PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding the firehouse.

Syndrome
12-14-2005, 01:01 PM
This one's a long one, but I just wanted to share a story from this past weekend. Me and the wife were in DLR to celebrate our 1st anniversary - we're Disney freaks! :D I've also never been during the holidays, so I was looking forward to seeing the tree and decorations. (It was beautiful by the way.) Anyways, here's my question.

Has anyone here ever sat in the firetruck on Main Street to watch a parade?

For some reason I thought that this was something a lot of us did. I know my wife and her family has been doing it since she was a child, and alot of people I know have done this. That's why I was kind of surprised, and upset actually, that a CM made us get off during the Christmas parade this past weekend.

Me and my wife were at the park on 12/10 and decided to watch the evening Christmas parade. We got there a little earlier and noticed that no one was in the firehouse. So we decide to hop on the truck to get a good view. With about 5 min. left in the parade, a man asks us if we were taking a picture, we said no and told him we were watching the parade. He asked if we could get down so he could take a picture and we told him sure, once the parade was over in 5 min. we would get off. He then went up to the security guy/CM, who witnessed the whole thing, and asked whether or not we were allowed up there. The CM gave us this real annoyed look and said "No, get down." The annoyed look being directed at us.

Again, we've always thought that this was something normal, but apparently not. We felt really crummy afterwards and kinda ticked actually, the CM was really rude to us and treated us like children. I know it's a park for everyone, but we felt like this situation would be the same as if we were sitting in front of the castle, or on the rocking chairs on Main St. If we staked this place out for the parade, and just the parade, why are we forced to move? I don't just walk up to people during the parade and ask them to move just because the location is a good photo-op. The CM was standing in front of the firehouse the whole time and actually went inside a few times and didn't say a word to us. We kind of felt like he viewed us as some "punk kids" afterwards due to our age, and thought that if we were an older couple he wouldn't have bothered us.

What do you guys think? I have a feeling you guys will think it was our bad, but just wanted to get opinions on it. Again, I don't want it to seem like we think we own the place and can sit wherever we want, quite the opposite - we view the park as a place where everyone can have fun and experience something magical. It's just kind of been a tradition and now we're unable to do it.

Honest opinions are welcome, I promise you won't hurt my feelings! :)

lisap
12-14-2005, 02:23 PM
I've never read about or seen people sitting on the firetruck to view the parade, but it seems harmless enough. I'll have to keep an eye out the next time we go. I have a feeling if the guy hadn't asked you to get off so he could take a picture, the CMs wouldn't have said anything.

adriennek
12-14-2005, 02:32 PM
Disregarding attitude or the subjective aspects of the story, I think that the CM was "right" so to speak. I think of the firetruck as a attraction, not really a place to hang out and stake claim to (that sounds harsher than I mean it to, btw.) It's not really in the same category as the rocking chairs on the Main Street porch or a bench in town square.

Adrienne

DaddyB
12-14-2005, 02:35 PM
People sit on the fire truck all the time, and in my book, the CM was totally wrong to tell you to get off, and to be anywhere even close to rude about it. If people are sitting on a park bench and someone wants to take a picture, or watching "Fantasmic" from the bridge in front of "pirates" and someone wants to take a picture, they have to wait. I cannot see the reasoning behind making someone get off the firetruck.

But what could you have done? I suppose just ignore the CM until he actually came over and addressed you properly and then stating the arguement, but that kinda' ruins the enjoyment of the parade anyway, doesn't it?

Let bygones be bygones now, I suppose.

samkj
12-14-2005, 03:12 PM
It seems to me it isn't a bench, but is a photo op for those visiting the park. I think you should've moved so the other people could take a picture.

garrett240
12-14-2005, 09:14 PM
Here a similar example. You have seen that Dumbo elephant they have set up to take pictures? If it's hot out and that is the only shadey place, I can't have my kids camp in there and take an half-hour break. Nobody was in it when we sat down. No, we take our pictures and get out to let others have their turn.

I think the fire truck is the same.

CrazyTrain
12-17-2005, 02:15 PM
I agree that it's an attraction, not a parade watching spot, but if the CM had a problem with it, why didn't he say anything before the man complained?

carolyn
12-17-2005, 06:15 PM
I agree that it's an attraction, not a parade watching spot, but if the CM had a problem with it, why didn't he say anything before the man complained?

Probably because it only became a problem when others wanted to use it. Using the Dumbo analogy, you could sit in the photo-op Dumbo for an hour on a hot day if no one else wanted to use it. But as soon as someone does you should get out.

Maus
12-17-2005, 07:17 PM
Last week I noticed a couple in the golden tea cup eating their lunch. When my family went by later I wanted our photo in the cup and there was a gentleman lounging in it. I politely asked him if we could use it to take a photo and he jumped out immediately. He knew it was a photo op spot.

If you are talking about the fire truck that travels down Main Street I don't see a problem with you sitting in it to watch the parade. But when someone wants to take a photo I think you should relinquish the spot until they finish. It is a photo op spot not seating like a chair or bench.

That said, I don't think the CM should have been rude.

Micki0624
01-13-2006, 03:12 PM
I have sat in the fire truck back when the Main St. Electrical Parade was there. My father always saved the spots about an hour prior to the parades. I think the CM was wrong to ask you. Because so many people do this, if DL doesn't want that used for parades they should put up a simple sign that says so.

junglemom
01-13-2006, 03:33 PM
I read somewhere on an on-line tip to stake that spot out for great parade veiwing. I thought it was here, but could have been on another website. So no your not loosing your mind, others feel like you, that this is a great tradition.

Noah
01-13-2006, 09:14 PM
The firehouse is a photo spot not a parade viewing spot. "Staking it out" is unfair to the other guests who would like to see the vehicle and take pictures with there children on it. This is a old thread and should be locked.