming from the UK you may want to see it to compare and contrast to Disney Studios.

If you're staying for a couple days, get a Park hopper, so you can visit both parks. See DCA if DL gets too crowded, visit DCA for lunch or dinner (If it's open that late). And best of all return to DL if you think you've seen enough of DCA. At least that way you won't feel cheated if you don't like the place.

EandCDad
03-24-2002, 07:50 AM
The readers on Mouseplanet do not hate DCA uniformly. Some like it a lot, some think its ok, some think its weak, some hate it. I agree with cemeinke, you should probably get a park hopper and then you can judge for yourself. If you are a coaster/thrill ride fan, you willl find more than enough to do for a half to a whole day. At least see Blast! and Soarin over California.

Despite an indication that there is not enough for kids to do (if you have kids), our kids (7 and 5) love Blast, Soarin, the Animation Building, Muppetts 3D, the Redwood Creek Challange Trail, Golden Zephyr, Jumpin Jellyfish, and the Carousel. You should go.

iflykc10s
03-24-2002, 08:35 AM
I agree with these posts. DCA is worth seeing when using a park hopper pass. We stayed at the Grand California Hotel and reall enjoyed the access to the park. However, Knotts has character of it's own and should not be compared to DCA. If I were restricted by time I would go to Knotts over DCA. My first trip to Disneyland and Knotts Berry Farm was in 1960 and I fell in love with both parks.
Go and enjoy! You be the judge what DCA is worth or not worth.

Gemini Cricket
03-24-2002, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by malin
So I just want to know what it is about this park that readers on MousePlanet seem to hate so much.

Also do you think that Im wasting my time by visiting this new park?
I think "hate" is a strong word. I think most MPers want to see DCA do well, it being so close to DL. DCA needs some refinements to live up to its entrance price.

malin- Being a Disney fan, you won't be wasting your time going to DCA for the first time. Please post here again after you've been to DCA. I'd love to hear your review of it. :)

DisneylandKid
03-24-2002, 11:39 AM
Disneyland = extremely, superbly, wonderfully great
DCA = great
USH = okay
Knott's = blah

Does that help?

bluepearl
03-24-2002, 11:54 AM
I wanted to put a "ditto" on MonorailMan's post - if you go into DCA without expectations of another Disneyland, you should be able to have a great time. I didn't know what to expect on my first visit there, and I really liked the park. Even though I don't spend too much time there anymore, I still like the park.

If you can, find some discounted tickets to DCA, or find ticket packages to the Resort. Have fun!

Dawnie
03-24-2002, 12:20 PM
Make your own opinions after spending a day at DCA...

I've always had a great time, whether it be with my husband and kids or a group of friends. You can it enjoy it many different ways. Would I have purchased a seperate ticket just for DCA? No, it comes with the Annual Pass now. As it should, making it an entire resort experience. So definately go with the Park Hopper as others have suggested. Don't go in thinking Disneyland.....it's a totally different experience.

Must do's and see's......

Blast!...go to the Hollywood backlot first thing and get a ticket totally worth it!
Soarin' - great sights and sounds
Screamin - Hopefully the soundtrack is working, it's better with the music last time I visited it was barely audible from the seat speakers
Millionaire Game - It's a great break from the day, and most of the time quite entertaining
Muppets - Super 3D effects, it's a little too intense for my 3 1/2 year old
Redwood Creek Challenge Trail - Must do if you have kids....
The animation building.....love it! take the personality test. Let us know who you are most like ;)
One more......my fav thing to do with friends or just the hubby is to have a glass of wine at the Golden Winery as the sun sets....very relaxing.

Have a great time and let us know how it goes!

malin
03-26-2002, 02:42 PM
Thanks you all for the advice

I will be heading to Walt Disney Studios Paris in September.And DCA in November so I will be comparing both parks.And will let you know how it go's.

tjrj
03-27-2002, 07:04 AM
Best advice that I can give-try everything for yourself. After reading many negative and some ok-though not glowing reviews of DCA here on MP, we were very pleasantly surprised by our visit in December. We-mom, dad, teenager and 10 year old, really, really enjoyed DCA. Don't pay the full $45-get a hopper or look for discounts.

Brown Monkey
03-27-2002, 09:32 AM
DCA is a great park. It has grown on me and now I really enjoy it. It has it's own style, apart from Disneyland, so first thing is not to compare the two. This way, you take it for what it is AND FOR WHAT IT SHOULD BE. DCA will never be Disneyland, and in turn, Disneyland will never be DCA. BUT, both parks have their positives.

Of course, it also has it's kinks. But alot of them have already been addressed. Slowly, but surely, they have already made improvements to several different things. So it's already a better park than it was a year ago. By the time you visit the park in November, you will notice even more changes. Possibly a better Superstar Limo, plus the opening of the new Flik's Fun Faire. So you might even be able to judge that new area before alot of us! And who knows what else they'll add from now til then.

Lately I've heard the attendance has really picked up. So make sure you get a FAST PASS for one of the rides to pass the wait in line. But if the crowds are light when you visit, then don't be afraid to take your time. This park is not exactly huge, so browse through the shops, buy some snacks, and relax and sit down in between rides. It will enhance your experience, trust me! Come to think of it, regardless of the amount of people, you should still get a FAST PASS. It's a nice benefit either way.

DCA is worth your visit. You need to try it. Even if it's just once. And even if it is just to prove to yourself that you don't like it. But I have a good feeling you will. Enjoy your trip!