PDA

View Full Version : First Time at Disneyland - advice needed

Pages : [1] 2

divasjp
12-15-2005, 10:01 PM
Hi All. So this is my first time on Mouseplanet and in less than two weeks my fabulous new boyfriend is taking me to Disneyland for my first time! He is a huge DL fan and goes several times a year.

I have never been to a theme park and am a bit nervous, which sounds absolutely asinine I know, but I really adore him and don't want to be stupid while I am there, ecspecially since he is so consumed by the park, I feel a bit out of my arena and hope I can keep up with him.

Ok, so for all the stupid questions:
What will the weather be like and what should I wear? Can I wear pearls with sneakers?

What should I expect?
I know it will be crowded as it is the week of Christmas, and I am used to living in NYC, but will these crowds be different? Crazy families and iritated tourists?

Will I get to kiss Mickey and hug Winnie the Pooh?

How should I prepare?
Are there any good sites I should go to read up on the history and magic that is Disney?
Should I start walking 6 miles a day?

I am very excited and I know once I am there I will revert 30 years and become that little kid, but I like to prepare for big events a bit.

Any good advice, Disneyland or how to impress the new man who is introducing me to his other love?

Thanks, Sara

Loteki
12-16-2005, 03:18 AM
Congrats on the fabulous new Disney boyfriend, Diva! As for stupid questions, there are generally plenty of good folk here to offer useful advice!

What will the weather be like and what should I wear? Can I wear pearls with sneakers?

Weather is highly changeable this time of year here... can be summer-sunshine one day and liquid-sunshine the next ;) Keep an eye on weather.com is probably your best bet and bring a plastic poncho if it says anything iffy (10-day forecast is partly cloudy at worst just now)

What should I expect? I know it will be crowded as it is the week of Christmas, and I am used to living in NYC, but will these crowds be different? Crazy families and iritated tourists?

Very different. Try to read a couple threads regarding avoiding crowds, hints and shortcuts from previous posters in this forum... lots of good advice. One note: FastPass is your best friend at DL!

Will I get to kiss Mickey and hug Winnie the Pooh?

If you're willing to wait ;) Mickey is generally at the front right of Main Street as you enter or always at his house in Toontown and Pooh is back past Splash Mountain. There's an information booth at the end of Main Street on the left of the hub where you can ask for exact times.

How should I prepare? Are there any good sites I should go to read up on the history and magic that is Disney? Should I start walking 6 miles a day?

Comfortable shoes (two different pairs if you're here more than a day) and this site... not only will some of the interesting threads such as this one (http://mousepad.mouseplanet.com/showthread.php?t=50369&highlight=secrets) be fun and informative but may also give you some insight into the mind of your new sweetheart.

Any good advice, Disneyland or how to impress the new man who is introducing me to his other love?

Hmm... just absorb and enjoy every moment you are there without fussing and he'll love you forever! Oh, and maybe you can also take him to...

the private bathroom that you can lock and have all to yourself!

(Inside joke from the thread posted above... I'm sure Grimm would be happy to give you the full scoop! :~D)

P.S. Pearls go with anything!!

Loteki
12-16-2005, 03:21 AM
Eek! My comment on the bathroom in the previous post came out sounding unintentionally naughty. :eek: Couldn't think of a way to rephrase so figured I'd apologize to any who misconstrued.

Crazy4DL
12-16-2005, 03:33 AM
Eek! My comment on the bathroom in the previous post came out sounding unintentionally naughty. :eek: Couldn't think of a way to rephrase so figured I'd apologize to any who misconstrued.

LOL! I was thinking :eek: as I read it! :p ;)

I was also thinking I believe I "know" this "fabulous new boyfriend" of yours, Sara. He seems to be a keeper. He is very excited too. I am totally sure you will have a wonderful time. Relax and enjoy. :)

SandraVB79
12-16-2005, 06:01 AM
I have no idea about the crowds and the weather, BUT!!

1. as said: pearls go with everything!
2. As for clothes: well, I don't know weather-wise, but make sure it are clothes that a) may get wet b) may get dirty and c) will allow you easy climbing in and out of the attraction-vehicles!
3. you don't have to practise walking. you definitely walk a lot at DL, but for some reason, there it's never that bad! and you don't walk miles and miles in a row. You walk a little, stand in line, get on the ride, walk a little, wait for the parade, walk a little, sit down to eat, ... Actually, IMHO, the standing is way worse than the walking!
4. If you go for multiple days, take multiple shoes. And do not take new shoes! Take bandaids. You will love me for that tip! ;)

You will definitely be able to kiss Mickey! (I think the shortest waiting times for that is in DCA, in the Animation-building, on sunshine plaza, ...)

If you go to DL for the first time, don't go there looking for too many things you read about.

Just go there. walk through the gate and admire Mickey in flowers. Walk under the station, walk to the beginneing of Main Street, and look at the castle! Just enjoy everything you see, enjoy the magic you see. Go back another time to look for the things behind the magic. There is only one single first-visit to Disneyland, don't spoil those magical first impressions by looking for that one thing you read about it here!!!!
(but do experience a dole whip!)

samkj
12-16-2005, 06:13 AM
You'll have a great time! My cousin is also a huge Disney fan, worked at DL while in college and live there if possible. Her husband had never been to DL before he met her. Now he loves it as much as she does, he even proposed at the park and they went back for their honeymoon.

Just enjoy every moment. It is a special magical place and I'm sure you'll love it all.

DianeM
12-16-2005, 06:33 AM
If you know you're going to revert to being a kid, you're halfway there. I would skip walking 6 miles a day - it's a little late for Disney conditioning if you're leaving in 2 weeks. I'd also skip the pearls. You can wear pearls with sneakers, but you're going to be moving around a lot, getting quickly into ride cars, and leaning against walls waiting for parades, and the quickest way to put a damper on a wonderful trip is to lose something valuable. The best way I've found to enjoy DL is to simply let it happen. You might fall madly in love with the park the first day, but it's just as likely that you'll just have a good time and wonder why so many people are obsessed with Disneyland. That's okay. As you build up memories and experiences over the years, you'll get as enthusiastic as everybody else. Dress for typical s cal winter - cool temperatures (for California - not Minnesota) with a chance of rain, don't expect really cold temps, but do have a light coat for cold snaps. It can be chilly in the morning and night. Some people rent a locker to keep their coats. I prefer to carry mine in a backpack. Oh, and it's usually not a coat - it's an oversize warm flannel shirt that can be crumpled up and come out warm and toasty. It might rain, which is fine - there is a lot to do at Disney in the rain.

Just be open to new eperiences, go with the flow, and don't worry abot impressing your boyfriend or loving the park. Just have a good time, and if something goes wrong (a long line, a ride is down, the fireworks are cancellled after you waited 2 hours, etc.), move onto the next experience and don't worry that you "missed" something. I've been going to DL for nearly 40 years, and I miss something every time I go, and have a wonderful time anyway. Have fun!!!

Thanks, Sara

BGLeduc
12-16-2005, 06:34 AM
If you don't mind a bit lnger of a wait, a really great place to meet Mickey is in his Movie Barn in Toon Town.

They typically will bring groups of less than 10 people at a time. If you happen to be the last family in your group, then its one on one; you and Mickey! You really can't linger, but they are VERY good about indulging your photo requests.

I was pleasantly shocked the first time we did this with my then 4 year old daughter.

Brian

SandraVB79
12-16-2005, 07:36 AM
Oh, and don't bother impressing your boyfriend about your DL-knowledge or so, let Disneyland impress you!! You'll have plenty of other opportunities to impress him ;)

TDBearGrrl
12-16-2005, 08:14 AM
Hi Diva!

My best advice for you is let the inner child out!! Enjoy your trip! I am certain your new boyfriend (I figured it out) will show you a great time. My partner, a long time fan, took me for the first time in 1997, after one trip all I could do was plan for when we would get our Annual Passes for the first time! Its been five years of AP's now and we couldn't we happier Disney Fans!!! Have a great time and I can't wait to hear all about your trip!!

ferliemom
12-16-2005, 08:46 AM
Hi,

HOW EXCITING!! A first timer! :p

Dress super comfortably, with lots of layers.

Wear the most comfortable shoes you own.

Take a bag with all the little extras you may need-- toiletries, advil, water, etc. If it's heavy, get a locker.

Get there EARLY and do all the stuff you are interested in in Fantasyland and ToonTown first to avoid little kid crowds and strollers when the park is really busy later.

Research ahead before you go what times all the fun stuff is showing-- Xmas parade,fireworks, etc.-- and plan to see them! Don't miss either of those two!

Ask castmembers everything! They're sooo nice and helpful. Ask them where to go to find a parade seat, how far in advance, what ride might have short lines right now, etc. Ask them to take your picture. Take lots and lots and lots of pictures.

Don't forget to stop and "smell the roses"! Relax, eat an ice cream, kiss your nice boyfriend,etc! :D

Have fun!!

sriggins
12-16-2005, 08:59 AM
This new boyfriend sounds wonderful. Congratulations! :)

sriggins
12-16-2005, 09:03 AM
You folks are sooo nice and helpful, thank you :)

Stupid_American
12-16-2005, 09:07 AM
Take her to Blue Bayou!

sriggins
12-16-2005, 09:13 AM
Take her to Blue Bayou!

Reserved that two weeks ago :) All of the advice is great as though I have been 1000 times, it is rarely with a female so all of those little details are awesome.

The fact she signed up and is asking questions is even more awesome and why I dig her so much :)

I Heart Disneyland!
12-16-2005, 09:21 AM

Even if you do say so yourself, eh?? ;) ;)

I Heart Disneyland!
12-16-2005, 09:26 AM
Okay Sara, now to answer your question! :)

Just go and enjoy yourself. Let the DL guru lead the way because we all have our special things we do at DL when we get there. It's a very ritualistic thing! ha! Some of us like to go down Main Street and look ahead at the castle (that's me and hubby) and some get on the railroad and take it to a special place. Just have a wonderful time, enjoy the Christmas decor, and let that man of yours show you this place he loves so much. You will have a great time, I know you will!!!!

divasjp
12-16-2005, 10:18 AM

Yes you are! You've brought so much magic into my life already, I can't wait to see what DL brings!

To everyone else - thanks for the advice. I will respond later tonight when I am not wrangling singers at work.

Thanks for keeping Steve occupied and informed on the ways of women!

Cheers, Sara

TDBearGrrl
12-16-2005, 11:04 AM
Yes you are! You've brought so much magic into my life already, I can't wait to see what DL brings!

AAAWWWW!!!
:crying:;):crying:

I can't wait to hear all about the trip!!

Crazy4DL
12-16-2005, 11:04 AM

Cheers, Sara

awwww :crying: How cute is that? I love it.

We Hearts are doing our best to keep that man in line while you are busy. It is a hard job I tell you. :p ;)

You two are going to have such a fun trip.

Crazy4DL
12-16-2005, 11:05 AM
Leslie! we are two saps!! :p :crying: ;)

TDBearGrrl
12-16-2005, 11:15 AM
Leslie! we are two saps!! :p :crying: ;)

I couldn't possibly be in better sappy company!!;);)

Crazy4DL
12-16-2005, 11:17 AM
I couldn't possibly be in better sappy company!!;);)

Right back at ya! :) ;)

Oh oh, someone is going to think we are an item too :D :p ;)

PragmaticIdealist
12-16-2005, 11:53 AM
I have never been to a theme park and am a bit nervous, which sounds absolutely asinine I know, but I really adore him and don't want to be stupid while I am there, ecspecially since he is so consumed by the park, I feel a bit out of my arena and hope I can keep up with him.

What should I expect?
I know it will be crowded as it is the week of Christmas, and I am used to living in NYC, but will these crowds be different? Crazy families and iritated tourists?

Should I start walking 6 miles a day?

Thanks, Sara

Congratulations, Sara.

This new beau of yours seems to have good taste, and I am sure your and he will enjoy yourselves thoroughly.

I think several people who have never visited Disneyland before often arrive with a few misconceptions. The place has hosted every American President alive since its opening in 1955, and several emperors; kings; queens; and other foreign heads of state. And, naturally, the specialness of the place continues to draw all walks of life from every part of the world to this day.

The Golden Anniversary celebration is attracting record numbers of guests, and the attendance patterns are a little more unpredictable this year than they have been in the past. But, historically, the week before Christmas is the least busy of the year while the week after is the most busy. As long as you take your time, though, you should have no trouble.

Roughly half of the guests who visit Disneyland do so without children, although, during school vacation periods, the ratios do change somewhat. Generally, though, the children and the parents responsible for them behave with decorum since Walt Disney intended for Disneyland to exude an operational tone similar to that of a fine hotel or a fine restaurant. Walt Disney also planned Disneyland to minimize walking distances, so you should feel very comfortable during most of your visit, if you tour Disneyland logically and methodically. The Main Street Vehicles and the Disneyland Railroad can also help you in that regard.

Have a great time!

Matt

divasjp
12-17-2005, 10:56 AM

No problems about your suggestion of a private rendevous...always appropriate.

Thanks for your advice and I'll be sure to let you know how my first trip is.

Cheers Sara